Football in 1975

Post Reply
Anon E Mouse
Posts: 2809
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:29 pm
Football in 1975

Post by Anon E Mouse » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:11 pm

Just watching the most enjoyable Big Match Revisited again in a desperate attempt to remind me of why I loved the game so much for so many years which I'm seriously struggling with at the moment.

What a difference. The FA cup 4th round is featuring and watching West Ham from Div 1 v Swindon from Div 3.
A match with 2 full strength sides (none of this, it's only Swindon so we are going to play the reserves) and with a full house at Upton Park of 35,000, respecting the competition.
West Ham went on to win the cup that year beating the mighty Fulham :D

How I wish football was still like this. Less money, full of passion, muddy pitch and respect for the Cup and the opposition.
So far away from where the game is today.

shots1965
Posts: 621
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:16 pm
Location: Oklahoma USA
Re: Football in 1975

Post by shots1965 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:30 pm

Anon E Mouse wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:11 pm
Just watching the most enjoyable Big Match Revisited again in a desperate attempt to remind me of why I loved the game so much for so many years which I'm seriously struggling with at the moment.

What a difference. The FA cup 4th round is featuring and watching West Ham from Div 1 v Swindon from Div 3.
A match with 2 full strength sides (none of this, it's only Swindon so we are going to play the reserves) and with a full house at Upton Park of 35,000, respecting the competition.
West Ham went on to win the cup that year beating the mighty Fulham :D

How I wish football was still like this. Less money, full of passion, muddy pitch and respect for the Cup and the opposition.
So far away from where the game is today.
I’m going to watch it later, I love big match revisited
I’ve recorded it
Game was played in January, how many players do you see wearing gloves?

supershots
Posts: 135
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:08 am
Location: Frimley green
Re: Football in 1975

Post by supershots » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:37 pm

Played when men were men :shock:

Anon E Mouse
Posts: 2809
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:29 pm
Re: Football in 1975

Post by Anon E Mouse » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:19 pm

shots1965 wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:30 pm
Anon E Mouse wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:11 pm
Just watching the most enjoyable Big Match Revisited again in a desperate attempt to remind me of why I loved the game so much for so many years which I'm seriously struggling with at the moment.

What a difference. The FA cup 4th round is featuring and watching West Ham from Div 1 v Swindon from Div 3.
A match with 2 full strength sides (none of this, it's only Swindon so we are going to play the reserves) and with a full house at Upton Park of 35,000, respecting the competition.
West Ham went on to win the cup that year beating the mighty Fulham :D

How I wish football was still like this. Less money, full of passion, muddy pitch and respect for the Cup and the opposition.
So far away from where the game is today.
I’m going to watch it later, I love big match revisited
I’ve recorded it
Game was played in January, how many players do you see wearing gloves?
Exactly. It's such a contrast to what we attempt to watch these days.
No sideways and backwards tosh either other than across to attacking wingers.
I truely believe we have lost or are losing outlr game.

Also noticable is the running control the players had on those heavy pitches. No one can say the players are more skillful these days.

Bob
Posts: 241
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:58 pm
Re: Football in 1975

Post by Bob » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:25 pm

Anon E Mouse wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:11 pm
Just watching the most enjoyable Big Match Revisited again in a desperate attempt to remind me of why I loved the game so much for so many years which I'm seriously struggling with at the moment.

What a difference. The FA cup 4th round is featuring and watching West Ham from Div 1 v Swindon from Div 3.
A match with 2 full strength sides (none of this, it's only Swindon so we are going to play the reserves) and with a full house at Upton Park of 35,000, respecting the competition.
West Ham went on to win the cup that year beating the mighty Fulham :D

How I wish football was still like this. Less money, full of passion, muddy pitch and respect for the Cup and the opposition.
So far away from where the game is today.
Totally agree with you Mick on all of that

hepcat
Posts: 184
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:50 pm
Re: Football in 1975

