Part-time below the Championship..??

Grayshott
Part-time below the Championship..??

Post by Grayshott » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:48 pm

Weeks and months pass and there is still no sign of life returning to anything resembling normal. Many professional sports are already cutting back or even cancelling their winter and spring programs. I don't see any way that football can survive in a full-time professional format below Championship level. There is no income from the gate, no social events and no TV money worth mentioning below that level, so how can anyone be paying staff.

The first ones to jump to part-time will be ahead of the game and may end up being one of the few survivors.

Premier League is meeting today with the government to get bums back on seats, but that seems a distant prospect as the number of towns being locked-down continues to rise. Below that pro-football in the lower leagues is something you will tell your grandchildren about.

redblueuptoyou
Re: Part-time below the Championship..??

Post by redblueuptoyou » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:06 pm

A lot of us said this when the pandemic hit. It was the perfect time for reform and regionalisation but no one in a position of power (at our level?) seemed to have the foresight or desire to do it. I think you’re right that we might see a few clubs fall down the wayside in the next few months...

Redshot66

Post by Redshot66 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:39 pm

The EFL have been given the green light to trial games with up to a 1000 spectators this weekend

EastbankAndy

Post by EastbankAndy » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:17 pm

And Brian Barwick has requested the same from the NL perspective, which is not good. Can’t expect Notts County to wear that as opposed to Boreham Wood where it will have no effect..... Should stay as a percentage of grounds on an individual basis..... But hey it’s a start and better then nothing. Away fans included or not though

Birdman

Post by Birdman » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:49 pm

EastbankAndy wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:17 pm
And Brian Barwick has requested the same from the NL perspective, which is not good. Can’t expect Notts County to wear that as opposed to Boreham Wood where it will have no effect..... Should stay as a percentage of grounds on an individual basis..... But hey it’s a start and better then nothing. Away fans included or not though
https://www.theshots.co.uk/national-lea ... l-matches/

redandbluescb

Post by redandbluescb » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:59 pm

Sensible to start with about 1000 fans plus streaming should keep the pennies rolling in.

Shots70

Post by Shots70 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:29 pm

Great for Accrington Stanley, won’t make much difference to Sunderland though barring about 2.5% of fans

Dr Jim Royle

Post by Dr Jim Royle » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:57 pm

It'll be a move in the right direction ......................... BUT it is only a question asked of the Government, nothing been secured in place. And I still say with the infection rate rising as it is I can easily see no crowds back in attendance for some time to come.

Even the big hitters in the lower leagues are now getting so twitchy that they will not be able to see the season out without the income from gate money.

You can only hope Boris allows crowds back despite the fact if any outbreak connected to those in attendance on the day will see self quarantine for 14 days of unpaid leave .......... How many folk can afford that I wonder?

Crowthorne

Post by Crowthorne » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:45 pm

Dr Jim is spot on, who is going to attend a football match and risk two weeks unpaid isolation. It surely must only be a couple of weeks before clubs start going to the wall.

Shots70

Post by Shots70 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:54 pm

Crowthorne wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:45 pm
Dr Jim is spot on, who is going to attend a football match and risk two weeks unpaid isolation. It surely must only be a couple of weeks before clubs start going to the wall.
I’m probably in a minority but I would be prepared to take a risk because I’ve been used to being inside a work place with 70 odd people throughout this pandemic so being outside with about a 1000 wouldn’t deter me but I understand that people wouldn’t be so happy to attend but will have to happen at some point or else clubs will disappear sadly

Crowthorne

Post by Crowthorne » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:42 pm

Don't think there would 1000 even without a restriction DP, with the age of the fan base and the risk of quarantine doubt there would be 500.

Shots70

Post by Shots70 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:47 pm

Might not ever find out

Crowthorne

Post by Crowthorne » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:49 pm

You may well be right,

Dr Jim Royle

Post by Dr Jim Royle » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:12 am

There is no way of guessing which way the Government will go on their decision. Most large gatherings have now been banned. Even with safe distancing and every precaution taken at a football ground, I'm sure they will insist on a track and trace system in place. And once one person tests positive that has attended game within a time frame then all others will be contacted to quarantine. It is without doubt a minefield .......... but only based on current decision making

redblueuptoyou

Post by redblueuptoyou » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:40 am

So much depends on the rise in cases over the next two or three weeks - and it’s not looking good right now.

I found it odd they gave the go-ahead for a thousand fans to go into stadiums when large gatherings are banned and the ‘rule of six’ has come in. I guess distancing can be maintained easily once in the grounds but what about travel etc?

I saw something yesterday saying Aldershot is becoming a hotspot - I will say it was on Facebook and probably hyperbole but still...