Saving The Planet

steveshot
Posts: 234
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:41 pm
Re: Saving The Planet

Post by steveshot » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:46 pm

I’ll think before I fart and rather than let rip I’ll try and hold it, saving the planet

Trouts
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:44 pm
Re: Saving The Planet

Post by Trouts » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:41 pm

Image

Anon E Mouse
Posts: 1589
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:29 pm
Re: Saving The Planet

Post by Anon E Mouse » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:47 pm

Stenhouse wrote: ↑
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:31 pm
I understand that the UK is responsible for 2% of the pollution responsible for global warming, and hopes to be carbon neutral by 2050. Just need to work on the other 98%. Will Brazil, Pakistan, India, China, Russia and the USA be making any targets of their own, or do we just hope that our own carbon friendly air just gravitates around the British Isles in 2050?
Exactly. Separating your waste into 4 different bins every few weeks will mean nothing while these power house countries turn their backs on the issue.

If the blooming posties didn't keep posting tonnes of blinking junk mail through our doors daily it would help too.

Taps fingers repeatedly on keyboard and waits.....

steveshot
Posts: 234
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:41 pm
Re: Saving The Planet

Post by steveshot » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:03 pm

You won’t wait for long πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ€ΊπŸ™ˆ

Reg's corner
Posts: 268
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:37 pm
Re: Saving The Planet

Post by Reg's corner » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:56 pm

Don't forget austrailia, mine gigantic amounts of coal

scorp
Posts: 487
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:54 pm
Location: England
Re: Saving The Planet

Post by scorp » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:15 am

Lazio wrote: ↑
Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:08 pm
All through the history of the earth there have been ice ages then it warms up, nothing has changed.
Sainsbury's charging 20p for a carrier bag wont save a single polar bear and some dopey Swedish girl wittering on and sailing across the Atlantic (shame the boat didn't sink) what is the point.
The earth has the same amount of minerals gasses etc as it has always had, we live in a bubble it just goes round in circles nature always sorts things out.
What are you on? I'd like some of it.

Fuggletim
Posts: 247
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:16 pm
Location: Whitehill
Re: Saving The Planet

Post by Fuggletim » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:53 am

Lazio wrote: ↑
Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:08 pm
All through the history of the earth there have been ice ages then it warms up, nothing has changed.
Sainsbury's charging 20p for a carrier bag wont save a single polar bear and some dopey Swedish girl wittering on and sailing across the Atlantic (shame the boat didn't sink) what is the point.
The earth has the same amount of minerals gasses etc as it has always had, we live in a bubble it just goes round in circles nature always sorts things out.
Your last paragraph is very interesting. Long before "Climate Change" became an all consuming subject, back in the 1980's the point about the planet still having everything it has always had was being discussed. In actual fact if you think of all the stuff we have shot off into space never to return, there is actually very slightly less.

So why is change happening? Nature does have a habit of sorting all of this out, but the problem I believe is that we are putting the bad stuff back into the atmosphere at a far faster rate than nature can deal with it.

80fc
Posts: 206
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 12:20 pm
Re: Saving The Planet

Post by 80fc » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:12 am

Fuggletim wrote: ↑
Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:53 am
Lazio wrote: ↑
Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:08 pm
All through the history of the earth there have been ice ages then it warms up, nothing has changed.
Sainsbury's charging 20p for a carrier bag wont save a single polar bear and some dopey Swedish girl wittering on and sailing across the Atlantic (shame the boat didn't sink) what is the point.
The earth has the same amount of minerals gasses etc as it has always had, we live in a bubble it just goes round in circles nature always sorts things out.
Your last paragraph is very interesting. Long before "Climate Change" became an all consuming subject, back in the 1980's the point about the planet still having everything it has always had was being discussed. In actual fact if you think of all the stuff we have shot off into space never to return, there is actually very slightly less.

So why is change happening? Nature does have a habit of sorting all of this out, but the problem I believe is that we are putting the bad stuff back into the atmosphere at a far faster rate than nature can deal with it.
Nature will deal with it, it's just that humans won't be around to see it

MANNIMIST
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:59 pm
Re: Saving The Planet

Post by MANNIMIST » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:07 am

Remember my last visit to Forest Green and watching Dale Vince hovering over the ground for about ten minutes
in his green painted helicopter.
But it was probably OK as it was of bamboo construction!!
These 'preachy' big boys must think we're so gullible.

scorp
Posts: 487
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:54 pm
Location: England
Re: Saving The Planet

Post by scorp » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:52 pm

Some of the comments, parts of Lazio's included, here, remind me of a conversation i had year or so ago with a slightly unnerving type:

He: "People should be allowed to build houses where they like."

