My Dad's Shots programmes

MikeB
My Dad's Shots programmes

Post by MikeB » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:39 am

My Dad passed away yesterday, aged 81 (not Covid-related).

He was a hoarder and we have a lot of work to do sorting through his accumulated possessions. After I moved away from the area, he kept watching the Shots with friends, and always purchased a match programme in which I think he would write the team numbers, etc (so they aren't pristine).

I would love to keep all of his programmes myself, but I don't have the space. But I'm reluctant to just send them all to recycling. Are they of interest to anyone, free of charge? I'm not sure how far back they go and it will be quite a while before I've sorted his stuff.

EV
Re: My Dad's Shots programmes

Post by EV » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:14 am

Hi Mike, I would welcome & be very appreciative to have the opportunity to accept your programmes.
Very sorry to hear about your loss.

EV

Post by EV » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:19 am

It would be wonderful to go through the matches your Dad went to & those we shared, very sad to lose another Shots fan & I hope you will be able to look back on many happy memories to alleviate the sadness.

Alex

Post by Alex » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:35 am

Hi MikeB

I don’t know you (well I don’t think I do!) but that doesn’t matter. I’m very sorry to read about your loss

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:23 am

Thanks. Our first match was at home to Charlton in 1973. We saw the Shots relegated to Div 4, then many years of near misses, before I went to university in 1985 and he stopped going and missed our promotion year. He's returned in recent years to see the new club.

I always dreamed of watching the Shots at Wembley with him. Just once would have been nice. Oh well.

In recent years, one of the main reasons for visiting the Rec has been a chance to see Dad again. I'm not sure I will want to go back now, even when we can....

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:59 am

At least I was able to tell my Dad on his death-bed that the Shots had won 5-0 the day before. I can't imagine that many people have had the same opportunity...

stevieshot

Post by stevieshot » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:52 am

MikeB, so very sorry for your loss.
Shots will miss you and your Dad,
Loyal supporters are the lifeblood of the Club.
Have you considered donating the programmes,
to Paul Blundell, to raise funds for the Club.
Your Dad might have liked that idea.
God Bless you, and RIP Dad

Morrissey's Scorcher

Post by Morrissey's Scorcher » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:22 am

Sorry to hear of your loss Mike, your news really hit home with me because I used to attend games with my dad until he passed away at 89 in 2018. I started attending games in the mid '70's but as an Aldershot boy he had been going since the 1940's. We rarely missed a home game, and when the new club formed we travelled all round the M25 seeing most of the away games too, those were happy times. I've not been back to the Rec since he died, just not the same now he has gone. Although he was in a coma I couldn't bring myself to tell him about the Shots last game a 7-1 defeat at Flyde.

GetShotDownunder

Post by GetShotDownunder » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:27 am

Condolences on your loss MikeB

EV

Post by EV » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:35 pm

I understand not wanting to return to the Rec for now. I was the same when my Mum passed. I came back the following season, bought season tickets for her & myself as usual & have continued to do, but found it too painful to carry on that season without her.
Give it time Mike. ♥