Re: Match day thread vs CHESTERFIELD

Post by Shot By Both Sides » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:40 am

Old Bob wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:34 am
Shot By Both Sides wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:19 pm
Old Bob wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:11 pm
I think you need to look up "factoid", SBBS. It does not mean what you think you does.
It does on Steve Wright in the afternoon (old school Radio 1) which is good enough for me!
Well, OK, if your standards are that low. For my part, I would rather take Norman Mailer (who actually invented the word) as an authority

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/factoid
Oh yes, in fact I pride myself on it.

Wrighty would, like me, have believe that factoid was 'factual' although blindly.

Mailer is interesting to me because I am certain he is referenced in a song I like, possibly Llloyd Cole though I can't place it right now.

Old Bob

Post by Old Bob » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:54 pm

Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:40 am
Old Bob wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:19 pm

It does on Steve Wright in the afternoon (old school Radio 1) which is good enough for me!
Well, OK, if your standards are that low. For my part, I would rather take Norman Mailer (who actually invented the word) as an authority

Wrighty would, like me, have believe that factoid was 'factual' although blindly.

Mailer is interesting to me because I am certain he is referenced in a song I like, possibly Llloyd Cole though I can't place it right now.
Lloyd Cole (not forgetting the Commotions) cited Mailer as a major influence on his lyric writing at the time when "Rattlesnakes" came out. I think he had studied Mailer as a university student at Glasgow.
Norman Mailer's "Ancient Evenings" is one of my all-time favourite books (probably at #2 or thereabouts).

Shot By Both Sides

Post by Shot By Both Sides » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:58 pm

Old Bob wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:54 pm
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:40 am
Old Bob wrote:

Lloyd Cole (not forgetting the Commotions) cited Mailer as a major influence on his lyric writing at the time when "Rattlesnakes" came out. I think he had studied Mailer as a university student at Glasgow.
Norman Mailer's "Ancient Evenings" is one of my all-time favourite books (probably at #2 or thereabouts).
Good work Old Bob! To know I was on the right lines and I was thinking of Rattlesnakes with the references to American Circumstance, On The Waterfront and Simone de Beauvoir. Never read any Mailer at all I'm afraid due to a lack of concentration and focus largely.

Richard Petty

Post by Richard Petty » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:26 pm

A factoid, is a piece of unverified information (or inaccurate information) that has been presented as a fact. A factoid can resemble the appearance of a fact but is not necessarily proven as true.

To see many perfect examples of factoids simply log in to this site on a daily basis :lol:

Dobbin

Post by Dobbin » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:21 pm

Not forgetting Eva Marie Saint. Rattlesnakes wonderful song.

hepcat

Post by hepcat » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:41 pm

lowerbourneshot wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:11 pm
Richard Petty wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:36 am
lowerbourneshot wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:33 am

Beans touching the Egg ,no no and thrice no Oliver.
Don't tell me lowerbourneshot that your a fan of those little pots of beans :evil: now that's a no, no, no from me
Definatly not Richard , Pots of beans very disturbing :shock:
Other pet hates for me are chips in a tin or getting your food served on a roof tile or wooden chopping board.

Richard Petty

Post by Richard Petty » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:06 pm

hepcat wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:41 pm
lowerbourneshot wrote:
Richard Petty wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:36 am

Don't tell me lowerbourneshot that your a fan of those little pots of beans :evil: now that's a no, no, no from me
Other pet hates for me are chips in a tin or getting your food served on a roof tile or wooden chopping board.
Oh yes absolutely another of my pet hates. I stayed at a Hotel near Bristol recently and they served my starter on a piece of Slate, I made a point of criticising that in my Trip Advisor review. Really stupid idea plates are for food and slate as you pointed out is for roofing :twisted:

Old Bob

Post by Old Bob » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:00 pm

Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:58 pm
Good work Old Bob! To know I was on the right lines and I was thinking of Rattlesnakes with the references to American Circumstance, On The Waterfront and Simone de Beauvoir. Never read any Mailer at all I'm afraid due to a lack of concentration and focus largely.
OFF TOPIC WARNING! Nowt to do with Chesterfield, or even football as we know it ...

