Birdman
O/t I suppose it was only a matter of time

Post by Birdman » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:30 pm

I think I’ll play the original version every day ‘in protest’ :wink: :-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-54999375

Me Mums a Shot
Re: O/t I suppose it was only a matter of time

Post by Me Mums a Shot » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:13 pm

Kirsty MacColl will be turning in her grave!

Another example of how society is producing far to many litttle snowflakes in my opinion 🙄

Stenhouse

Post by Stenhouse » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:28 pm

I am a very avid listener of Radio 2 - which used to play my kind of music. Now the generational and highly knowledgeable presenters, such as Don Black and Bill Kenwright have lost their shows. Also, there has been a general dumbing down of content, in that Radio 2 is a Radio 1 shadow. Thank god there are many shows on mixcloud to listen to, when radio was great and not politically depressed.

bordon shot

Post by bordon shot » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:46 pm

If it’s because of offensive lyrics, does this mean they will ban rap music 🤔

Reg's corner

Post by Reg's corner » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:24 pm

Ive not heard any rap crap on rad2 to be honest.. maybe dizzy raskel' but he's mainstream' pc and acceptable to family listeners.

redblueuptoyou

Post by redblueuptoyou » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:34 pm

Me Mums a Shot wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:13 pm
Kirsty MacColl will be turning in her grave!

Another example of how society is producing far to many litttle snowflakes in my opinion 🙄
This again? Must be the time of year...

She changed the lyrics for live TV performances back in 1992. And there are plenty of radio edits of rap music.

The Pogues had their say: https://twitter.com/poguesofficial/stat ... 94817?s=21
“the word itself being in Fairytale Of New York doesn’t bother or offend me, but straight people being so angry & outraged at its removal and literally fighting and arguing for the right to sing it bothers me deeply”

https://twitter.com/poguesofficial/stat ... 78368?s=21

And the best one (NSFW): https://twitter.com/poguesofficial/stat ... 46850?s=21

Old Bob

Post by Old Bob » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:07 pm

bordon shot wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:46 pm
If it’s because of offensive lyrics, does this mean they will ban rap music 🤔
I would readily ban rap music on the grounds that it isn't music at all :cool:

Crowthorne

Post by Crowthorne » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:21 pm

The BBC really are unbelievable, Radio 4 with their fisherperson nonsense and now this, surely if they are so concerned about this Pogues song maybe looking others would be appropriate.

shots1965

Post by shots1965 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:32 pm

Stenhouse wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:28 pm
I am a very avid listener of Radio 2 - which used to play my kind of music. Now the generational and highly knowledgeable presenters, such as Don Black and Bill Kenwright have lost their shows. Also, there has been a general dumbing down of content, in that Radio 2 is a Radio 1 shadow. Thank god there are many shows on mixcloud to listen to, when radio was great and not politically depressed.

Thank god there are many shows on mixcloud to listen to,

Not heard of mixcloud before

I checked it out, it’s pretty cool, I downloaded the app on iOS

😀

scorp

Post by scorp » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:17 pm

shots1965 wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:32 pm
Stenhouse wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:28 pm

Thank god there are many shows on mixcloud to listen to,

Not heard of mixcloud before

I checked it out, it’s pretty cool, I downloaded the app on iOS

😀
Plus there's Radio Caroline, based in England, and Radio Paradise, based in California.

BillB

Post by BillB » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:35 pm

Another pint please Bar Man, isn't the lady working this evening..... It's been a lovely day..

ShotOnTarget

Post by ShotOnTarget » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:59 pm

Best I get down to Iceland to buy a few packs of that delicious meal in rich gravy (made by Brains) whose name cannot be mentioned gets taken off the shelves.

ShotOnTarget

Post by ShotOnTarget » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:26 pm

I was told (by someone who works with the Public Sector, quelle surprise) that if someone on the subject of LBGT states 'I have a lot of friends in the LGBT community', it is met with raised eybrows, a knowing smirk and interpreted as a marker of a homophobe. Of course should one state 'I have no friends in the LGBT community' then the interpretation is the same.

It's high time this collection of sneering bullies who will use any aspect of demography and assumed prejudice to cow people were put in their place. Weaponising issues of gender, sexuality, age, race etc to exert control is nasty beyond belief.

Don't these sort of people know how despised they are by the silent majority?

hepcat

Post by hepcat » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:37 pm

Who do they actually think is offended ? They've always acted like puritanical Victorian prudes -have they still not twigged that they actually encourage people to do the opposite ? They self lampoon. They tried to kid us "My Ding a Ling" wasn't about a penis ; banning "Relax" saw it stay in the charts for a year ; we all rushed to play "So What" By the Anti Nowhere League despite the serious damage they said it would do to our morals.....The best example of how moronic these censors at the BBC are came in 1978. The Old Grey Whistle Test (not known for it's prude viewers) had the video for Devo's "Joko Homo" The BBC was fine with the video that had Devo writhing around in foam dressed in gigantic condoms, but the EDITED and CUT the lyric "God made man, but he used the Monkey to do it" !! "We'll let the condoms go, but blasphemy will totally shock a punk audience's morals") Then-as now- the BBC is totally clueless.

shots1965

Post by shots1965 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:06 pm

hepcat wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:37 pm
They tried to kid us "My Ding a Ling" wasn't about a penis ; banning "Relax" saw it stay in the charts for a year ;
hepcat wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:37 pm
Who do they actually think is offended ? They've always acted like puritanical Victorian prudes -have they still not twigged that they actually encourage people to do the opposite ? They self lampoon. They tried to kid us "My Ding a Ling" wasn't about a penis ; banning "Relax" saw it stay in the charts for a year ; we all rushed to play "So What" By the Anti Nowhere League despite the serious damage they said it would do to our morals.....The best example of how moronic these censors at the BBC are came in 1978. The Old Grey Whistle Test (not known for it's prude viewers) had the video for Devo's "Joko Homo" The BBC was fine with the video that had Devo writhing around in foam dressed in gigantic condoms, but the EDITED and CUT the lyric "God made man, but he used the Monkey to do it" !! "We'll let the condoms go, but blasphemy will totally shock a punk audience's morals") Then-as now- the BBC is totally clueless.

They tried to kid us "My Ding a Ling" wasn't about a penis

; Well, that’s news to me, I never ever interpreted it that way

MaybeI’m just stupid