Me: "But what about the Green Belt?"

He: "What's that?"

Cph.shots
Posts: 355
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:44 pm
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Re: Saving The Planet

Post by Cph.shots » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:06 pm

Anon E Mouse wrote: ↑
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:47 pm
Stenhouse wrote: ↑
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:31 pm
I understand that the UK is responsible for 2% of the pollution responsible for global warming, and hopes to be carbon neutral by 2050. Just need to work on the other 98%. Will Brazil, Pakistan, India, China, Russia and the USA be making any targets of their own, or do we just hope that our own carbon friendly air just gravitates around the British Isles in 2050?
Exactly. Separating your waste into 4 different bins every few weeks will mean nothing while these power house countries turn their backs on the issue.

If the blooming posties didn't keep posting tonnes of blinking junk mail through our doors daily it would help too.

Taps fingers repeatedly on keyboard and waits.....
Most of Europe and Scandinavia are doing as much or more than the UK to combat climate change and some have been doing it for a damn sight longer, the UK believe it or not is still lagging behind in some areas, no deposits on canned or bottled drinks for example. Australia, Canada and NZ are also taking great steps. If all these countries said "what's the point, so so and isn't doing enough" wouldn't be very constructive (IMHO). I'd imagine that a lot of pressure is being put on the countries you mention to do their but but we can also help that by buying less "stuff" buy second hand where possible, try to get things repaired, buy more locally produced goods where possible.

PS. I did not get this from someone in the know.

scorp
Posts: 487
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:54 pm
Location: England
Re: Saving The Planet

Post by scorp » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:54 pm

Anon E Mouse wrote: ↑
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:47 pm
Stenhouse wrote: ↑
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:31 pm
I understand that the UK is responsible for 2% of the pollution responsible for global warming, and hopes to be carbon neutral by 2050. Just need to work on the other 98%. Will Brazil, Pakistan, India, China, Russia and the USA be making any targets of their own, or do we just hope that our own carbon friendly air just gravitates around the British Isles in 2050?
Exactly. Separating your waste into 4 different bins every few weeks will mean nothing while these power house countries turn their backs on the issue.

If the blooming posties didn't keep posting tonnes of blinking junk mail through our doors daily it would help too.

Taps fingers repeatedly on keyboard and waits.....
Anon, the waste separation has sweet fanny adams, or little, to do with the glorious china and India [& etc] smokestackers. It's to do with what to do with, and where do we put, the waste, in or on our green and pleasant land [or what's left of it]. In some cases it's burned to produce electricity, but i imagine the anti-green ideologies still moan, harking back to the good old days when they were't required by the state, or the EU, lol, to separate their waste.

Charles Dickens
Posts: 205
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:38 am
Re: Saving The Planet

Post by Charles Dickens » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:01 pm

The UK is of course peanut size compared with the rest of the world, so the sacrifice of all our green targets will only destroy our industries and hoist up the cost of living, whilst global warming continues its own sweet way throughout most of the rest of the world. Meanwhile apparently we are to be guided by the juvenile thoughts of school children to determine our future. As Arthur English use to say, "Open the Cage and let me out!"

The simple remedy to seriously tackle global warming is obvious, i.e a target to cut world population by say 50% by 2030. However, political correctness rules this solution to the trash bin.

Ancient Shot
Posts: 736
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:30 pm
Re: Saving The Planet

Post by Ancient Shot » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:04 pm

scorp wrote: ↑
Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:52 pm
Some of the comments, parts of Lazio's included, here, remind me of a conversation i had year or so ago with a slightly unnerving type:

He: "People should be allowed to build houses where they like."

Me: "But what about the Green Belt?"

He: "What's that?"
It's thousands of hectares of highly polluted farm land which has had chemicals ploughed into it year on year

But the food tastes good

Lazio
Posts: 476
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:42 pm
Re: Saving The Planet

Post by Lazio » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:18 pm

Just seen that silly child get off her boat and start lecturing everyone. Why is she not at school?


Post Reply