Cobblers!!

RichShot
Re: Cobblers!!

Post by RichShot » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:48 pm

Shotsweb is the loud minority. Include myself in this. There is the silent majority of shots fans who do not contribute on shotsweb.

Dr Jim Royle

Post by Dr Jim Royle » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:47 am

I think folk need to take a deep breath and realise we are now well in Feb and March looming. T'is the time of the Agent now plying their trade either advertising their clients or looking to secure their next contracts. Managers are no different to players in this crazy world of football.

Our better players will be seeking deals now, our weaker players living in hope the Club offers them new deals. Our injured players desperate to get back fit so the shop window can be used.

Cynical maybe, but these are the simple facts of the modern game.

Short contracts mean little chance of any loyalty, folk are looking at putting food on tables and rents and mortgages paid.

Good luck to any Manager or Player choosing to move on and secure their next relatively short few years if able to do so.

Clubs will be looking to offload the unwanted asap.

The circle of football life is vicious.

ACA

Post by ACA » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:54 am

RichShot wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:48 pm
Shotsweb is the loud minority. Include myself in this. There is the silent majority of shots fans who do not contribute on shotsweb.
Completely agree with you. Those that shout the loudest on here do not necessarily reflect the views of everyone, or even the majority. That's always worth remembering.

Richard Petty

Post by Richard Petty » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:14 am

Old Bob wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:02 pm
Richard Petty wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:14 pm
Yep, I have a lot of time for Matt Gray, very likeable, a talented coach and well respected by the players.
If not by a number of Shots supporters!

Honestly though, I could never fathom why he got such stick when he was with us. It seemed to be based entirely on the fact he joined us from Eastleigh. He seemed to get blamed for every bad result we had.
I was always disappointed at the criticism he got and like you found it hard to fathom out why it was the case.

I always remember one of the criticisms that people used to have was that he was always shouting at the players telling them what to do and that he should leave them to get on with it. Luke Garrard is a perfect example of how that style of team management actually works, he micro manages every bit of the game and never stops coaching his players for the whole 90 minutes. Also a bit ironic how many of those same critics would subsequently complain about later managers not being animated enough, Matt for some reason just did not get the fans backing that I think he deserved.

ACA

Post by ACA » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:23 am

I think he was rather simplistically designated "the common denominator" by a section of our fanbase. He was here during a difficult period for the club (Holdsworth and Scott) when the football was far from brilliant and the players recruited were, on the whole, poor. When the football didn't improve by changing managers, some supporters appeared to latch onto Gray's role and decided that he was the real problem. His spell with Sutton seems to show that, actually, he knows what he's doing.

EastbankAndy

Post by EastbankAndy » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:49 pm

What manager in their right mind would take on this job. If they read Moanweb with all the poison and vitriol spouted about then there is no hope. I agree with Alex about ‘Suporters’......

I feel for DS having to work with one hand tied behind his back.....He’s not my favourite either but by god he’s putting the work in. I agree about his hangers on......never understood that

redblueuptoyou

Post by redblueuptoyou » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:42 pm

Richard Petty wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:14 am
Old Bob wrote:
Richard Petty wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:14 pm
Yep, I have a lot of time for Matt Gray, very likeable, a talented coach and well respected by the players.

Honestly though, I could never fathom why he got such stick when he was with us. It seemed to be based entirely on the fact he joined us from Eastleigh. He seemed to get blamed for every bad result we had.
I was always disappointed at the criticism he got and like you found it hard to fathom out why it was the case.

I always remember one of the criticisms that people used to have was that he was always shouting at the players telling them what to do and that he should leave them to get on with it. Luke Garrard is a perfect example of how that style of team management actually works, he micro manages every bit of the game and never stops coaching his players for the whole 90 minutes. Also a bit ironic how many of those same critics would subsequently complain about later managers not being animated enough, Matt for some reason just did not get the fans backing that I think he deserved.
I’d imagine you know better than me but I once sat directly behind Waddock during a game and he was doing the same, telling the players who to pass to. I don’t remember that ever being an issue for any supporters!

Birdman

Post by Birdman » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:53 pm

redblueuptoyou wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:42 pm
Richard Petty wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:14 am
Old Bob wrote:

I’d imagine you know better than me but I once sat directly behind Waddock during a game and he was doing the same, telling the players who to pass to. I don’t remember that ever being an issue for any supporters!
There was criticism of Matt Gray by one or two on here (one in particular, no names) about MG being very vocal. Quite a frequent critic if I recall correctly.
I agree with ACA’s comment above, basically guilty by association with Scott and Holdsworth.

Old Bob

Post by Old Bob » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:44 pm

ACA wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:23 am
I think he was rather simplistically designated "the common denominator" by a section of our fanbase. He was here during a difficult period for the club (Holdsworth and Scott) when the football was far from brilliant and the players recruited were, on the whole, poor. When the football didn't improve by changing managers, some supporters appeared to latch onto Gray's role and decided that he was the real problem. His spell with Sutton seems to show that, actually, he knows what he's doing.
Good analysis, ACA. I think you are right. I remember being flummoxed at the time by the sheer irrationality of blaming Matt Gray for the fact that Dean Holdsworth was ... well ... Dean Holdsworth.

GetShotDownunder

Post by GetShotDownunder » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:12 pm

RichShot wrote:
Could be regurgitating bollox but those lefty fans at fc St Pauli have a 49% say in all major boardroom decisions..... the board have the final say but at least they get a good feel for what the fans may feel strongly about.... near neighbours HSV also have some sort of similar supporter setup. If only modern football could factor in emotional attachment into its business metrics in such a way.

Lol anyway Matt Gray, yup good manager at this level. :mrgreen:

Shots2000

Post by Shots2000 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:44 pm

If Northampton are considering him today could be the deal breaker.

fredandballou

Post by fredandballou » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:10 pm

If on Tuesday we had played like we did this afternoon I think Danny could well have had one foot in the door at Northampton.

dalinz

Post by dalinz » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:18 pm

shots1965 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:22 pm
Crowthorne wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:38 am
WTF wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:25 am
Oh dear, Im not sure how these stories start. Its a no brainer for me Danny Cowley has the edge over all with his experience and has achieved, Its a big shame he didnt apply for the job at The Shots, or did he?
Not sure the Cowley brothers would be interested in dropping down that low, I think they would want somewhere bigger.
The Cowley brothers...sound like a couple of gangsters from Fools and Horses
You're thinking of the Driscoll brothers.
Sounds nothing like Cowley.

dalinz

Post by dalinz » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:26 pm

RichShot wrote:
Spot on.

Relates to all social media too. There are people who believe what they read on SM is the popular opinion...

Shots2000

Post by Shots2000 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:30 pm

fredandballou wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:10 pm
If on Tuesday we had played like we did this afternoon I think Danny could well have had one foot in the door at Northampton.
For sure. Although if they are lining him out and that articles not complete rubbish he could be off soon.