Former players etc

Statto
Posts: 415
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:05 pm
Location: Aldershot
Re: Former players etc

Post by Statto » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:48 pm

fredandballou wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:32 pm
After a contractual dispute with Kettering Town Dan Holman has parted company with the club and has decided to hang up his boots. Dan is now about to launch a six-week mindset academy called Goodman.
Dan left Kettering before the season started. His project is called Goalman - he's been planning it since last year.

Old Bob
Posts: 462
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:23 pm
Re: Former players etc

Post by Old Bob » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:03 pm

Statto wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:48 pm
fredandballou wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:32 pm
After a contractual dispute with Kettering Town Dan Holman has parted company with the club and has decided to hang up his boots. Dan is now about to launch a six-week mindset academy called Goodman.
Dan left Kettering before the season started. His project is called Goalman - he's been planning it since last year.
I used to have a mindset, but I lost some of the pieces. Or was that my chess set?

Statto
Posts: 415
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:05 pm
Location: Aldershot
Re: Former players etc

Post by Statto » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:32 pm

I hate to disappoint those of you who were hoping he'd return, but Matt McClure has agreed a new contract at Gloucester City 8)

chimpster99
Posts: 424
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 6:54 am
Location: Alton
Re: Former players etc

Post by chimpster99 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:05 pm

[quote=Statto post_id=649542 time=1610731925 user_id=688]
I hate to disappoint those of you who were hoping he'd return, but [b]Matt McClure[/b] has agreed a new contract at Gloucester City 8)
[/quote]

Reckon he’s only staying there because they play in the Melchester Rovers kit!

fredandballou
Posts: 252
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:48 pm
Re: Former players etc

Post by fredandballou » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:58 pm

Connor Shields scored both of Queen of the South's goals in their Scottish Championship 2 - 2 draw at home to Arbroath this afternoon.

Statto
Posts: 415
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:05 pm
Location: Aldershot
Re: Former players etc

Post by Statto » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:49 pm

fredandballou wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:58 pm
Connor Shields scored both of Queen of the South's goals in their Scottish Championship 2 - 2 draw at home to Arbroath this afternoon.
He cant stop scoring lately (after going two-and-a-half months without a goal) - 7 goals in his last 5 games!

Anon E Mouse
Posts: 3177
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:29 pm
Re: Former players etc

Post by Anon E Mouse » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:32 pm

Statto wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:49 pm
fredandballou wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:58 pm
Connor Shields scored both of Queen of the South's goals in their Scottish Championship 2 - 2 draw at home to Arbroath this afternoon.
He cant stop scoring lately (after going two-and-a-half months without a goal) - 7 goals in his last 5 games!
Good on him. We always played him in the wrong position at Aldershot although that level of Scottish football is pretty Micky Mouse. In fact all of Scottish football apart from the Top 5 or 6 teams.

chimpster99
Posts: 424
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 6:54 am
Location: Alton
Re: Former players etc

Post by chimpster99 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:48 pm

[quote="Anon E Mouse" post_id=649609 time=1610922778 user_id=419]
[quote=Statto post_id=649592 time=1610902156 user_id=688]
[quote=fredandballou post_id=649569 time=1610816334 user_id=8460]
Connor Shields scored both of Queen of the South's goals in their Scottish Championship 2 - 2 draw at home to Arbroath this afternoon.
[/quote]He cant stop scoring lately (after going two-and-a-half months without a goal) - 7 goals in his last 5 games!
[/quote]

Good on him. We always played him in the wrong position at Aldershot although that level of Scottish football is pretty Micky Mouse. In fact all of Scottish football apart from the Top 5 or 6 teams.
[/quote]

The Scottish Championship is still a reasonable standard, probably about NL/NLS. Connor is playing in a 4-4-2 system alongside a 6ft+ striker, not something he ever got the opportunity to do here.

Dr Jim Royle
Posts: 672
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:21 am
Re: Former players etc

Post by Dr Jim Royle » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:59 am

Good on him. We always played him in the wrong position at Aldershot although that level of Scottish football is pretty Micky Mouse. In fact all of Scottish football apart from the Top 5 or 6 teams.
The Scottish Championship is still a reasonable standard, probably about NL/NLS. Connor is playing in a 4-4-2 system alongside a 6ft+ striker, not something he ever got the opportunity to do here.[/quote]

A lot of fans seem to remember former players with a tadge of rose tinted glasses, especially if they dare to score a goal or two.

The lad did get chances both as a wide player (his favoured position) and more central. IMHO, a player who at least gave it his all but really didn't have the control of the ball or finishing skills needed at our level. If I remember right he also failed to hit the net taking penalties, a free shot.

Good luck to him now, but not a player I miss terribly.

aldershot-jg
Posts: 367
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:17 pm
Location: Aldershot
Re: Former players etc

Post by aldershot-jg » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:23 am

Dr Jim Royle wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:59 am
Good on him. We always played him in the wrong position at Aldershot although that level of Scottish football is pretty Micky Mouse. In fact all of Scottish football apart from the Top 5 or 6 teams.
The Scottish Championship is still a reasonable standard, probably about NL/NLS. Connor is playing in a 4-4-2 system alongside a 6ft+ striker, not something he ever got the opportunity to do here.
A lot of fans seem to remember former players with a tadge of rose tinted glasses, especially if they dare to score a goal or two.

The lad did get chances both as a wide player (his favoured position) and more central. IMHO, a player who at least gave it his all but really didn't have the control of the ball or finishing skills needed at our level. If I remember right he also failed to hit the net taking penalties, a free shot.

Good luck to him now, but not a player I miss terribly.

[/quote]

Think we missed every penalty before Chislett started taking them (and scored all of his). Don’t think there had been many but both Connor and Harri had missed their only efforts from the spot.

When Connor went on loan to Billericay last season he seemed to stand out more at that level, and completely agree with your assessment over his control and finishing, he might have been credited with the goal against Fylde on the opening day last season but it was clearly an own goal. It wasn’t as if he didn’t have chances either, his pace got him behind defences and when the chances came he wasn’t good enough to beat the keeper. I will just remember him as a player that was fast.

Statto
Posts: 415
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:05 pm
Location: Aldershot
Re: Former players etc

Post by Statto » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:32 pm

Indeed, aldershot-jg, you are correct.

Connor took/missed two penalties:

v Ebbsfleet United (31.8.19).
v Barrow (7.9.19).

Harry took/missed one penalty:

v Chesterfield (28.9.19).

Ethan took/scored two penalties:

v Yeovil Town (26.11.19).
v Chesterfield (30.11.19).

fredandballou
Posts: 252
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:48 pm
Re: Former players etc

Post by fredandballou » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:45 pm

Mansfield's Rollin Menayese has signed on loan for Grimsby until the end of the season.

SteveyAsp
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:21 pm
Re: Former players etc

Post by SteveyAsp » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:30 pm

Former loan player Alex Fletcher has left Tiverton Town and joined Bath City for an undisclosed fee

fredandballou
Posts: 252
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:48 pm
Re: Former players etc

Post by fredandballou » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:24 pm

Ex Shots trialist keeper Craig Ross made two penalty saves to give Woking a 7 - 6 win in penalty shoot out over Bromley after 1 - 1 draw in tonight's Trophy game.

Alex
Posts: 802
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:56 pm
Re: Former players etc

Post by Alex » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:59 pm



Post Reply