Putin

MANNIMIST
Re: Putin

Post by MANNIMIST » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:02 pm

Agree with your comments, Lanternhall.
Selfish society, especially many of the new generation.

Shotaway

Post by Shotaway » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:34 pm

Every so often we have the "What does it mean to be British?" debate - one of my answers would be that we take our hard fought democracy (that is by our forefathers as thankfully we do not have to do much fighting these days) for granted. As for Putin and Xi Jinping they wouldn't get past Andrew Neal (if they didn't remove him first).

Lazio

Post by Lazio » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:01 pm

I actually agree with you in a lot of respects LH. Although I think this me me me attitude is brought about by a sense of entitlement that has been ingrained in people. Many immigrants I have worked with are bemused that people in this country choose to and are supported to live a life on benefits, with housing and funding for breeding endless children. I have worked with numerous people who came to Britain as teachers but left due to behaviour in the classroom.

hepcat

Post by hepcat » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:24 pm

ACA wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:09 am
redblueuptoyou wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:08 am
I’ve liked how Boris is leaning on the experts for any scientific/health questions but his inability to answer a question directly and coherently is not helping and contributing to the mixed messages? I think that will change this week as lockdown is surely on its way.
Just a shame that he abdicated responsibility early on by not clamping down on mass gatherings, closing pubs and restaurants (etc). The policy of "it's for the individual competitions to decide" and "well, we'd really rather you didn't all gather together - but we won't tell you not to" was because they didn't want to be unpopular and it wasted several days - very much at odds with their stated aim of "doing everything necessary". I get that these are unprecedented times (and hindsight is a wonderful thing), but Johnson has looked seriously out of his depth at times.
Any real situation always highlights how completely inept and clueless ALL politicians are. Added to the problem is what the Australians 100% correctly call "The whinging Poms" No matter what Johnson or anyone does, out come the whinging Poms. If he had of clamped down immediately on gatherings; yep! He'd be "Over reacting" and "Authoritarian". As he didn't he's been "Criminally negligent" There's no end of totally pathetic political point scoring going on (increasing our total contempt for politicians) where the financial package announced (yep-you've guessed it!) "Isn't enough" When you reach a certain age, you really have seen and heard it all before regarding politics and wonder why people still fall for the same tired clichés (though having to admit you fell for them yourself when you were young and thought your generation invented everything including clapped out political dogmas!) and all this is just so par for the course. As ever it will be nature and luck that sorts this-but expect politicians to try and kid you it was down to them!