Corona Virus

Shot By Both Sides
Re: Corona Virus

Post by Shot By Both Sides » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:01 pm

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-heal ... ths-cases/

Leicester and some surrounding areas back on lockdown due to a spike.
Non-essential shops will close tomorrow and pubs and restaurants will not re-open on July 4 as planned, Matt Hancock said in a statement to the House of Commons.

Schools will also close on Thursday, apart from to the children of key workers.

Mr Hancock advised against all but essential travel in Leicester and said the Government could take further steps to enforce social distancing rules if they are not followed.

Old Bob

Post by Old Bob » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:08 pm

hepcat wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:36 pm
Old Bob wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:58 am
Crowthorne wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:01 pm
JC has gone and Starmer has got rid of the anti semite Wrong-Bailey he can at least try to get Labour back to its roots.
That's very simplistic. The situation with regard to the Labour Party and anti-semitism is complicated, but here's my take:
There is a fundamental difference between anti-Zionism and anti-semitism. The former is a legitimate political persuasion; the latter is unacceptable racism.
Pro-Zionists have always sought to confuse the two, portraying anti-Zionism as anti-semitism, as a way of damping down criticism of the state of Israel.
There is a tradition of anti-Zionism on the Labour left, much of it coming from Jewish people themselves.
Like any large "broad church" organisation, the Labour Party has probably always had a few anti-semites among its ranks.
Jeremy Corbyn was/is an anti-Zionist but (in my judgement) was/is as far from being an anti-semite as it's possible to be.
Corbyn's leadership of the Labour Party, and his open anti-Zionism, gave anti-semites in the Labour Party the courage to come out of the woodwork and start expressing their odious views more openly.
The Labour Party leadership was not quick enough to stamp this out as strongly as they should have done, probably because they were themselves confused about the issue, seeing claims of institutional anti-semitism as attacks on their traditional, legitimate anti-Zionism.

That was the position when Kier Starmer took over from Corbyn. The Labour Party was not institutionally anti-semitic, and was improperly under attack from Zionists who sought to confuse anti-Zionism with anti-semitism. However, they could have done more to root out a very small amount of anti-semitism among a very small number of racists in the party.

To my mind, Starmer now sees political capital in being "pro-Zionist" (as it were), in effect treating claims of institutional Labour anti-semitism as legitimate when they are not. So he has taken the opportunity to sack Rebecca Long-Bailey as a win-win. He wins by establishing his credentials as someone who is going to take seriously and root out (virtually non-existent) anti-semitism; he wins by making an excuse to get shot of a political rival. It's an act of desperate opportunism.

If you look at Long-Bailey's record, it is plain to see that she is no anti-semite. But then you'd have to do a bit of background research, which might not be to your taste.

