Next Season

Ian Rust
Next Season

Post by Ian Rust » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:33 pm

With next seasons start in serious doubt (August is only 18 weeks away), what do folk think would be the best plan of action for the PL, EFL, NL?

Seeing as we have absolutely no idea whatsoever when things will return to normal, I’m coming around to thinking that the best thing to do is plan for a compressed season. What I mean is just play 23 matches with lots drawn as to which teams you play at home and which you play away.

Compressed like that the kick off could be delayed until January 2021 if necessary, but IF things do return to normal before that you might then have a window of opportunity to finish the remaining games of this season so that we have promotion and relegation that otherwise won’t happen due to this season being declared VOID.

I think this would be a sensible plan of action given the circumstances we face.

chimpster99
Re: Next Season

Post by chimpster99 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:46 pm

Spot on Rusty.

Given the failure of many folk to follow the guidelines now, I reckon it will be August before restrictions are lifted. There’s also a significant chance of a second lockdown next winter/spring. I think they HAVE to try and finish the current season somehow to avoid legal challenges, that will probably be in August/September. Then a 23-game season starting in November with the expectation of disruption. As some teams could get unlucky on fixtures, maybe only have one up and two down?

Alex

Post by Alex » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:33 am

Right now, football and this season/next season is one of the last things I’m thinking about :!:

Very much not a priority :!:

BillB

Post by BillB » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:22 am

When you are self isolating and living alone it helps the world to keep spinning. They are very long days..........

ians

Post by ians » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:39 am

chimpster99 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:46 pm
Spot on Rusty.

Given the failure of many folk to follow the guidelines now, I reckon it will be August before restrictions are lifted. There’s also a significant chance of a second lockdown next winter/spring. I think they HAVE to try and finish the current season somehow to avoid legal challenges, that will probably be in August/September. Then a 23-game season starting in November with the expectation of disruption. As some teams could get unlucky on fixtures, maybe only have one up and two down?
If we managed to start a new season in November after completing the previous season they could try a scottish type system. You play 23 games and are then split into two halfs playing another 11? With no FA Trophy or FA Cup this would probably work

chimpster99

Post by chimpster99 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:58 am

[quote=ians post_id=621735 time=1584956371 user_id=178]
[quote=chimpster99 post_id=621717 time=1584913561 user_id=995]
Spot on Rusty.

[/quote]

If we managed to start a new season in November after completing the previous season they could try a scottish type system. You play 23 games and are then split into two halfs playing another 11? With no FA Trophy or FA Cup this would probably work
[/quote]

Think that would work out so long as we don't get a further lockdown - however I firmly believe we will see at least one more round of disruption before this is over.

Chalkie

Post by Chalkie » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:08 am