Football Betting (and The Shots)

redblueuptoyou
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 1:52 pm
Re: Football Betting (and The Shots)

Post by redblueuptoyou » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:44 am

Lazio wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:37 pm
If you have a problem with gambling simply don't have a bet.
If only it were that simple... Addiction is an illness.

lanternhall
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:37 am
Re: Football Betting (and The Shots)

Post by lanternhall » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:55 am

Lazio wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:37 pm
Not all of us want to live in a nanny state and as was posted earlier no complaints when we won The Blue Square Conference. If you have a problem with gambling simply don't have a bet.
You are a very naive person. As has been posted earlier. Advertising encourages addiction. Alcohol, gambling etc.

Tell you what, let's go your way. Let's allow shops to sell knives to kids. There was no problem when my 14 year old bought one for my kitchen.

shotshammo
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:44 am
Re: Football Betting (and The Shots)

Post by shotshammo » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:59 am

Lazio wrote: ↑
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:37 pm
Not all of us want to live in a nanny state and as was posted earlier no complaints when we won The Blue Square Conference. If you have a problem with gambling simply don't have a bet.

I've got news for you, I have a daughter who's job is looking after the nannies of this world, thank goodness she doesn't mind living in a nanny state. (you'll hopefully be there one day)
I honestly wasn't aware we won "The Blue Square Conference" through gambling, I thought it was by playing football. :o

Lazio
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:42 pm
Re: Football Betting (and The Shots)

Post by Lazio » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:24 pm

lanternhall wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:55 am
Lazio wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:37 pm
Not all of us want to live in a nanny state and as was posted earlier no complaints when we won The Blue Square Conference. If you have a problem with gambling simply don't have a bet.
You are a very naive person. As has been posted earlier. Advertising encourages addiction. Alcohol, gambling etc.

Tell you what, let's go your way. Let's allow shops to sell knives to kids. There was no problem when my 14 year old bought one for my kitchen.
I have seen more addiction over the past 35 years than you could believe.
Addiction comes from the person not the source, if you can't handle things don't do them, self awareness is a wonderful thing.There are people who cant handle things it doesn't mean others have to suffer because of them. You don't close all the pubs because some people are alcoholic, same logic applies to bookies/racecourses/football grounds and almost every other pastime because a few people have an issue. There are plenty of safeguards and support in place to help people set limits. If your 14 year old daughter bought a knife I would suggest you report the shop to the authorities as they are breaking the law selling it to her.

Lazio
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:42 pm
Re: Football Betting (and The Shots)

Post by Lazio » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:26 pm

shotshammo wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:59 am
Lazio wrote: ↑
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:37 pm
Not all of us want to live in a nanny state and as was posted earlier no complaints when we won The Blue Square Conference. If you have a problem with gambling simply don't have a bet.

I've got news for you, I have a daughter who's job is looking after the nannies of this world, thank goodness she doesn't mind living in a nanny state. (you'll hopefully be there one day)
I honestly wasn't aware we won "The Blue Square Conference" through gambling, I thought it was by playing football. :o
Did the club take the prize money?

Disturbed Postie
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:42 pm
Re: Football Betting (and The Shots)

Post by Disturbed Postie » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:56 pm

I think it’s solely the fault of the individual, I can personally give up drinking right now with complete ease as I only average about 5 beers a week, used to be about 10 which is only about 1.5 per day, as for betting, I’ve done loads of damage unfortunately, nobody else to blame but me, if it wasn’t for betting I could quite easily retire now at 49 and never work again but because of my stupidity I’ll probably work till I’m about 67, oh well it can be a nice job in the summer, as for drink drivers, utter complete vermin!

Lazio
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:42 pm
Re: Football Betting (and The Shots)

Post by Lazio » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:43 pm

Good on you DP, nice to hear someone taking responsibility for their own life rather than playing the victim.

