https://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2020-54532189

GetShotDownunder
Re: US voters… Queueing up for hours just to vote

Post by GetShotDownunder » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:31 pm

I'd rather cop the fine lol

scorp

Post by scorp » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:45 am

American "exceptionalism" at its finest. Oh wait. Trump might be that. ;)

And then there's the crumbling infrastructure that Trump promised to spend bigly on in the 2016 campaign, but spent zilch. Covfefe!

As for the wall... Nine miles of it so far.

Thanks for the link, '65. I like it when some [probably most] Americans say the US is the biggest democracy in the world...

hepcat

Post by hepcat » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:04 pm

scorp wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:45 am

And then there's the crumbling infrastructure that Trump promised to spend bigly on in the 2016 campaign, but spent zilch. Covfefe!

Thanks for the link, '65. I like it when some [probably most] Americans say the US is the biggest democracy in the world...
I've long given up the "You can't get worse than.." sentiment .In my parents day it was "You can't get worse than Nixon (or more ridiculous than Kissenger winning the Nobel Peace Prize) Then In the 80's we said "You can't get worse than Reagan" then along came George W , after which time I was scared to say "You can't get worse than Trump" as there probably IS someone worse out there, yet to come. Reagan seems like an amiable old boy by comparison.
(PS I thought India was officially the World's biggest democracy)

scorp

Post by scorp » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:48 pm

hepcat wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:04 pm
scorp wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:45 am

I've long given up the "You can't get worse than.." sentiment .In my parents day it was "You can't get worse than Nixon (or more ridiculous than Kissenger winning the Nobel Peace Prize) Then In the 80's we said "You can't get worse than Reagan" then along came George W , after which time I was scared to say "You can't get worse than Trump" as there probably IS someone worse out there, yet to come. Reagan seems like an amiable old boy by comparison.
(PS I thought India was officially the World's biggest democracy)
India is. I was being a bit sarcastic with my "Americans say US is the biggest democracy in the world" comment.

I wonder what sort of winning candidate in the future will be worse than Trump.

Anon E Mouse

Post by Anon E Mouse » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:13 pm

Its incredible that with all the intelligent and reasonable people in the world we end up with Trumps, Putin's and Johnson's in charge of countries
:( :( :(

FGShot

Post by FGShot » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:27 pm

Anon E Mouse wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:13 pm
Its incredible that with all the intelligent and reasonable people in the world we end up with Trumps, Putin's and Johnson's in charge of countries
Simple explanation.......lies and corruption.

Cph.shots

Post by Cph.shots » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:54 am

FGShot wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:27 pm
Anon E Mouse wrote:
I disagree about your explanation, that doesn't explain why people, especially the working class accept it.
Hope we haven't started another mega political thread again....

hepcat

Post by hepcat » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:25 pm

Cph.shots wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:54 am
FGShot wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:27 pm
Anon E Mouse wrote:
I disagree about your explanation, that doesn't explain why people, especially the working class accept it.
Hope we haven't started another mega political thread again....
I think with Putin nobodies really got a choice , but for the rest I think Grayson Perry's excellent American Road trip gave a lot of insights. The left has become more and more of an elitist clique that have no idea or connection with working class aspirations and sensibilities . As Perry found, it was this elitist clique that was voting for Clinton-not the working class- and similar has happened here. And-as in the US, the left openly call the working class thick stupid and racist, which in anyone's book isn't a sound argument or persuader. Bear also in mind that it is regularly the privileged elite who are arrested for spraying Churchill's statue ; the anti capitalist who smashed McDonalds some years back was (irony of ironies) an Etonian schoolboy, the anti gentrification protesters lived in expensive ex council flats and had working class warrior jobs such as fashion magazine editor and hedge fund manager-not convincing. The working class feel alienated to the current Labour movement, both the virtue signalling and schoolboy Marxism. (Personally I think the Woke and cancel culture which is killing Labour is yet another one of Blair's toxic legacies) All this has basically done is swap the parties over, The working class will always detest public school/middle class snobs and it is Labour who is seemingly the party of these elitist snobs. Politics is completely changed now, As Grayson Perry concluded , Trump is a creation of these elites , The only hope is that his extreme uselessness continues and the opposition wises up. I don't think Bidden will do much to alter things even if he wins.
For me, the last PM I had any respect for was Callaghan and the last President, Carter. I recon the guilt complex Tories had over Thatcher created Blair and the current Woke elite. Ironically all they're doing is winning the Tories votes.

redblueuptoyou

Post by redblueuptoyou » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:56 pm

Hepcat - that whole Grayson Perry series was great, wasn’t it?

Did you see a different interview where he said even though he’s ‘a proud liberal leftie’, he actually prefers talking to people on the right as he gets more conversation and insight rather than the in-fighting that blights the left so much.

If Trump loses, I hate to think what he’ll do in those final two months.

Sportsnut

Post by Sportsnut » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:54 am

I saw some of the episode where Grayson Perry went to Martha's Vineyard. His presumptions about the people there were summed up nicely by the women in the conversation "BS". Trump was the creation of those who were pissed off with the establishment. They had endured 8 years of the Republicans blocking everything that Obama tried to do. I also think there were a lot of conservative thinking people who couldn't cope with the idea of a woman as president. I grew up in the town where Perry boarded the ferry. As a kid I even regularly fished off that pier. (Sadly due to health & safety it's no longer allowed). I know from living there that those people in no way represent the real Cape Cod and islands I know. True the place was mainly run by old, wealthy families who had lived there for generations. There were also plenty of working people too. Sadly because of the rich people who buy summer homes there house prices have soared and are now unaffordable for many ordinary folk. That said I can guarantee that Biden will win Massachusetts.
The fact that these people were prepared to queue for so long shows how much they want to get rid of Trump.

Cph.shots

Post by Cph.shots » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:53 pm

Some good posts. I'll try to find the Grayson Perry programs online.

scorp

Post by scorp » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:39 pm

redblueuptoyou wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:56 pm
Hepcat - that whole Grayson Perry series was great, wasn’t it?

Did you see a different interview where he said even though he’s ‘a proud liberal leftie’, he actually prefers talking to people on the right as he gets more conversation and insight rather than the in-fighting that blights the left so much.

If Trump loses, I hate to think what he’ll do in those final two months.
Grayson probably meant talking to people on the soft to moderate right, up to the softer end of the hard right. The hard hard right are obsessive political OCD nutters, just like ... the hard left. He also probably meant there's little point in sitting in an echo chamber.