Post by hepcat » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:54 pm

And you could dream in those days as it really was possible...now if you want a PL Dream you can only start to think about it once the billionaire has bought your club.
The FA Cup is sadly worthless today and will never recapture it's old status. When Lincoln made the QF as as non league side recently; apart from an unenthusiastic "Well done" there was absolutely no "Shock" value in it, similar to that you got when Colchester knocked out Leeds or NL Wimbledon beat a good First Division Burnley away and held Leeds to a draw in the next round . And my pet detestation in today's game is the boring box goal nets EVERY team has! (shamefully including us!) I loved the different types of goals you used to get at every ground-you could tell which ground it was just by looking at the goals-and it was good to see the back of those nets hit ! I'd go as far as to say I don't think a decent goal has been scored in the last 20 years as the boring box goal nets have made them all look tedious and bland !!! How about a campaign for the return of REAL goal nets with those of the 60's and 70's being reinstated so we (or is it just me ?!) can start to enjoy watching goals being scored again !!!!!

Anon E Mouse
Posts: 2809
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:29 pm
Re: Football in 1975

Post by Anon E Mouse » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:41 pm

hepcat wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:54 pm
And you could dream in those days as it really was possible...now if you want a PL Dream you can only start to think about it once the billionaire has bought your club.
The FA Cup is sadly worthless today and will never recapture it's old status. When Lincoln made the QF as as non league side recently; apart from an unenthusiastic "Well done" there was absolutely no "Shock" value in it, similar to that you got when Colchester knocked out Leeds or NL Wimbledon beat a good First Division Burnley away and held Leeds to a draw in the next round . And my pet detestation in today's game is the boring box goal nets EVERY team has! (shamefully including us!) I loved the different types of goals you used to get at every ground-you could tell which ground it was just by looking at the goals-and it was good to see the back of those nets hit ! I'd go as far as to say I don't think a decent goal has been scored in the last 20 years as the boring box goal nets have made them all look tedious and bland !!! How about a campaign for the return of REAL goal nets with those of the 60's and 70's being reinstated so we (or is it just me ?!) can start to enjoy watching goals being scored again !!!!!
Good point re the goal nets. Seem to remember the ones at Loftus road being incredibly shallow. The ball would often bounce straight out after going in.
There was a game once where the ball got stuck between the cross bar and the post in the saunction (or whatever that cross bit was called). Was it at Leicester ??

Fuggletim
Posts: 434
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:16 pm
Location: Whitehill
Re: Football in 1975

Post by Fuggletim » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:58 pm

It may be just me getting old or just familiar with the commodity, but when I first started watching football back in the 1970s there was an earthy rawness about the whole experience which just doesn't seem to be there anymore. Is it just me?

Statto
Posts: 320
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:05 pm
Location: Aldershot
Re: Football in 1975

Post by Statto » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:33 pm

Anon E Mouse wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:11 pm
Just watching the most enjoyable Big Match Revisited again in a desperate attempt to remind me of why I loved the game so much for so many years which I'm seriously struggling with at the moment.

What a difference. The FA cup 4th round is featuring and watching West Ham from Div 1 v Swindon from Div 3.
A match with 2 full strength sides (none of this, it's only Swindon so we are going to play the reserves) and with a full house at Upton Park of 35,000, respecting the competition.
West Ham went on to win the cup that year beating the mighty Fulham :D

How I wish football was still like this. Less money, full of passion, muddy pitch and respect for the Cup and the opposition.
So far away from where the game is today.
Shots favourite Paul Shrubb (RIP) was released by Fulham on the morning of the 1975 Cup Final (he was 19 years old at the time) :cry: During one of the numerous conversations that I was lucky enough to have with Shrubby, he told me that one of the first people to comfort him that day was the great Bobby Moore.

hepcat
Posts: 184
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:50 pm
Re: Football in 1975

Post by hepcat » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:57 pm

Incredible story Stat ; I can understand Bobby Moore's empathy as he was treated really shabbily by England, the FA and West Ham- all of whom knew of his serious health problems from cancer, but thought better of than treating the great man as a human being. He was doing some sort of low grade Radio punditry when he died at just 51. A shameful end for such an England great.

