The National League season is to continue

SteveyAsp
Re: The National League season is to continue

Post by SteveyAsp » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:49 pm

IanShots wrote:Dover will presumably be thrown into the NLS for next season and we run with 22 clubs, question is will the EFL accept promoted clubs
I don't expect them to be thrown out, it's not their fault they can't afford to continue or don't want to risk the club.
I'm not sure they'll be the last to make that decision either.
We don't know what our BOD have decided for us.

baldershot

Post by baldershot » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:21 pm

Turnkey wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:28 pm
Redshot66 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:22 pm
Doesn’t the furlough scheme finish end of March
Nope, was extended to June 3 weeks ago.
It actually is currently due to end on 30 April. A lot of speculation about it being extended in some form to end of June.

Shahid said he would not be taking on the loan offered by DCMS. If that offer doesn't change (very unlikely) we won't be able to afford to continue to play with a full squad and other staff being paid. How many would we need to furlough to make it viable to continue?

Ian Rust

Post by Ian Rust » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:25 pm

Dover have put themselves in an unnecessarily precarious position. By confirming they are unable to complete the season they have effectively declared themselves insolvent, so their fate will surely be EXPULSION from the NL. This will mean starting again at the bottom of the pyramid (eg. like Darlington, Scarborough, Boston, Macclesfield, Bury, Hereford etc etc) most likely in the Kent Senior League I would have thought. Why oh why didn’t they just keep their heads down & wait for the NLS & NLN to throw the towel in (as was always likely), then like someone said earlier, they’d have had a free pass for next season with no relegation & could have slashed costs by fielding their supporters club team if necessary. It’s got to make you wonder, why on earth did their chairman chose to stick his head over the parapet like this? In football management terms this is surely the biggest numpty decision of the century!
Last edited by Ian Rust on Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fuggletim

Post by Fuggletim » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:29 pm

Crowthorne wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:08 pm
bordon shot wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:30 pm
AFC197273 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:00 pm
Going to be a lot of dead rubbers , so wont bother paying for steaming the league games now but will listen on line.
Not sure if the Trophy will continue but happy to watch that.
Scratch team out for the league games and go all out to win the FA trophy and win some much needed cash is my view at the moment
I may be a mug in some peoples eyes, but I like to call myself a shots supporter. I will continue to support my team by paying for the streaming regardless of the game . That way, I know I am doing my bit to keep the club going, until we get to better times & normality.
Aldershot and normality two words that don't go together.
It depends in which context you want to associate the words "Aldershot" and "normality." It is very subjective.

Bob

Post by Bob » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:33 pm

Ian Rust wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:25 pm
Dover have put themselves in an unnecessarily precarious position. By confirming they are unable to complete the season they have effectively declared themselves insolvent, so their fate will surely be EXPULSION from the NL. This will mean starting again at the bottom of the pyramid (eg. like Darlington, Scarborough, Boston, Macclesfield, Bury, Hereford etc etc) most likely in the Kent Senior League I would have thought. Why oh why didn’t they just keep their heads down & wait for the NLS & NLN to throw the towel in (as was always likely), then like someone said earlier, they’d have had a free pass for next season with no relegation & could have slashed costs by fielding their supporters club team if necessary. It’s got to make you wonder, why on earth did their chairman stick his head over the parapet like this? In football management terms this is surely the biggest numpty decision of the century!
Good post

Anon E Mouse

Post by Anon E Mouse » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:34 pm

So what is Aldershots stance.
Time for a proper announcement from our Chairman ????

IanShots

Post by IanShots » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:45 am

Bob wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:33 pm
Ian Rust wrote:
Dover have put themselves in an unnecessarily precarious position. By confirming they are unable to complete the season they have effectively declared themselves insolvent, so their fate will surely be EXPULSION from the NL. This will mean starting again at the bottom of the pyramid (eg. like Darlington, Scarborough, Boston, Macclesfield, Bury, Hereford etc etc) most likely in the Kent Senior League I would have thought. Why oh why didn’t they just keep their heads down & wait for the NLS & NLN to throw the towel in (as was always likely), then like someone said earlier, they’d have had a free pass for next season with no relegation & could have slashed costs by fielding their supporters club team if necessary. It’s got to make you wonder, why on earth did their chairman stick his head over the parapet like this? In football management terms this is surely the biggest numpty decision of the century!
Good post
Yes he has probably made the biggest mistake of his business life

Richard Petty

Post by Richard Petty » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:16 am

IanShots wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:45 am
Bob wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:33 pm
Ian Rust wrote:
Good post
Yes he has probably made the biggest mistake of his business life
He does have a bit of a history of "Grandstanding" remember when he went in the local press threatening to close the club down if more of the locals didn't support it.

IanShots

Post by IanShots » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:34 am

Ah yes, I do remember that!
Mind you at the time he probably had a point; not exactly well supported even when they looked like making the play offs

Anon E Mouse

Post by Anon E Mouse » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:41 pm

So we are just continuing?
No worry re finances ?

How did we vote ?

Richard Petty

Post by Richard Petty » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:47 pm

This is interesting, DCMS have just announced their Winter Survival Fund for other sports

Women’s Super League & Championship: -£2.25m in grants

Netball -£4.2m in grants

Basketball -£2.7m in grants & loans

Badminton -£1.3m in grants

So for some reason Basketball only gets a mix of Grants and loans and yet Women's Super League and Women's Championship (who re all funded by wealthy Football clubs) get grants alongside Netball and Badminton. And of course as we know the National League only gets offered loans. You either have grants for everyone or loans for everyone it cant be right that different sports get different treatment.

Also very interesting that over 20 days since Ollie Bayliss's Public information request for the notes and minutes of the DCMS meeting with the National League his request has been declined on the basis that the length of time it would take for various people to collate the information would exceed the cost limitation placed on public information requests. https://mobile.twitter.com/Ollie_Baylis ... 7150796810

Just what don't the DCMS want the public to see I wonder

Charles Dickens

Post by Charles Dickens » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:54 pm

The season is nearly over so a practical decision well supported by the majority of Clubs. Next season will see the return of most spectators and more normal times.

Dom Sterlings Left Leg

Post by Dom Sterlings Left Leg » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:31 am

If there will be no further grants and by all accounts we do not wish to take on a dcms backed loan it would be interesting to know how we propose to fund the second half of the season?

Any statement likely in the next 6 months?

bordon shot

Post by bordon shot » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:14 am

Dom Sterlings Left Leg wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:31 am
If there will be no further grants and by all accounts we do not wish to take on a dcms backed loan it would be interesting to know how we propose to fund the second half of the season?

Any statement likely in the next 6 months?

As supporters, we should all pick that baton up. Paying for the streaming service, subscribing to “in with a shot” for those that haven’t done so. All positive ways of helping the club through the period we are trying to get through.

If it helps the club to avoid taking out unwanted loans, that would put us in a good starting place once we are through this pandemic

EastbankAndy

Post by EastbankAndy » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:12 am

Charles Dickens wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:54 pm
The season is nearly over so a practical decision well supported by the majority of Clubs. Next season will see the return of most spectators and more normal times.
Nearly over? We’re only just past halfway through and some teams haven’t played half their fixtures yet.....However here’s hoping next season we will be back to some form of normality