Solihull Match Thread

EV
Re: Solihull Match Thread

Post by EV » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:15 pm

I'm with Alex, I cannot understand the doom & gloom plus & I've said it before, if you're so concerned about club finances support the In With A Shot scheme. A win for the club & fans alike. It has huge potential, but so so many just dismiss it.

Old Bob

Post by Old Bob » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:24 pm

EV wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:15 pm
I'm with Alex, I cannot understand the doom & gloom ...
Read Bob/DP's post immediately above yours. It's not too hard to understand.

Anon E Mouse

Post by Anon E Mouse » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:24 pm

EV wrote:
I'm with Alex, I cannot understand the doom & gloom plus & I've said it before, if you're so concerned about club finances support the In With A Shot scheme. A win for the club & fans alike. It has huge potential, but so so many just dismiss it.
I hope you will be very happy together. :wink:

Anon E Mouse

Post by Anon E Mouse » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:25 pm

Old Bob wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:24 pm
EV wrote:
I'm with Alex, I cannot understand the doom & gloom ...
Read Bob/DP's post immediately above yours. It's not too hard to understand.
And Dr Jim's and A shot from Wales etc etc.

EV

Post by EV » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:33 pm

I have read it all, I see, hear everyone's downbeat feelings. But still the positives to be had. We all have differing views, but I would rather support what we have in anyway I can to help the club through these difficult times & try to urge the players to come back stronger which they are very capable of.

Old Bob

Post by Old Bob » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:39 pm

EV wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:33 pm
I have read it all, I see, hear everyone's downbeat feelings. But still the positives to be had. We all have differing views, but I would rather support what we have in anyway I can to help the club through these difficult times & try to urge the players to come back stronger which they are very capable of.
Dead right, EV. Let's all take the positives from Shots 1 Solihull Moors 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olQrCfkvbGw

EV

Post by EV » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:46 pm

So the first half was poor, but the second we did show fight & a desire to come back. Rowe made an impact & we eventually had some good balls into their box. Rees was as usual an example to all. Positives. I see what is wrong but I see what is good. That was just one game, yes there are these types of games occasionally but we always return stronger. We are a young side who are inconsistent, but are stronger than last season & they have done well without vocal support. But and I say again, why can't everyone on here support the In With A Shot scheme, it's always met with silence.? Why not give the club and yourselves a chance to reap the rewards.?

Kevin Carlin

Post by Kevin Carlin » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:26 pm

EV wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:46 pm
So the first half was poor, but the second we did show fight & a desire to come back. Rowe made an impact & we eventually had some good balls into their box. Rees was as usual an example to all. Positives. I see what is wrong but I see what is good. That was just one game, yes there are these types of games occasionally but we always return stronger. We are a young side who are inconsistent, but are stronger than last season & they have done well without vocal support. But and I say again, why can't everyone on here support the In With A Shot scheme, it's always met with silence.? Why not give the club and yourselves a chance to reap the rewards.?
First half was poor is an understatement and our set piece deliveries were shocking.The second half could only be better but apart from the last the last 10 mins I’m not sure there was much fight and desire, by then the game was over. I show my support at the beginning of the season by purchasing a season ticket.

margateshot

Post by margateshot » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:30 am

shotsboy66 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:38 pm
Re the above posts- sad to say but fans do feel that they`ve lost the love so to speak...

For me what I feel the Shots need is a return to having "characters" that supporters can feel an attachment to, Many years ago, under Terry Brown as Manager we had the likes of Bully, Ray Warbs, Roscoe & Aaron, Chippy Charles- players that felt a connection with the club and played with a love for the club, and in return felt loved by the supporters!!

Oh for similiar days...
The problem with that SB66 is that the players have had no engagement with the fans at all, so we do not know who the characters are. I would think that 50% of the team haven't even played in front of fans at the rec, so have never had that experience. Who knows what the team may have played like in front of a decent crowd. One player who immediately comes to mind is Ricky Miller. Going by his performance on the commentary I'm sure he would be engaging well with the fans.