Bob
Posts: 241
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:58 pm
Re: Football in 1975

Post by Bob » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:14 pm

Anon E Mouse wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:41 pm
hepcat wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:54 pm
And you could dream in those days as it really was possible...now if you want a PL Dream you can only start to think about it once the billionaire has bought your club.
The FA Cup is sadly worthless today and will never recapture it's old status. When Lincoln made the QF as as non league side recently; apart from an unenthusiastic "Well done" there was absolutely no "Shock" value in it, similar to that you got when Colchester knocked out Leeds or NL Wimbledon beat a good First Division Burnley away and held Leeds to a draw in the next round . And my pet detestation in today's game is the boring box goal nets EVERY team has! (shamefully including us!) I loved the different types of goals you used to get at every ground-you could tell which ground it was just by looking at the goals-and it was good to see the back of those nets hit ! I'd go as far as to say I don't think a decent goal has been scored in the last 20 years as the boring box goal nets have made them all look tedious and bland !!! How about a campaign for the return of REAL goal nets with those of the 60's and 70's being reinstated so we (or is it just me ?!) can start to enjoy watching goals being scored again !!!!!
Good point re the goal nets. Seem to remember the ones at Loftus road being incredibly shallow. The ball would often bounce straight out after going in.
There was a game once where the ball got stuck between the cross bar and the post in the saunction (or whatever that cross bit was called). Was it at Leicester ??
Hungary 🇭🇺 v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 1981 possibly Mick, Trevor brooking

Cph.shots
Posts: 314
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:44 pm
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Re: Football in 1975

Post by Cph.shots » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:20 pm

It seemed to be often played in a mud bath too.
Been watching some old clips of George Best recently and it was incredible what he could do in atrocious conditions.

shots1965
Posts: 621
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:16 pm
Location: Oklahoma USA
Re: Football in 1975

Post by shots1965 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:33 pm

Bob wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:14 pm
Anon E Mouse wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:41 pm
hepcat wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:54 pm
And you could dream in those days as it really was possible...now if you want a PL Dream you can only start to think about it once the billionaire has bought your club.
The FA Cup is sadly worthless today and will never recapture it's old status. When Lincoln made the QF as as non league side recently; apart from an unenthusiastic "Well done" there was absolutely no "Shock" value in it, similar to that you got when Colchester knocked out Leeds or NL Wimbledon beat a good First Division Burnley away and held Leeds to a draw in the next round . And my pet detestation in today's game is the boring box goal nets EVERY team has! (shamefully including us!) I loved the different types of goals you used to get at every ground-you could tell which ground it was just by looking at the goals-and it was good to see the back of those nets hit ! I'd go as far as to say I don't think a decent goal has been scored in the last 20 years as the boring box goal nets have made them all look tedious and bland !!! How about a campaign for the return of REAL goal nets with those of the 60's and 70's being reinstated so we (or is it just me ?!) can start to enjoy watching goals being scored again !!!!!
Good point re the goal nets. Seem to remember the ones at Loftus road being incredibly shallow. The ball would often bounce straight out after going in.
There was a game once where the ball got stuck between the cross bar and the post in the saunction (or whatever that cross bit was called). Was it at Leicester ??
Hungary 🇭🇺 v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 1981 possibly Mick, Trevor brooking
Here you go postie, about five minutes 25 seconds in

By the way, you have a great memory



https://youtube.com/watch?v=p6QD4LDTT9E

Bob
Posts: 241
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:58 pm
Re: Football in 1975

Post by Bob » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:35 pm

Football was more genuine then, muddy pitches which is natural between October and April, numbers 1-11 and not 1-98 now, 1 sub and not 3 or 5 now, less pampering than now, no VAR crap, not worried about playing twice a week, replays in cups with no fuss, more English/ British players, FA cup million times better than now because a shock then was a shock example being Hereford beating Newcastle and leatherhead beating Burnley?

Statto
Posts: 320
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:05 pm
Location: Aldershot
Re: Football in 1975

Post by Statto » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:40 pm

Cph.shots wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:20 pm
It seemed to be often played in a mud bath too.
Been watching some old clips of George Best recently and it was incredible what he could do in atrocious conditions.
For me, the game that always acts as a brilliant example of pitches that were able to be played on despite not being perfect is the Hereford v Newcastle FA Cup third round replay at Edgar Street from February 1972. When the players came off, you had no idea who was wearing which kit!

One of the worst cabbage patches I ever played on was back in the 80s at Fleet Town in a game that ended 5-5!

There are also some crazy examples of modern day football being played on waterlogged pitches (IIRC, mainly in South America) available on YouTube.


Post Reply