O/t I suppose it was only a matter of time

hepcat
Re: O/t I suppose it was only a matter of time

Post by hepcat » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:45 pm

shots1965 wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:06 pm
hepcat wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:37 pm
They tried to kid us "My Ding a Ling" wasn't about a penis ; banning "Relax" saw it stay in the charts for a year ;
hepcat wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:37 pm
Who do they actually think is offended ? They've always acted like puritanical Victorian prudes -have they still not twigged that they actually encourage people to do the opposite ? They self lampoon. They tried to kid us "My Ding a Ling" wasn't about a penis ; banning "Relax" saw it stay in the charts for a year ; we all rushed to play "So What" By the Anti Nowhere League despite the serious damage they said it would do to our morals.....The best example of how moronic these censors at the BBC are came in 1978. The Old Grey Whistle Test (not known for it's prude viewers) had the video for Devo's "Joko Homo" The BBC was fine with the video that had Devo writhing around in foam dressed in gigantic condoms, but the EDITED and CUT the lyric "God made man, but he used the Monkey to do it" !! "We'll let the condoms go, but blasphemy will totally shock a punk audience's morals") Then-as now- the BBC is totally clueless.

They tried to kid us "My Ding a Ling" wasn't about a penis

; Well, that’s news to me, I never ever interpreted it that way

MaybeI’m just stupid
Yeah, it was the big debating point back in 1972 ; Mary Whitehouse wanted it banned due to the penis innuendo, and (in probably the biggest irony in history-albeit in hindsight) the BBC on Top of the Pops-introduced by Jimmy Savile , had Rolf Harris in to draw a couple of bells tied together when Chuck Berry asked for everyone to play with his ding a ling !! Most people had never even thought of the link/innuendo until this nonsense.

Stenhouse

Post by Stenhouse » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:44 pm

shots1965 wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:32 pm
Stenhouse wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:28 pm
I am a very avid listener of Radio 2 - which used to play my kind of music. Now the generational and highly knowledgeable presenters, such as Don Black and Bill Kenwright have lost their shows. Also, there has been a general dumbing down of content, in that Radio 2 is a Radio 1 shadow. Thank god there are many shows on mixcloud to listen to, when radio was great and not politically depressed.

Thank god there are many shows on mixcloud to listen to,

Not heard of mixcloud before

I checked it out, it’s pretty cool, I downloaded the app on iOS

😀
Glad you like it Shots1965! The future of listening to music.

shots1965

Post by shots1965 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:52 pm

Stenhouse wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:44 pm
shots1965 wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:32 pm
Stenhouse wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:28 pm
I am a very avid listener of Radio 2 - which used to play my kind of music. Now the generational and highly knowledgeable presenters, such as Don Black and Bill Kenwright have lost their shows. Also, there has been a general dumbing down of content, in that Radio 2 is a Radio 1 shadow. Thank god there are many shows on mixcloud to listen to, when radio was great and not politically depressed.

Thank god there are many shows on mixcloud to listen to,

Not heard of mixcloud before

I checked it out, it’s pretty cool, I downloaded the app on iOS

😀
Glad you like it Shots1965! The future of listening to music.
It’s great to hear pick of the Pops, way back, Tom Browne, Alan Freeman etc...

Check this out,MUSI ..YouTube without the commercials

iPhone only