Just to point out finally that I am no supporter of Labour or any of the large political parties. Big party politics is in my mind a disaster for us all.
The problem is that Corbyn IS an anti-Semite ; anyone who has been involved with Labour over the last 40 odd years will confirm. No anti racist would ever share platforms with known racists and terrorists once. Corbyn did regularly. A genuine anti racist would say "I support the Palestinian people, but I will never share a platform or attend any functions with people who advocate race hate and murder as solutions" Corbyn never said this. Tellingly he ran a mile from his threat to sue Rachael Riley for correctly calling him a racist as he knew RR's lawyer (who sued Kate Hopkins for Jack Monroe) had a mountain of evidence he'd have to face. Also, he never did a thing about the vile race hate in Labour that grew under him (not surprising as he shares the views) Images downloaded from the far right Aryan Nation website and he does nothing , conspiracy theories and he does nothing. Long Bailey shared and refused to take down an anti-Semitic conspiracy theory. That's antisemitism. It is not a point about Israeli politics. I think it is Labour who are confused about what is racism and legitimate protest against Israeli politics ; why else spout the conspiracy theories of the far right ? (again this highlights the total similarities between the far right and far left) You get daft comments like "He met with elected MP's like Adams and McGuiness ; right; so a Tory meeting with elected BNP councillors is ok then ? I loathe all politicians; all self serving charlatans and hypocrites. The total lack of questioning Corbyn and the race hate he allowed to flourish has completely undermined labour. They may have to reform in order to ditch and expunge the huge stain left by Corbyn.
Wow! You certainly seem to have a low threshold for accepting that Corbyn IS (as you put it) an anti-semite. In fact, you seem to take it as a given, which somewhat begs the question, doesn't it? You don't really have to bother to argue the case if you assert it as a fact from the outset.
As for me, I prefer to go on the basis of evidence and the actions of the person concerned. So far, the most damaging thing I have heard about Corbyn is that he has been known to share a platform with people who are said to have questionable morals. I've no firm idea how bad these people really are (and let us not forget that Nelson Mandela was in the eyes of the South African apartheid state "a convicted terrorist"). In any case, the charge to me points at worst to bad judgement. You don't become a racist by "sharing a platform" with racists.
I am not aware that Jeremy Corbyn ever threatened to sue Rachel Riley. There were plenty of people who thought he should have done. See for instance https://voxpoliticalonline.com/2019/04/ ... g-mistake/. There is a great deal of controversy surrounding Ms. Riley and her motivations, she has for instance been widely accused of "weaponising anti-semitism for political purposes", and the truth is unlikely to be as black and white as you have painted it.
Retweeting an interview with someone (Maxine Peake) that she (Long-Bailey) admires hardly amounts to "spouting conspiracy theories of the far right" when the interview covered many topics, not just this one. And in any case, you have effectively argued against yourself here. Peake's words (which she later admitted were mistaken and ill-advised) were "... learnt from seminars with Israeli secret services.” You say "That's antisemitism. It is not a point about Israeli politics". Well, I'm sorry but Israel is Israel is Israel.
I could go on but that will do for now.

redblueuptoyou

Post by redblueuptoyou » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:10 pm

Re: Leicester. To be fair, this is what they said they would do with the easing all along. I just don’t think anyone expected they’d have to do it so soon.

From the BBC:

”Dr Manish Pareek, a consultant at Leicester Royal Infirmary, said recent cases of Covid-19 he had seen were from "inner-city areas which have high levels of ethnic diversity, pockets of deprivation but also quite crowded housing with inter-generational and multi-occupancy households".

These factors "are almost like a perfect storm for a virus to be spread within," he added.”

Shot By Both Sides

Post by Shot By Both Sides » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:25 pm

There was a list of 36 cities / counties most likely to be cases for lockdown which I would have copied and pasted but it was the Torygraph and wouldn't let me read further without signing up with them for life.

Aldershot_Rob

Post by Aldershot_Rob » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:00 am

Torygrapgh is an odd name for that paper now days given how left they lean. A sign of the times perhaps, times are a changing after all. I read some of an article (I am not subscribing) and couldn't believe their bias.

Anyway, I feel Leicester have probably made the righy decision as it is a very built up area and densely populated, especially with BAME, who are a vulnerable to the virus.
I wonder which town or city will be next , Bournemouth perhaps?

Cph.shots

Post by Cph.shots » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:32 am

Old Bob wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:08 pm
hepcat wrote:
Old Bob wrote:

That's very simplistic. The situation with regard to the Labour Party and anti-semitism is complicated, but here's my take:
There is a fundamental difference between anti-Zionism and anti-semitism. The former is a legitimate political persuasion; the latter is unacceptable racism.
Pro-Zionists have always sought to confuse the two, portraying anti-Zionism as anti-semitism, as a way of damping down criticism of the state of Israel.
There is a tradition of anti-Zionism on the Labour left, much of it coming from Jewish people themselves.
Like any large "broad church" organisation, the Labour Party has probably always had a few anti-semites among its ranks.
Jeremy Corbyn was/is an anti-Zionist but (in my judgement) was/is as far from being an anti-semite as it's possible to be.
Corbyn's leadership of the Labour Party, and his open anti-Zionism, gave anti-semites in the Labour Party the courage to come out of the woodwork and start expressing their odious views more openly.
The Labour Party leadership was not quick enough to stamp this out as strongly as they should have done, probably because they were themselves confused about the issue, seeing claims of institutional anti-semitism as attacks on their traditional, legitimate anti-Zionism.