Disturbed Postie
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:42 pm
Re: Football Betting (and The Shots)

Post by Disturbed Postie » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:53 pm

Lazio wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:43 pm
Good on you DP, nice to hear someone taking responsibility for their own life rather than playing the victim.
No point blaming others, totally my fault, wish I could turn the clock back to 2003 but I can’t, got to carry on with life, simple as that!

lowerbourneshot
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:29 pm
Location: The Ex Legion now Lower Bourne Social Club
Re: Football Betting (and The Shots)

Post by lowerbourneshot » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:04 pm

Disturbed Postie wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:56 pm
I think it’s solely the fault of the individual, I can personally give up drinking right now with complete ease as I only average about 5 beers a week, used to be about 10 which is only about 1.5 per day, as for betting, I’ve done loads of damage unfortunately, nobody else to blame but me, if it wasn’t for betting I could quite easily retire now at 49 and never work again but because of my stupidity I’ll probably work till I’m about 67, oh well it can be a nice job in the summer, as for drink drivers, utter complete vermin!
A brave statement to make on here DP.

Disturbed Postie
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:42 pm
Re: Football Betting (and The Shots)

Post by Disturbed Postie » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:10 pm

lowerbourneshot wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:04 pm
Disturbed Postie wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:56 pm
I think it’s solely the fault of the individual, I can personally give up drinking right now with complete ease as I only average about 5 beers a week, used to be about 10 which is only about 1.5 per day, as for betting, I’ve done loads of damage unfortunately, nobody else to blame but me, if it wasn’t for betting I could quite easily retire now at 49 and never work again but because of my stupidity I’ll probably work till I’m about 67, oh well it can be a nice job in the summer, as for drink drivers, utter complete vermin!
A brave statement to make on here DP.
Could have made it years ago village, lazio is right though, some people choose to do stupid things and mine is betting and what drives me mad is I came close to getting all of it back in may 2017 but couldn’t resist, nasty day that was!

Lazio
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:42 pm
Re: Football Betting (and The Shots)

Post by Lazio » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:23 pm

DP just enjoy what you have. I would be a rich man, if I had made the choice years ago to stop going to football or having a bet and bought more houses Instead. However I like football and having a bet so I have no regrets. life is too short to worry as long as you havent caused harm to anyone.

Josh
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 4:34 pm
Re: Football Betting (and The Shots)

Post by Josh » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:39 pm

Lazio wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:37 pm
I have seen more addiction over the past 35 years than you could believe.
Addiction comes from the person not the source, if you can't handle things don't do them, self awareness is a wonderful thing.There are people who cant handle things it doesn't mean others have to suffer because of them. You don't close all the pubs because some people are alcoholic, same logic applies to bookies/racecourses/football grounds and almost every other pastime because a few people have an issue. There are plenty of safeguards and support in place to help people set limits. If your 14 year old daughter bought a knife I would suggest you report the shop to the authorities as they are breaking the law selling it to her.
[/quote]

Lazio, I don't think anyone has said gambling should be outlawed and no one has said anyone should stop betting because some people get addicted. They have said gambling advertising should not be promoted which is a separate matter. Until the bookmakers brought in their own legislation about not showing adverts before 9pm, you couldn't watch a game of football without witness "Tap Tap Boom," or Ray Winstone talking about the latest special odds. If you think it's a good idea that children can watch football and learn all about the art of gambling then that is fine but the bookmakers disagree with you.

It's the same with smoking. Smoking advertising was banned many years ago but smoking is still legal. The Government obviously felt it wasn't right that a habit which had a correlation with cancer should be promoted.

People have the right to choose what they want. It's whether it is correct to promote a habit which we know is causing problems to people.

Disturbed Postie
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:42 pm
Re: Football Betting (and The Shots)

Post by Disturbed Postie » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:13 pm

Lazio wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:23 pm
DP just enjoy what you have. I would be a rich man, if I had made the choice years ago to stop going to football or having a bet and bought more houses Instead. However I like football and having a bet so I have no regrets. life is too short to worry as long as you havent caused harm to anyone.
Only myself and thanks anyway 👍

FATBOY
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:49 pm
Location: Aldershot
Contact:
Re: Football Betting (and The Shots)

Post by FATBOY » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:49 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/ ... a93c4d3671

Ask Scotty Davies what he thinks...

Lazio
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:42 pm
Re: Football Betting (and The Shots)

Post by Lazio » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:16 pm

FATBOY wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:49 pm
https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/ ... a93c4d3671

Ask Scotty Davies what he thinks...
Did anybody grab hold of him and drag him into the bookies?Harsh maybe but everyone has to make their own decisions in life and live with the consequences. Personally I prefer George Bests outlook " I spent my money on wine women and fast cars, the rest I just wasted".


Post Reply