The trouble at the Trust

ShotOnTarget
Re: The trouble at the Trust

Post by ShotOnTarget » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:09 pm

Dr Jim Royle wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:42 pm
The aim of a Trust is to look at how to help sustain football in it's host town.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, I see now. So The Trust based in Aldershot is set up to assist football within its town. So it matters not if it is ATFC or Aldershot Academicals FC or FC Aldershot Of Greater Rushmoor, this Trust or Supporters Club raises monies on their behalf depending on if it is a good call for help. I thank you for clarity.

I also will not be joining any such Trust or Supporters Club, now or in the distant future ...........

ONE CLUB, that's all we are, ONE CLUB. Heaven help us.

GOD this is like the Labour Party claiming they won the election by a landslide despite the electorate saying otherwise.
I make it three Clubs (and counting?). AFC (1926) Ltd, ATFC (1992) Ltd. For the love of the game Ltd T/A ATFC. But, hey, all Aldershot and playing in Red and Blue with the same set of fans with similar passion and dedication.

Keep the red flag flying high, in recognition of your political reference.

Dr Jim Royle

Post by Dr Jim Royle » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:30 pm

I make it three Clubs (and counting?). AFC (1926) Ltd, ATFC (1992) Ltd. For the love of the game Ltd T/A ATFC. But, hey, all Aldershot and playing in Red and Blue with the same set of fans with similar passion and dedication.

Keep the red flag flying high, in recognition of your political reference.
Bit like many of the Facebook Quizzes doing the rounds, WHAT IS THE ANSWER :-

I have One Club

It has 4627 fans

21% belong to affiliated factions.

19 fans sit on the Head Tables of factions

8 fans want to be in total control

6 Directors actually hold the required shares to control

There is one pot to pi*s in that counts.

HOW MANY TEAMS ACTUALLY PLAY THE FOR ABOVE WHO CLAIM TO SUPPORT?

Share this post with friends, family and The World's Gone Mad Society, when you have the correct answer.

farnboroshot

Post by farnboroshot » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:30 pm

ShotOnTarget wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:56 pm
The aim of a Trust is to look at how to help sustain football in it's host town.
I think this is where some of the issues potentially get driven from. I'm not sure if the majority of supporters are clear on what the purpose of the Trust is, and that is not a 'dig' at the Trust but a genuine observation. The trust website states their role as "We aim to give you (the fans) a voice, as a democratic supporters trust, committed to strengthening this voice in the decision-making at the football club and also strengthening the links between the Club and the community it serves."

I have to admit I'm not 100% clear myself on their role, as I've seen fundraising activities for specific projects mentioned as an aim previously, during the presentation to the council the Trust described their role as a 'critical friend' to the club, and the objective above of 'The aim of a Trust is to look at how to help sustain football in it's host town' would suggest more of a community element.

My personal view having read many messages over the last few years on here, is that people aren't clear what the trust is and isn't, then criticise them for doing some things and not others (potentially rightly or wrongly but based on a lack of understanding of their role). I think it would benefit everyone if there was clarity between the club, Trust, supporters club, foundation..... (btw this seems like quite a long list already for a club of our size and that's assuming I haven't missed any one off) of what role each plays and removing some of the crossovers that exist, which then ultimately cause conflicts.

Crowthorne

Post by Crowthorne » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:37 pm

Dr Jim Royle wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:42 pm
I also will not be joining any such Trust or Supporters Club, now or in the distant future ...........

I am with you on that Dr J, to quote Groucho Marx " I would not join any club that would have me as a member".

Dom Sterlings Left Leg

Post by Dom Sterlings Left Leg » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:43 pm

I think the point is should the trust just unconditionally hand over money to the club with no influence as to how that money is spent or indeed no guarantee there will be any tangible benefits to the supporters it represents?

ie Should it just hand over money to help subsidise the running of the club even if poor decisions by the BOD are losing the club money?

stevieshot

Post by stevieshot » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:03 pm

I joined the trust when the Club went pop last time.
I joined with the hope that the Club could somehow start again, if it wasn't rescued.
I hoped the trust would eventually have a more prominent say in the club's running.
I didnt join the trust to become a fundraiser for the Club.
I joined the trust as a lifetime member, but if I had joined as an annual member, I wouldn't have rejoined.

ShotOnTarget

Post by ShotOnTarget » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:17 am

stevieshot wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:03 pm
I joined the trust when the Club went pop last time.
I joined with the hope that the Club could somehow start again, if it wasn't rescued.
I hoped the trust would eventually have a more prominent say in the club's running.
I didnt join the trust to become a fundraiser for the Club.
I joined the trust as a lifetime member, but if I had joined as an annual member, I wouldn't have rejoined.
I was with you all the way until your last point, although I fully understand your position. It is share by a few.

To flourish, a Trust must be able to conduct it's business unfettered and be welcomed and understood by those who are in a position to make or break it. All the clues are in this and the other related thread. The dots are there to be joined. Sorry that this is a bit cryptic, but if people draw their own conclusions privately, is saves a lot of rancour and largely uninformed mud-slinging in public.

ShotOnTarget

Post by ShotOnTarget » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:33 am

Dom Sterlings Left Leg wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:43 pm
I think the point is should the trust just unconditionally hand over money to the club with no influence as to how that money is spent or indeed no guarantee there will be any tangible benefits to the supporters it represents?
No Trust should hand over money without a clear understanding and agreement as to how it will be used and must be free to decline if they are unsatisfied. Some people vehemently disagree with that position and think that a Trust should hand over money without any scrutiny. I strongly disagree with that and it is my belief that most people would not conduct their personal finances in this way and would be quite reluctant to enter into any such arrangement.