Corona Virus

Post Reply
Crowthorne
Posts: 160
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:18 pm
Re: Corona Virus

Post by Crowthorne » Fri May 22, 2020 5:51 pm

Good to hear PP pay tribute to Lee Rigby and the children murdered on todays date. I have seen or heard nothing in the mainstream media.

Shot By Both Sides
Posts: 349
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:11 pm
Contact:
Re: Corona Virus

Post by Shot By Both Sides » Fri May 22, 2020 7:22 pm

Yes, other important news gets squeezed out, overridden by pandemic mania.

Strong winds in the south tomorrow!

Charles Dickens
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:38 am
Re: Corona Virus

Post by Charles Dickens » Fri May 22, 2020 8:06 pm

Trouts wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 4:01 pm
Localshot wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 2:54 pm
Mytshot wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:43 pm


The competency bar must be at an all time low if the alternative to the current lot is worse.
Not a big fan of Boris but if not him in charge it would have been Jeremy. Gawd help us with that scenario.
not necessarily, there were other choices.
and yes yes i know, not proven etc, but c'mon, would we really be in a worse place than we are now?...
The situation that we are in now is as a result of a pandemic, not the fault of Boris or Jeremy or even Trump, though not too sure about China.The suggestion that a different Government(Labour) would have performed better, is as admitted not proven and simply playing party politics out of an international crisis. Leave this to Kier Hardie, who is very good at it.

Birdman
Posts: 559
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:47 am
Location: Aldershot
Re: Corona Virus

Post by Birdman » Fri May 22, 2020 8:06 pm

James Frazer wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 5:12 pm
Our system of democracy is probably past its best. That is probably why there is so much division. Too many people do not engage and the government of the day is effectively representing the views of a minority.
For example, Johnson’s “overwhelming mandate” was achieved by winning less than 14 million votes from an electorate of 47.5 million - less than 30% of the eligible voters backed this government which suggests that up to 70% of the country is likely to feel less than happy.
You can only go by those of the electorate who voted, not those that could have. I’m not going to disagree with your point that the government didn’t get a majority of the electorate that voted as the figures prove that to be the case (they only achieved 43.6%). The percentage of the electorate that didn’t vote through choice though can’t imo complain about the outcome. Whether they are now less than happy or not, they declined the opportunity to let their vote count, for whichever party. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election/2019/results
Liken it if you will to the Referendum result. Approximately 72% of the electorate voted of whom 52% voted leave and 48% for remain (figures rounded +- to the nearest whole number). 28% didn’t vote in a basic two horse race.
To me, if you choose not to vote then don’t complain if an election/referendum doesn’t go the way that you wanted.

Pip@B
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:58 am
Location: more remote than Nobby's world
Re: Corona Virus

Post by Pip@B » Fri May 22, 2020 8:43 pm

Birdman wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:06 pm
James Frazer wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 5:12 pm
Our system of democracy is probably past its best. That is probably why there is so much division. Too many people do not engage and the government of the day is effectively representing the views of a minority.
For example, Johnson’s “overwhelming mandate” was achieved by winning less than 14 million votes from an electorate of 47.5 million - less than 30% of the eligible voters backed this government which suggests that up to 70% of the country is likely to feel less than happy.
You can only go by those of the electorate who voted, not those that could have. I’m not going to disagree with your point that the government didn’t get a majority of the electorate that voted as the figures prove that to be the case (they only achieved 43.6%). The percentage of the electorate that didn’t vote through choice though can’t imo complain about the outcome. Whether they are now less than happy or not, they declined the opportunity to let their vote count, for whichever party. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election/2019/results
Liken it if you will to the Referendum result. Approximately 72% of the electorate voted of whom 52% voted leave and 48% for remain (figures rounded +- to the nearest whole number). 28% didn’t vote in a basic two horse race.
To me, if you choose not to vote then don’t complain if an election/referendum doesn’t go the way that you wanted.
My dad told me if you don't vote you shouldn't complain.

Crowthorne
Posts: 160
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:18 pm
Re: Corona Virus

Post by Crowthorne » Fri May 22, 2020 8:59 pm

My dad told me I wasn't planned.

Disturbed Postie
Posts: 705
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:42 pm
Re: Corona Virus

Post by Disturbed Postie » Fri May 22, 2020 9:07 pm

I reckon alcohol was the reason I was brought to the crease in a public house in Reading at the start of the 8th decade in the 20th century!