... but you should give "The Naked and the Dead" a go, SBBS. It's a damn good read. Action-packed war novel. My memory was telling me it was quite a short book, so not requiring too much concentration. But when I checked just now, it discovered it was 721 pages!

Shot By Both Sides

Post by Shot By Both Sides » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:34 pm

Old Bob wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:00 pm
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:58 pm
OFF TOPIC WARNING! Nowt to do with Chesterfield, or even football as we know it ...

... but you should give "The Naked and the Dead" a go, SBBS. It's a damn good read. Action-packed war novel. My memory was telling me it was quite a short book, so not requiring too much concentration. But when I checked just now, it discovered it was 721 pages!
Oh dear. 72 pages I would struggle with. I think comics were more my thing. Small wonder I was content with Viz and Smut.

redblueuptoyou

Post by redblueuptoyou » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:48 pm

Richard Petty wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:06 pm
hepcat wrote:
lowerbourneshot wrote:

Oh yes absolutely another of my pet hates. I stayed at a Hotel near Bristol recently and they served my starter on a piece of Slate, I made a point of criticising that in my Trip Advisor review. Really stupid idea plates are for food and slate as you pointed out is for roofing :twisted:
Have you seen wewantplates.com?

Richard Petty

Post by Richard Petty » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:09 am

redblueuptoyou wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:48 pm
Richard Petty wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:06 pm
hepcat wrote:

Have you seen wewantplates.com?
I hadn't seen it but I have now, I cant believe some of those servings, the one that made me laugh out loud on the home page was the half opened tin of sardines. There are a whole load more to look at on there which I will do while I have my lunch (which will be on a plate).

Anon E Mouse

Post by Anon E Mouse » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:22 pm

I'm surprised in these days of health and safety that any food is allowed to be served on Wooden trays/plates. It only take one small score of the wood, for bacteria to get in and not be able to be properly removed before the next person is served on it. Yuk.

Its also used as a tactic for serving up less food. We are being done over by culinary quirk !

Plates for a reason !

Shot By Both Sides

Post by Shot By Both Sides » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:51 pm

Anon E Mouse wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:22 pm
I'm surprised in these days of health and safety that any food is allowed to be served on Wooden trays/plates. It only take one small score of the wood, for bacteria to get in and not be able to be properly removed before the next person is served on it. Yuk.

Its also used as a tactic for serving up less food. We are being done over by culinary quirk !

Plates for a reason !
What about those wooden forks in fish and chip shops too.

Richard Petty

Post by Richard Petty » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:07 pm

Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:51 pm
Anon E Mouse wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:22 pm

Plates for a reason !
What about those wooden forks in fish and chip shops too.
Wooden forks are ok as they give you a clear option use them or use your fingers (as fish and chips should be enjoyed) however not everyone wants to get their fingers greasy so having the choice is good.

Reminds me of a anecdote from years ago when I was going out with a Scottish girl and out at the coast one day we stopped off at a fish and chip shop that had tables inside and sat down to eat, they gave us a just a little plastic fork to eat with. Diane turned to the guy at the counter and asked for a proper fork and knife. He came over slammed just a knife down on the table and said no need to be so bloody rude. It took a little while then we realised that with her Scottish accent what he thought she had said and it wasn't "Fork & Knife" :lol:

Shot By Both Sides

Post by Shot By Both Sides » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:38 pm

I'd forgotten about this until just now. If you go back to the match post...

https://calling-the-shots.com/2019/12/0 ... spireites/

First fifteen minutes of Saturday's game from inside the East Bank. Decent quality and well worth a listen, I've stuck it at the top of the post. It's like having the East Bank in your living room.