Re: Corona Virus

Post by scorp » Thu May 21, 2020 7:14 pm

Mytshot wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 7:13 pm
Fuggletim wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 6:46 pm
Wokingham Shot wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 2:25 pm
Tony..excellent summary. You key word is Regional. Germany is a collection of federal states who often act independently. By allowing this, rather than a one size fits all approach, and supporting the area in most need via national overview, they managed the crisis within the national infrastructure (also were able to accommodated 70 Dutch into their IC units along the border).
That and their world class health facilities and stunning efficiency!!
Paradoxically for very much the same reason, this is probably why the USA has become such a mess with Covid (Donald probably wouldn't agree though). There appears little national strategy and co-ordination with the various State Governments doing a "Fleetwood Mac" and going their own way and wanting to disregard such medical and scientific evidence that exists.
I think there’s such a hatred and mistrust between Republicans and Democrats that the politics seems more important than solving the problem.
Spot on. The USA's civil war never really ended.

Crowthorne

Post by Crowthorne » Thu May 21, 2020 7:42 pm

Wokingham Shot wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 2:25 pm
Tony..excellent summary. You key word is Regional. Germany is a collection of federal states who often act independently. By allowing this, rather than a one size fits all approach, and supporting the area in most need via national overview, they managed the crisis within the national infrastructure (also were able to accommodated 70 Dutch into their IC units along the border).
That and their world class health facilities and stunning efficiency!!
A bit early to say they managed the crisis, that wont be known for at least a year

lanternhall

Post by lanternhall » Thu May 21, 2020 8:21 pm

scorp wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:14 pm
Mytshot wrote:
Fuggletim wrote:

Paradoxically for very much the same reason, this is probably why the USA has become such a mess with Covid (Donald probably wouldn't agree though). There appears little national strategy and co-ordination with the various State Governments doing a "Fleetwood Mac" and going their own way and wanting to disregard such medical and scientific evidence that exists.
I think there’s such a hatred and mistrust between Republicans and Democrats that the politics seems more important than solving the problem.
You are completely right. The South is still racist and intollent. Klu, Klu, Klan still exists.

tonygodfrey

Post by tonygodfrey » Thu May 21, 2020 9:49 pm

Localshot wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 6:01 pm
Tony...I agree but I must admit to not truly understanding how it works. The most likely chance of me catching the virus is when walking the dog. If I caught it I would have absolutely no idea whom those people might be if I was asked whom I met. Maybe it was the man with the husky!! I hope it does work of course.
The contract tracing app might work in the case of your dog walking. If you'd both downloaded the app and one of you reported potential symptoms the other would be alerted if the app had recorded that you'd been within 2 metres of each other in the past few days (at least that is my understanding, others may know better). That would be, in theory, in addition to verbal contact tracing of any personally reported contacts of anyone who tested positive.

In practise it is probably very unlikely that you would catch the virus just by passing someone in the street but it is possible. The great majority of "superspreader" cases seem to occur in indoor settings where people are in a group and exposed to each others breath in activities such as choir practises, gyms and conferences so those are likely to be the most risky type of situations.

Mytshot

Post by Mytshot » Fri May 22, 2020 12:02 pm

scorp wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:14 pm
Mytshot wrote:
Fuggletim wrote:

Right wing government, novelty circus act of a leader, the centre left can't get its act together. Could be describing the UK.

Localshot

Post by Localshot » Fri May 22, 2020 12:30 pm

The alternative in power would carry even less weight.

Mytshot

Post by Mytshot » Fri May 22, 2020 12:43 pm

Localshot wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:30 pm
The competency bar must be at an all time low if the alternative to the current lot is worse.

Crowthorne

Post by Crowthorne » Fri May 22, 2020 2:05 pm

Mytshot wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:43 pm
Localshot wrote:
The competency bar must be at an all time low if the alternative to the current lot is worse.
The thought of the alternatives either here or the US before the last elections would be too horrendous to contemplate. One being an anti semite who managed to get his party investigated like the BNP and leaving it's new leader to apologise for it. The other totally ignoring the rust belt states and taking their votes for granted, and not even caring about her husband using the White House as a knocking shop when he was in charge.

Localshot

Post by Localshot » Fri May 22, 2020 2:54 pm

Mytshot wrote:
Localshot wrote:
Not a big fan of Boris but if not him in charge it would have been Jeremy. Gawd help us with that scenario.

Trouts

Post by Trouts » Fri May 22, 2020 4:01 pm

Localshot wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 2:54 pm
Mytshot wrote:
Localshot wrote:
Not a big fan of Boris but if not him in charge it would have been Jeremy. Gawd help us with that scenario.
not necessarily, there were other choices.
and yes yes i know, not proven etc, but c'mon, would we really be in a worse place than we are now?...

Localshot

Post by Localshot » Fri May 22, 2020 4:15 pm

Jeremy only resigned after he lost the election. If he had won he would have continued to lead Labour. So the answer to your question is probably yes.
No-one actually knows for sure whether the decisions made by the government regards the virus were correct or incorrect. Unless the alternatives were actually in place it is all conjecture.

Fuggletim

Post by Fuggletim » Fri May 22, 2020 4:19 pm

Think the question whether we would have been in a better place is equally as valid. We will never know.

Trouts

Post by Trouts » Fri May 22, 2020 4:40 pm

Localshot wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 4:15 pm
Jeremy only resigned after he lost the election. If he had won he would have continued to lead Labour. So the answer to your question is probably yes.
No-one actually knows for sure whether the decisions made by the government regards the virus were correct or incorrect. Unless the alternatives were actually in place it is all conjecture.
well yeah we obviously can't know for sure but, based on the fact we've got the second worse death count in the world, i'd disagree, it's a pretty reasonable guess that we wouldn't be in a worse place.

oh and i think everyone can be sure the decision they made re. care homes was incorrect.

James Frazer

Post by James Frazer » Fri May 22, 2020 5:12 pm

Our system of democracy is probably past its best. That is probably why there is so much division. Too many people do not engage and the government of the day is effectively representing the views of a minority.
For example, Johnson’s “overwhelming mandate” was achieved by winning less than 14 million votes from an electorate of 47.5 million - less than 30% of the eligible voters backed this government which suggests that up to 70% of the country is likely to feel less than happy.

Localshot

Post by Localshot » Fri May 22, 2020 5:19 pm

Second worse death rate at the moment...on that basis others are catching up fast. Of course there are some countries like Russia and China which hide the true facts on deaths.
Alternatively if you look at the rate per millions of population we are better than others. Indeed Sweden were touted as a good example of controlling the virus but they are worse than us.

Our situation is far from good but alternatively it could be a lot worse. When you consider the number of care homes that have never had the virus one cannot be sure that how the Government dealt with the virus was wrong as you state. All conjecture.