Grand National Gone

Dr Jim Royle
Re: Grand National Gone

Post by Dr Jim Royle » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:20 pm

When a thoroughbred as Guy has described them falls and break their legs what happens to the horse ...
Shot in the head and turned into a tin of pedigree chum, yes I know it’s only sport.
And when we die in our own way we nourish the earth that we came from.

Is Boxing any more humane?

Ask a Greyhound if he doesn't enjoy belting around at speed.

And try getting beat at Snooker when you've got a tenner on the game, a whack across the head with a decent cue can do serious damage !!!

Turnkey

Post by Turnkey » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:38 pm

Difference is, we have a choice whether to take part, the horses don’t.

Dom Sterlings Left Leg

Post by Dom Sterlings Left Leg » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:42 pm

I wonder if dogs have a choice in being peoples pets?

Preston Shot

Post by Preston Shot » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:49 pm

Dr you are so off the mark
Don’t get me going with Greyhounds....
Thousands dumped in pits and quarry’s when they have finished enjoying running around a track...
Your making yourself look stupid with your comments

Lazio

Post by Lazio » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:50 pm

Boxing Dr is not a sport, it is barbaric. The sole intention being to beat your opponent senseless.

Preston Shot

Post by Preston Shot » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:52 pm

Preston Shot wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:49 pm
Dr you are so off the mark
Don’t get me going with Greyhounds....
Thousands dumped in pits and quarry’s when they have finished enjoying running around a track...
Your making yourself look stupid with your comments
Forgot to add after they’ve been starved before a race

A Shot from Wales

Post by A Shot from Wales » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:52 pm

Preston Shot wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:38 pm
GuyB wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:10 pm
Preston Shot wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:13 am

Not if your a horse

Well you obviously know nothing about horses, or the difference between your and you're.

I breed Thoroughbreds; they exist to race. The horse is a herd and flight animal - racing each other is what they do.
They exist to be exploited for profit.
No animal in the world chooses to run that fast that they end up having a heart attack.
There have been 2043 deaths in the last 4755 days on UK racecourses.
The World Health Organisation report published in 2014 highlighted that drowning claimed 372,000 lives each year. And about 400 people accidentally drown every year in the UK, with a further 200 people taking their own lives on our waters.

The Lyme Bay kayaking tragedy in 1993 claimed the lives of four teenagers from Southway Community College, Plymouth, leading to Parliament passing the Adventure Centres (Young Persons Safety) Act 1995.

Not forgetting the Fasnet Race in 1979 which left 15 crew members dead....all no more than a tiny selection of the way we humans choose to kill ourselves. Sadly for the many who choose to jump off rocks into the sea, or swim in cold mountain lakes, death is the inevitable accident.

Of course you have every right to air opinion but I would offer you W.C Fields famous quote: Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.

Look again into the eyes of our racehorse (recently retired) and you may start to understand.

Preston Shot

Post by Preston Shot » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:20 pm

What on earth has humans drowning got to do with the cruelty of animals in sport ?
They chose to swim or sail the animals don’t have that luxury.
It’s good to see your horse is being looked after but what about the others who aren’t as fortunate.
I presume you have only have the one horse ?
Or do you have a field full of them which is highly unlikely.
We all have opinions but some on here need to spend half an hour on google to see the real facts.

Mytshot

Post by Mytshot » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:44 pm

Blimey. People dying, no food in the shops, the financial future of millions in the balance. Funny what gets people worked up.

Dr Jim Royle

Post by Dr Jim Royle » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:33 pm

Preston, lighten up a bit fella. As you can see, not everybody shares your view, not everybody sees types of “sport” as barbaric, I put boxing out there and that produced a spike.

For every bad example folk will use, others will provide a good one.

Horse racing has millions of followers, of course not all’s cup of tea.

