Taking The Knee

Post Reply
Shots1954
Posts: 189
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:31 pm
Re: Taking The Knee

Post by Shots1954 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:45 pm

fredandballou wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:15 pm
With the news that Sue Barker, Matt Dawson and Phil Tufnell have been given the chop from Question of Sport let's hope for a bit of peace and quiet that at least two of their replacements are coloured or of mixed race.
That is such a shame, I do so enjoy the banter and interaction from all 3. It will be hard to replace them!

Crowthorne
Posts: 484
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:18 pm
Re: Taking The Knee

Post by Crowthorne » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:06 pm

The whole programme is about as realistic as WWE.

Birdman
Posts: 1003
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:47 am
Location: Aldershot
Re: Taking The Knee

Post by Birdman » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:15 pm

lanternhall wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:26 pm
Birdman wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:09 pm
Preston Shot wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:56 pm


Was it not the Nazis who forced the Jews into slaves to make Uniforms and armoured vehicles.
These are facts and it doesn’t matter that it happened 80 years ago.
If Hamilton has any principles he’d look into the history of his sponsors background.
The issue that I have with Lewis Hamilton is his support about the planet (Greta Thunberg etc) and his occupation. Maybe motor racing only contributes a minuscule amount to global warming/climate change but it still contributes. Add on flying around the world to various race tracks with his entourage is imo, rather hypocritical.
I’d respect him much more (not that he’s waiting to hear from me) if he said that this racing season would be his last and he’d no longer participate in any unnecessary activities that contributed to global warming. I’ve a feeling though that the lure of the £$€’s (and lifestyle) might be too strong.
It is his job. He has been very vocal in saying that F1 needs to move to electric cars or it will die.
Yes, it is his job. If he genuinely feels that strongly about global warming though his voice would be even louder if he pulled out of motor racing at the end of this season and started campaigning against it.

Middleman
Posts: 255
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:38 pm
Re: Taking The Knee

Post by Middleman » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:21 pm

Lanterhall......spot on again young man.

Lazio i agree with you, poor old Sue may have seen her best years, the rugby bloke is a wet blanket, and Tuffers used to be fun now hes a wet blanket. Programme needs to get more modern.
Maybe it needs a topless darts section :P
Last edited by Middleman on Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steveshot
Posts: 242
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:41 pm
Re: Taking The Knee

Post by steveshot » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:24 pm

Erm, young man, your wires have got crossed 🤪

Middleman
Posts: 255
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:38 pm
Re: Taking The Knee

Post by Middleman » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:26 pm

Dont think so Steve. Lewis Hamilton is a Great English assett, best sportsmen we have 😇

steveshot
Posts: 242
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:41 pm
Re: Taking The Knee

Post by steveshot » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:29 pm

He is. Can’t argue about that.

Old Bob
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:23 pm
Re: Taking The Knee

Post by Old Bob » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:31 pm

Birdman wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:09 pm
Preston Shot wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:56 pm
Old Bob wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:03 pm


What a pathetic post!

What connection is there between supporting an anti-racist cause and having the talent to make yourself rich as a multiple world champion? Precisely none.
Was it not the Nazis who forced the Jews into slaves to make Uniforms and armoured vehicles.
These are facts and it doesn’t matter that it happened 80 years ago.
If Hamilton has any principles he’d look into the history of his sponsors background.
The issue that I have with Lewis Hamilton is his support about the planet (Greta Thunberg etc) and his occupation. Maybe motor racing only contributes a minuscule amount to global warming/climate change but it still contributes. Add on flying around the world to various race tracks with his entourage is imo, rather hypocritical.
I’d respect him much more (not that he’s waiting to hear from me) if he said that this racing season would be his last and he’d no longer participate in any unnecessary activities that contributed to global warming. I’ve a feeling though that the lure of the £$€’s (and lifestyle) might be too strong.
Nice post, Tweety Pie.

I say that only partly because I agree with you, I have the same issues, but more so because what you say is sensible and reasonable.

Middleman
Posts: 255
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:38 pm
Re: Taking The Knee

Post by Middleman » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:32 pm

Lanternhall has already answered that Bob and the one and only Birdman.

bordon shot
Posts: 180
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:13 pm
Re: Taking The Knee

Post by bordon shot » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:54 pm

lanternhall wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:17 pm
Birdman wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:49 pm
lanternhall wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:03 pm


Because we should be ashamed of our racist and colonial history. Reason that a lot of other countries became dictorships after British rule, is because, we did not educate the population.
Yes India can. The British divided the county to create Pakistan with no thought of consequences. Muslims and Hindus who had lived in peace. Killing each other.
I think that the division of India was caused by the Muslim population wanting their own Islamic state. You have to ask the various religious groups why they felt the necessity to butcher and kill others of a different religion.
I’m not saying this is the definitive answer but it might help explain things a bit :- https://www.history.ox.ac.uk/files/teac ... ed-1947pdf

The British divided India and decided what would be Pakistan without any regard for religious beliefs or culture.
Birdman is correct, it wasn’t a British decision to form Pakistan, it evolved out of the Independence of India. As India was mainly a Hindu Country, the minority Muslim population didn’t trust the Hindu’s. Britain went along with it, to try & stop any civil war. The fact that they have been at each other’s throats a few times since independence, says its own story.

Middleman
Posts: 255
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:38 pm
Re: Taking The Knee

Post by Middleman » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:02 pm

Bordon lets just say we politically pushed it that way. Had what we wanted then buggered off.
Who knows maybe the British were involved with Gandhis death. That man would have united India.
(Forgive spelling please)

bordon shot
Posts: 180
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:13 pm
Re: Taking The Knee

Post by bordon shot » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:29 pm

Middleman wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:02 pm
Bordon lets just say we politically pushed it that way. Had what we wanted then buggered off.
Who knows maybe the British were involved with Gandhis death. That man would have united India.
(Forgive spelling please)

I sort of get your point, although India was pushing for independence for years before it was achieved. Had it not been for Second World War, It’s possible they would have got it sooner. So yes - when you say we got what we wanted at a time when we needed them, I see where you are coming from.

Gandhi fought for a united India even after independence, had it not been for a nutter nationalist who wanted to fight the British in a more violent way, he probably would have achieved his goal.

Middleman
Posts: 255
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:38 pm
Re: Taking The Knee

Post by Middleman » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:37 pm

Fair play Bordon. Trust me no one is more prouder of being English than me. We were shall we say a " tad" naughty though.
But who wasnt ?

Crowthorne
Posts: 484
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:18 pm
Re: Taking The Knee

Post by Crowthorne » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:04 pm

Gandhi probably wouldn't have "taken the knee" as he had a pretty low regard for Afrricans.

redblueuptoyou
Posts: 478
Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 1:52 pm
Re: Taking The Knee

Post by redblueuptoyou » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:05 am

I just saw this (from a WWE fighter, of all people) and would be interested in the views of those who said sport and politics should be kept separate - especially given our proud military history and association:

‘If we wish to “keep politics out of sports”, that also means no longer playing the national anthem and suspending any and all military ceremonies from all sporting events.‘


Post Reply