That was the position when Kier Starmer took over from Corbyn. The Labour Party was not institutionally anti-semitic, and was improperly under attack from Zionists who sought to confuse anti-Zionism with anti-semitism. However, they could have done more to root out a very small amount of anti-semitism among a very small number of racists in the party.

To my mind, Starmer now sees political capital in being "pro-Zionist" (as it were), in effect treating claims of institutional Labour anti-semitism as legitimate when they are not. So he has taken the opportunity to sack Rebecca Long-Bailey as a win-win. He wins by establishing his credentials as someone who is going to take seriously and root out (virtually non-existent) anti-semitism; he wins by making an excuse to get shot of a political rival. It's an act of desperate opportunism.

If you look at Long-Bailey's record, it is plain to see that she is no anti-semite. But then you'd have to do a bit of background research, which might not be to your taste.

Just to point out finally that I am no supporter of Labour or any of the large political parties. Big party politics is in my mind a disaster for us all.
The problem is that Corbyn IS an anti-Semite ; anyone who has been involved with Labour over the last 40 odd years will confirm. No anti racist would ever share platforms with known racists and terrorists once. Corbyn did regularly. A genuine anti racist would say "I support the Palestinian people, but I will never share a platform or attend any functions with people who advocate race hate and murder as solutions" Corbyn never said this. Tellingly he ran a mile from his threat to sue Rachael Riley for correctly calling him a racist as he knew RR's lawyer (who sued Kate Hopkins for Jack Monroe) had a mountain of evidence he'd have to face. Also, he never did a thing about the vile race hate in Labour that grew under him (not surprising as he shares the views) Images downloaded from the far right Aryan Nation website and he does nothing , conspiracy theories and he does nothing. Long Bailey shared and refused to take down an anti-Semitic conspiracy theory. That's antisemitism. It is not a point about Israeli politics. I think it is Labour who are confused about what is racism and legitimate protest against Israeli politics ; why else spout the conspiracy theories of the far right ? (again this highlights the total similarities between the far right and far left) You get daft comments like "He met with elected MP's like Adams and McGuiness ; right; so a Tory meeting with elected BNP councillors is ok then ? I loathe all politicians; all self serving charlatans and hypocrites. The total lack of questioning Corbyn and the race hate he allowed to flourish has completely undermined labour. They may have to reform in order to ditch and expunge the huge stain left by Corbyn.
Wow! You certainly seem to have a low threshold for accepting that Corbyn IS (as you put it) an anti-semite. In fact, you seem to take it as a given, which somewhat begs the question, doesn't it? You don't really have to bother to argue the case if you assert it as a fact from the outset.
As for me, I prefer to go on the basis of evidence and the actions of the person concerned. So far, the most damaging thing I have heard about Corbyn is that he has been known to share a platform with people who are said to have questionable morals. I've no firm idea how bad these people really are (and let us not forget that Nelson Mandela was in the eyes of the South African apartheid state "a convicted terrorist"). In any case, the charge to me points at worst to bad judgement. You don't become a racist by "sharing a platform" with racists.
I am not aware that Jeremy Corbyn ever threatened to sue Rachel Riley. There were plenty of people who thought he should have done. See for instance https://voxpoliticalonline.com/2019/04/ ... g-mistake/. There is a great deal of controversy surrounding Ms. Riley and her motivations, she has for instance been widely accused of "weaponising anti-semitism for political purposes", and the truth is unlikely to be as black and white as you have painted it.
Retweeting an interview with someone (Maxine Peake) that she (Long-Bailey) admires hardly amounts to "spouting conspiracy theories of the far right" when the interview covered many topics, not just this one. And in any case, you have effectively argued against yourself here. Peake's words (which she later admitted were mistaken and ill-advised) were "... learnt from seminars with Israeli secret services.” You say "That's antisemitism. It is not a point about Israeli politics". Well, I'm sorry but Israel is Israel is Israel.
I could go on but that will do for now.
Very well put OB. A voice of reason.