CH

Post by CH » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:52 am

Another one here that doesn't have a problem with Alex's opinion - he is entitled to it as much as everyone else.

I think the reason he tends to rile up other posters more than any of the rest of us is that he is very direct and not afraid to jump on others opinions, which is fine, but then doesn't allow himself to engage in debate in a thread. Usually it will be one post here or there telling people what he believes everyone should think.

Again nothing wrong with that, but maybe other posters feel the need to respond and challenge his opinion in a healthy way, as he has done to them bit feel unable to do so, prompting frustration.

Alex had a 'pop' at me recently for daring to ask the forum whether Searle had finally seen through James Rowe, which was a genuine question based on his limited appearance time, not long after Danny had called him the 'best player at the club', accusing me of digging around looking for something to moan about. I replied regrettably in a frustrated manner then realised soon after, he has his opinion, he is probably trying to promote positivity in his own way, and also,
others replied to my question anyway. For this reason I now read Alex's posts with interest, but try to see them more for whats behind them rather than the actual words. I find him a valuable part of the forum and missed him in his hiatus last year.

ACA

Post by ACA » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:06 am

I don't think anyone should be criticised for expressing their opinion, but it's worth bearing in mind that Alex's hyper-positivity is a relatively recent phenomenon. Just a few seasons ago, he used to be the one who would seemingly "dig around" for something to moan about at any possible opportunity. Now others are criticised by him for doing exactly the same thing. That might explain some of the frustrated replies he seems to attract.

WTF

Post by WTF » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:13 am

margateshot wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:30 am
shotsboy66 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:38 pm
Re the above posts- sad to say but fans do feel that they`ve lost the love so to speak...

For me what I feel the Shots need is a return to having "characters" that supporters can feel an attachment to, Many years ago, under Terry Brown as Manager we had the likes of Bully, Ray Warbs, Roscoe & Aaron, Chippy Charles- players that felt a connection with the club and played with a love for the club, and in return felt loved by the supporters!!

Oh for similiar days...
The problem with that SB66 is that the players have had no engagement with the fans at all, so we do not know who the characters are. I would think that 50% of the team haven't even played in front of fans at the rec, so have never had that experience. Who knows what the team may have played like in front of a decent crowd. One player who immediately comes to mind is Ricky Miller. Going by his performance on the commentary I'm sure he would be engaging well with the fans.
You make a good point, however isn't it the same for all players at all clubs in our league?

That certainly did not effect Solihull on Tuesday and has not affected Torquay at the top of the table, plus many other clubs pushing at the top.

chimpster99

Post by chimpster99 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:29 am

Let’s face facts, we haven’t looked solid since we sorted Woking out. The wins since then were chaotic, high scoring games where we got the rub of the green - but the defence still looked shakier than a dog with a stomach upset. Stockport was a rearguard game plan which worked, at the cost of any kind of attacking intent, but Solihull exposed our weaknesses for what they are.

I know he’s not everyone’s cup of tea but we have missed Fowler big time. Kodi is the only other defender showing some form, Edser is blowing hot and cold, Anderson’s not living up to his early form and Miller is playing out of position.

Players are almost certainly being affected by the financial loans issue and the uncertainty it bring, but it’s the manager’s job to deal with that and get them focused on the task in hand. At this stage it looks like we’re stuck with the players we have so it’s up to the skipper to step up and work with Anwar to sort us out defensively. And Danny needs to find the gumption to mix up our attacking option - putting Miller central for starters.

Saturday will be beyond difficult with the current injury list but we have to get into trench mentality and grind out a result.

Richard Petty

Post by Richard Petty » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:35 am

EV wrote:
This is actually a very good post and deserves re reading and actually thinking about.

karlready

Post by karlready » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:58 am

Richard Petty wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:35 am
EV wrote:
This is actually a very good post and deserves re reading and actually thinking about.
Agree, my view has always been that the squad is decent and capable of much more than we are seeing. But there is no leadership on the pitch, and it often appears that there is little inspiration or motivation from the dressing room. And often tactics ,player positioning and substitutions are baffling. Down to the manager, I’m afraid.