Solihull Match Thread

Anon E Mouse
Re: Solihull Match Thread

Post by Anon E Mouse » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:53 pm

Morrissey's Scorcher wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:03 pm
I probably shouldn't admit this but I do wish my dad had supported a slightly less hopeless club, I'm not talking about Manchester United or one of those glory sides, just a club that managed to achieve even a modicum of league and cup success. Let's face it supporting the Shots has always been a case of disappointment and sheer endurance. The old club managed two promotions between 1932 and 92! Cup runs were about as rare as Dodo eggs too. I must admit when 92 started I thought maybe, just maybe it might be different now, but no we had the same kind of people running the club from the start with little ambition and falling into the traps the old club managed, debt, debt and more debt. With the odd exceptions like Terry Brown and Gary Waddock (first time round), the Boards choice of managers has been pretty disastrous. Since becoming a non-league side in 1992 we have managed to beat just one league club in the cup, Portsmouth what a terrible indictment that is on the club, and the least said about our two FAT semi-final attempts! When we got relegated back from League Two I must admit my enthusiasm drained completely, the club just seems totally pointless now with no hope for it at all. Just making up the numbers.
Spot on MS. Its a thankless task with the hope that kills you.
That's why a lot of us grab onto a couple of good results in the hope that maybe just maybe this is the turning point, only to be kicked firmly in the nuts when we capitulate in the next few games and so it goes on.
It was more bearable when we had players and management you could properly believe in, but at the moment I personally have neither really and that is making it a whole heap harder along with the state of the world as well.
I was actually happier when we werent playing no doubt about it. That is how low its sunk.

Richard Petty

Post by Richard Petty » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:07 pm

ACA wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:47 pm
shotsboy66 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:38 pm
For me what I feel the Shots need is a return to having "characters" that supporters can feel an attachment to, Many years ago, under Terry Brown as Manager we had the likes of Bully, Ray Warbs, Roscoe & Aaron, Chippy Charles- players that felt a connection with the club and played with a love for the club, and in return felt loved by the supporters!!

Oh for similiar days...
Unfortunately, comparing the present to the past is like comparing apples and oranges. We were a semi-professional outfit when Terry Brown took over, the players all had jobs outside of football and played the game because they enjoyed it. Many of them were probably locally based and we had the advantage of being one of the best supported semi-pro clubs in the South.

Fast forward twenty years and we're a full-time outfit employing full-time players who, to put it bluntly, aren't good enough for the Football League. We can't afford multi-year contracts and have to rely on journeymen or injury-prone players who are here to earn a living for a season or two. If they do well, a club with more resources will pick them up at the end of their contract. Media soundbites aside, they aren't here because they have any particular love for the club or affinity with the supporters. Why would they be? It's just a job. Occasionally we find a youngster who we can develop, but they'll be off at the first sign of a contract offer from a league club. That's the reality of being a full-time side in the lowest full time league in the country.
Adding to what ACA has just said I don't think even the part time lower non league sides have the same sort of characters that were around in the past, there is a professionalism in the game now that goes further down the pyramid than it used to.

The other thing is that there are also those Rose tinted glasses that get worn looking into the past, we (and I include myself) look back at all the wonderful memories of days gone by especially where the Shots is concerned but the reality is that those wonderful memories are the result of being a bit selective as there were some really bad times back then as well.

The big difference then is that back then there was no social media. We were often just as depressed after a game but the difference is that we didn't share it and keep the depression alive for day after day. Complaint and demand for change was reserved for match day's with protests, banners and it has to be said shouted abuse that would probably see you thrown out of a stadium these days.

Was it really as good as we remember it, probably not.

Mytshot

Post by Mytshot » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:37 pm

shotsboy66 wrote:
Re the above posts- sad to say but fans do feel that they`ve lost the love so to speak...

For me what I feel the Shots need is a return to having "characters" that supporters can feel an attachment to, Many years ago, under Terry Brown as Manager we had the likes of Bully, Ray Warbs, Roscoe & Aaron, Chippy Charles- players that felt a connection with the club and played with a love for the club, and in return felt loved by the supporters!!

Oh for similiar days...
I think part of the problem is that modern day footballers (even at our level) all go through the same academies, coached by the same coaches with the same badges and all go on the same media training courses. We've ended up with a generation of clone footballers.

Redshot66

Post by Redshot66 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:33 pm

ACA wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:47 pm
shotsboy66 wrote:

Oh for similiar days...
Unfortunately, comparing the present to the past is like comparing apples and oranges. We were a semi-professional outfit when Terry Brown took over, the players all had jobs outside of football and played the game because they enjoyed it. Many of them were probably locally based and we had the advantage of being one of the best supported semi-pro clubs in the South.