A Shot From Wales ....... could have done with a few tips from you ...... winning owner, a man in the know 😉

A Shot from Wales

Post by A Shot from Wales » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:07 am

Sorry Jim, but I simply acted in your best interest....horse race betting really is a mug’s game ...funny thing, when ‘Claude’ (stable name, as he was bought in from France), won his last race I think he went off at something like 8/1. Sometimes it’s difficult to get a good bet on, so I asked a business client to do the job....he went off with my cash, but took a couple of business calls on the way, forgetting to place the bet both over the phone and on-course...after twenty minutes or so he ran back over to me to watch the finish, ‘that’s great. Nice win’, he shouted while slapping me on the back. I said we would collect our significant winnings straight away and before the bookies ran off to their cars to start the mad rush back towards the M5.....’sorry’...it didn’t really cover my disappointment.

Dr Jim Royle

Post by Dr Jim Royle » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:58 am

Sorry Jim, but I simply acted in your best interest....horse race betting really is a mug’s game ...funny thing, when ‘Claude’ (stable name, as he was bought in from France), won his last race I think he went off at something like 8/1. Sometimes it’s difficult to get a good bet on, so I asked a business client to do the job....he went off with my cash, but took a couple of business calls on the way, forgetting to place the bet both over the phone and on-course...after twenty minutes or so he ran back over to me to watch the finish, ‘that’s great. Nice win’, he shouted while slapping me on the back. I said we would collect our significant winnings straight away and before the bookies ran off to their cars to start the mad rush back towards the M5.....’sorry’...it didn’t really cover my disappointment.
I have a very good friend who owns three horses and has actually started to breed from one. His wife looks after and owns his retired horse. He uses a small trainer JJ Bridger, who owns very big farm. You talk to him about horses and visit his stables you can see how much care and attention they get and the bond they have with staff ...... So I'd bet the majority of Horses in training are like pampered pets.

Betting being a mugs game ........... Yup, but love a flutter (only bet what I can afford to).

So without Preston reacting or shouting at me ...... have any of the Anti Brigade ever had a bet on horses or a sweepstake in National? Ever bet in any sport (apart from Marbles, think every sport has fatalities)? Just be interested.

Finally, I have free £10 bet on my Sky account, how they hell am I gonna use that now !!!!

A Shot from Wales

Post by A Shot from Wales » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:26 am

You are right Jim....certainly for those doing the dangerous stuff over fences. The life of a ‘flat horse’ is perhaps not so great. We don’t have a horse in training at the moment but Claude does go out with our local trainer’s horses ...his training gallops abut some of our land. Claude is still the boss of the lanes and for him it’s a great relief to lead out the young horses in training...so much better than having to be ridden out with all of our other horses...the ones that my wife allows me to ride. I started riding five years ago when I was 62....the young girl who taught me had her 18th birthday during the series of lessons in our all-weather riding school. She told me that she was having a party for family and friends. A couple of days later I gave her a birthday bottle of fizz and asked how the party went. ‘Oh great’ she replied. ‘But granny and grandad had to go home early because it was getting dark’. As we were finishing the lesson I asked her if I was the oldest person that she had ever taught to ride. She lent back and thought for a moment.....’well actually your the oldest person I’ve ever spoken to’.

shotshammo

Post by shotshammo » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:42 am

I have a friend who has part ownership in 16 horses, one of them won £200,000 in a classic race, his share was £41 after all expenses were taken out and the rest was divided up.
You don't do it to make a fortune then I asked, no he replied I do for fun and the social side. :lol:

GuyB

Post by GuyB » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:52 pm

Racehorses are the most pampered creatures on this earth.
Simple fact - stop racing them and they won 't be bred and the beautiful Thoroughbred will become extinct.
As for the weight they carry, just a fraction of what they can carry with ease.
If a horse does not want to race, or does not want someone on his back, he will get his wish.
Our horses - and yes, we have number, live in luxury.
Preston - take the trouble to visit a trainer or a stud farm and see the reality.