Shot By Both Sides

Post by Shot By Both Sides » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:37 am

Aldershot_Rob wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:00 am
A couple I was chatting with the man joked that it would be great if they got rid of Leicester altogether. Clearly he'd been there. Bournemouth? 150 deaths out of near 500k across all of Dorset. I doubt it but never say never. Cases are going up not down and I'd been questioning for weeks whether we really were past the peak of this virus.

Cph.shots

Post by Cph.shots » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:43 am

hepcat wrote:
Old Bob wrote:
Crowthorne wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:01 pm
JC has gone and Starmer has got rid of the anti semite Wrong-Bailey he can at least try to get Labour back to its roots.

Just to add a little to Old Bob's post: Don't you think that after at least 6 years of digging, there would be something a bit more concrete on JC than just the tired old "sharing a platform" statement? Remember, Cameron and the queen met with Jerry Adams and Martin McGuinness who I believe also have/had convictions (or were at least suspected of) for terrosism. I'm sure they also met with Nelson Mandela, another convicted terrosist.
JC was arrested for protesting against apartheid, surely you should have mentioned that in your list of his sins.

Cph.shots

Post by Cph.shots » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:46 am

Shot By Both Sides wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:37 am
Aldershot_Rob wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:00 am
A couple I was chatting with the man joked that it would be great if they got rid of Leicester altogether. Clearly he'd been there. Bournemouth? 150 deaths out of near 500k across all of Dorset. I doubt it but never say never. Cases are going up not down and I'd been questioning for weeks whether we really were past the peak of this virus.
it'll be interesting to see how a local lockdown will be enforced considering the lack of resources available to the police.

Crowthorne

Post by Crowthorne » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:15 am

With the threat of a new virus from pigs surfacing in China, it would be a good time to lock down Swindon now so we are ahead of the curve.

Crowthorne

Post by Crowthorne » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:22 am

Cph.shots wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:43 am
hepcat wrote:
Old Bob wrote:

Just to add a little to Old Bob's post: Don't you think that after at least 6 years of digging, there would be something a bit more concrete on JC than just the tired old "sharing a platform" statement? Remember, Cameron and the queen met with Jerry Adams and Martin McGuinness who I believe also have/had convictions (or were at least suspected of) for terrosism. I'm sure they also met with Nelson Mandela, another convicted terrosist.
JC was arrested for protesting against apartheid, surely you should have mentioned that in your list of his sins.
I think you will find that at the time those you mentioned had taken their seats in elected chambers.
JC chose to invite Provos to Westminster whilst they were still actively involved in attacks on Britain.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Cph.shots

Post by Cph.shots » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:35 am

Crowthorne wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:22 am
Cph.shots wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:43 am
hepcat wrote:

I think you will find that at the time those you mentioned had taken their seats in elected chambers.
JC chose to invite Provos to Westminster whilst they were still actively involved in attacks on Britain.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Strange you find it so amusing. so it's only a question of timing that makes JC the bad guy? Who were the alleged "provos" that JC invited to Westminster? Surely if there was proof of terrorist or criminal acts they would have been arrested?

Aldershot_Rob

Post by Aldershot_Rob » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:20 am

Bournemouth? 150 deaths out of near 500k across all of Dorset. I doubt it but never say never. Cases are going up not down and I'd been questioning for weeks whether we really were past the peak of this virus.
I only mention Bournemouth due to the hundreds of thousands of people that flocked there last Friday. It may or may not see a spike in cases. Let's hope it is the latter.

Shot By Both Sides

Post by Shot By Both Sides » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:22 am

Aldershot_Rob wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:20 am
Bournemouth? 150 deaths out of near 500k across all of Dorset. I doubt it but never say never. Cases are going up not down and I'd been questioning for weeks whether we really were past the peak of this virus.
I only mention Bournemouth due to the hundreds of thousands of people that flocked there last Friday. It may or may not see a spike in cases. Let's hope it is the latter.
Indeed. And the warm weather is set to return next week.