Fast forward twenty years and we're a full-time outfit employing full-time players who, to put it bluntly, aren't good enough for the Football League. We can't afford multi-year contracts and have to rely on journeymen or injury-prone players who are here to earn a living for a season or two. If they do well, a club with more resources will pick them up at the end of their contract. Media soundbites aside, they aren't here because they have any particular love for the club or affinity with the supporters. Why would they be? It's just a job. Occasionally we find a youngster who we can develop, but they'll be off at the first sign of a contract offer from a league club. That's the reality of being a full-time side in the lowest full time league in the country.
Pretty much spot on,maybe now is the time to play at a lower level where we can win most games,make for a quieter forum,and don’t have to read endless posts from the keyboard managers and owners.

Alex

Post by Alex » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:39 pm

Blimey the way some of you are going on you’d think we’ve just lost 0-5 at home to Dover and we’re on a 10 game losing run! Not 1-3 against big spending and experienced Solihull after a good point away at promotion favourites Stockport!

On TV recently I’ve heard a lot of players and managers say a sensible thing, ‘we won’t get too high after a win, but also don’t get too low after a defeat.’

A few on here and social media need to chill out.

Kevin Carlin

Post by Kevin Carlin » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:08 pm

I think it was the manner of the defeat that people are annoyed about. We aren’t going to win every game but as a fan the minimum we should expect is 100 percent effort and passion. Not sure that be said of last nights woeful performance, 3-1 absolutely flattered us to be fair.

Dom Sterlings Left Leg

Post by Dom Sterlings Left Leg » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:34 pm

Im not sure its solely that. The issue to my tiny mind is one of a complete lack of direction and hope.

For the best part of 10 years now we have been slowly going backwards, but for 18 months under waddock mk2 which now feels like the clubs last desperate attempt to buy some success which ultimately failed and we have been paying the price of ever since.

The club is stagnant and the only glimmer of hope we all seem to be clinging to is the ground redevelopment which will reverse the slide, a forlorn hope if ever their was one.

The club needs a radical overhaul before apathy really sets in.

I just dont see where its coming from.

ShotOnTarget

Post by ShotOnTarget » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:48 pm

Dom Sterlings Left Leg wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:34 pm
Im not sure its solely that. The issue to my tiny mind is one of a complete lack of direction and hope.

For the best part of 10 years now we have been slowly going backwards, but for 18 months under waddock mk2 which now feels like the clubs last desperate attempt to buy some success which ultimately failed and we have been paying the price of ever since.

The club is stagnant and the only glimmer of hope we all seem to be clinging to is the ground redevelopment which will reverse the slide, a forlorn hope if ever their was one.

Get Terry Owens and Graham Brookland on the board of directors. That would be start.

WTF

Post by WTF » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:00 pm

ShotOnTarget wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:48 pm

Get Terry Owens and Graham Brookland on the board of directors. That would be start.
I concur with that!

Crowthorne

Post by Crowthorne » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:06 pm

I wonder if there are any more Hollywood stars looking to buy a British "soccer" club.

Kevin Carlin

Post by Kevin Carlin » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:08 pm

Excellent post and pretty much says it all.

Kevin Carlin

Post by Kevin Carlin » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:10 pm

ShotOnTarget wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:48 pm

No chance of that happening as a lot of jealousy towards both of them.

Shot in the back

Post by Shot in the back » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:20 pm

Maybe it is time to look at our u23 s and u19 s squads promoting and growing our own talent it may mean mistakes in games but I would imagine you would get 100 % effort and desire and to a certain degree some loyalty and if they prove themselves some financial benefits selling on .We have an academy so why not use it

Bob

Post by Bob » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:23 pm

Crowthorne wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:06 pm
I wonder if there are any more Hollywood stars looking to buy a British "soccer" club.
More chance of George and Mildred running our club, Wrexham much more appealing than us sadly!

Anon E Mouse

Post by Anon E Mouse » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:25 pm

Alex wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:39 pm
Blimey the way some of you are going on you’d think we’ve just lost 0-5 at home to Dover and we’re on a 10 game losing run! Not 1-3 against big spending and experienced Solihull after a good point away at promotion favourites Stockport!

On TV recently I’ve heard a lot of players and managers say a sensible thing, ‘we won’t get too high after a win, but also don’t get too low after a defeat.’

A few on here and social media need to chill out.
It's obviously not just last night is it Alex. Only you seem happy in this 'not high after a win, not low after defeat'.
What that leaves you with is boring passionless mediocrity. Exactly how it feels atm and its driving some of the most loyal and passion filled supporters away which is sad to see.