Shot By Both Sides
Posts: 349
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:11 pm
Contact:
Re: Corona Virus

Post by Shot By Both Sides » Fri May 22, 2020 10:05 pm

I've never voted and I'm not complaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDXEvQxW_Qg

redblueuptoyou
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 1:52 pm
Re: Corona Virus

Post by redblueuptoyou » Fri May 22, 2020 10:22 pm

Crowthorne wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 5:51 pm
Good to hear PP pay tribute to Lee Rigby and the children murdered on todays date. I have seen or heard nothing in the mainstream media.
Hopefully they will pay tribute to Jo Cox on the anniversary of her death.

Those people saying you can’t complain if you don’t vote are right. You must vote, even if it’s to spoil the ballot.

Somerset Shot
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:49 pm
Location: Somerset
Re: Corona Virus

Post by Somerset Shot » Fri May 22, 2020 11:02 pm

Dominic Cummings Is now in the firing line and, if the reports are accurate, deservedly so. It’s hard to believe that it’s only six months since the GE, so much has happened since then. Johnson’s lifelong ambition has unravelled in spectacular fashion and the potential loss of Cummings from his inner circle would heap even more misery on his dreadful tenure thus far. What price this Government collapses within the next year...?

Crowthorne
Posts: 160
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:18 pm
Re: Corona Virus

Post by Crowthorne » Fri May 22, 2020 11:19 pm

Somerset Shot wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:02 pm
Dominic Cummings Is now in the firing line and, if the reports are accurate, deservedly so. It’s hard to believe that it’s only six months since the GE, so much has happened since then. Johnson’s lifelong ambition has unravelled in spectacular fashion and the potential loss of Cummings from his inner circle would heap even more misery on his dreadful tenure thus far. What price this Government collapses within the next year...?
Could be heading to the Lords with the Prince of Darkness.

redblueuptoyou
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 1:52 pm
Re: Corona Virus

Post by redblueuptoyou » Fri May 22, 2020 11:22 pm

Somerset Shot wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:02 pm
Dominic Cummings Is now in the firing line and, if the reports are accurate, deservedly so. It’s hard to believe that it’s only six months since the GE, so much has happened since then. Johnson’s lifelong ambition has unravelled in spectacular fashion and the potential loss of Cummings from his inner circle would heap even more misery on his dreadful tenure thus far. What price this Government collapses within the next year...?
Surely Cummings has to go after this?

He won’t though. Seemingly one of the untouchables. Always did seem odd the way he ran from Downing Street after being diagnosed.

Crowthorne
Posts: 160
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:18 pm
Re: Corona Virus

Post by Crowthorne » Fri May 22, 2020 11:25 pm

redblueuptoyou wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 10:22 pm
Crowthorne wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 5:51 pm
Good to hear PP pay tribute to Lee Rigby and the children murdered on todays date. I have seen or heard nothing in the mainstream media.
Hopefully they will pay tribute to Jo Cox on the anniversary of her death.

Those people saying you can’t complain if you don’t vote are right. You must vote, even if it’s to spoil the ballot.
Let's hope they do.
The only reason I wouldn't vote would be if it was made compulsory, at the moment I vote for an independent rather than any party.

lanternhall
Posts: 596
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:37 am
Re: Corona Virus

Post by lanternhall » Fri May 22, 2020 11:32 pm

Crowthorne wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 2:05 pm
Mytshot wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:43 pm
Localshot wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:30 pm
The alternative in power would carry even less weight.
The competency bar must be at an all time low if the alternative to the current lot is worse.
The thought of the alternatives either here or the US before the last elections would be too horrendous to contemplate. One being an anti semite who managed to get his party investigated like the BNP and leaving it's new leader to apologise for it. The other totally ignoring the rust belt states and taking their votes for granted, and not even caring about her husband using the White House as a knocking shop when he was in charge.
You read too many headlines and don't decipher the truth.

lanternhall
Posts: 596
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:37 am
Re: Corona Virus

Post by lanternhall » Fri May 22, 2020 11:39 pm

Localshot wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 4:15 pm
Jeremy only resigned after he lost the election. If he had won he would have continued to lead Labour. So the answer to your question is probably yes.
No-one actually knows for sure whether the decisions made by the government regards the virus were correct or incorrect. Unless the alternatives were actually in place it is all conjecture.
If you do some research, you will discover that it was Corbyn who suggested furlough.


Post Reply