Sportsman’s FC Reserves 1989-1990

A Shot from Wales
Sportsman’s FC Reserves 1989-1990

Post by A Shot from Wales » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:22 pm

One of the many downsides to the pandemic has been my wife’s constant observation that, ‘given you are spending more time at home, you can sort out the library, and start clearing out some of your Aldershot junk’ - I would prefer to describe the boxes contents as possible additions to my Shots archive.

Well, today I did spend a couple of hours in an attempt to appease my good lady.

In one big box I came across loads of stuff that I purchased at auction just after the club went bust in 1992. And in the box I came across five really nice black and white photos (10x8) of the Sportsman’s FC Reserves from the 1989/90 season. Four great action photos and one of the team captain getting his boots on in the car park!

The match photos are all from a Hants Junior A Cup match v Churchillians.

The photos don’t fall within my Aldershot FC collecting area and I would like them to find a good home.

I have the captain’s name and one of the featured players - I don’t know them. But if anyone has any information about what was our supporters club side from more than 30 years ago, together with any player contacts (perhaps it is you) please contact me (PM) as I would like to send the photos to someone who played in the game/team (and of course all FOC).

If I can’t locate any of the players I will drop the photos into our programme shop when life returns to normal!

Northcampshot
Re: Sportsman’s FC Reserves 1989-1990

Post by Northcampshot » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:16 am

Blimy. Not linked to what you are saying but wasn't it Churchllians that had all those players sent off back in the day. Can't remember who they were playing though.

I remember playing for the Thatched Cottage against the Sportsmans Club they were a decent side, but it was back in the 80's. You brought back a whole lot of memories there, so thanks for your post.

supershots

Post by supershots » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:13 am

A Shot from Wales wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:22 pm
One of the many downsides to the pandemic has been my wife’s constant observation that, ‘given you are spending more time at home, you can sort out the library, and start clearing out some of your Aldershot junk’ - I would prefer to describe the boxes contents as possible additions to my Shots archive.

Well, today I did spend a couple of hours in an attempt to appease my good lady.

In one big box I came across loads of stuff that I purchased at auction just after the club went bust in 1992. And in the box I came across five really nice black and white photos (10x8) of the Sportsman’s FC Reserves from the 1989/90 season. Four great action photos and one of the team captain getting his boots on in the car park!

The match photos are all from a Hants Junior A Cup match v Churchillians.

The photos don’t fall within my Aldershot FC collecting area and I would like them to find a good home.

I have the captain’s name and one of the featured players - I don’t know them. But if anyone has any information about what was our supporters club side from more than 30 years ago, together with any player contacts (perhaps it is you) please contact me (PM) as I would like to send the photos to someone who played in the game/team (and of course all FOC).

If I can’t locate any of the players I will drop the photos into our programme shop when life returns to normal!
I have sent a message but not sure if I got it right?

A Shot from Wales

Post by A Shot from Wales » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:49 am

supershots....
Sorry it hasn’t landed!

Mytchett shot

Post by Mytchett shot » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:58 am

I used to play for Sportsman’s around that time with a few other Shots supporters

supershots

Post by supershots » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:15 am

A Shot from Wales wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:49 am
supershots....
Sorry it hasn’t landed!
Sorry I do not seem to be able to get messages to
work, I played for the supporters club around that time, and I was secretary so I may be able to name them.

SHOTS8BARROW2

Post by SHOTS8BARROW2 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:33 pm

Sportsman's Club FC (Sunday & Saturday Sides)
Hi A Shot from Wales
Any chance of having the Photos?
I think the Car Park Player Photo will probably B Gary Lewis (Brother of Terry Lewis ex AFC 1926 Chairman)
I (Robert/Joe Young) started the original Sportsmanship Club Sunday League Team (Terry Lewis played 4 Us) and was Player Manager.
We were a make up Shots Supporters/Members/Friends
Dave Smith (Where R U my old Friend) took over the Sunday Side & Started a Saturday Team as well and took it all 2 another level
The Saturday Team was vey successful and rose to near the top of the Senior League
The 'Old' Sportsmanship Club was run by AFC with John Crabtree as an early live in Manager
Like all the Owned Properties (Houses), Promotions office & Sportsmans Club they were
Either sold (players houses over the years) or were financially relinquished
I love your old articles & Stories they always take me down memory lane
The Trust started a team last year but I think Covid KO their first season
When I see the photos I should B able 2 name players
Brings back the great memories (& stories 2 B Told...) the Football Club have given over the Yeats from my first game in 1963 Shots 8 Barrow 2
Really looking Forwatd 2 the new Staium in 2026 celebrating 100 years of The Shots in 1 form or another
Up the Shots

A Shot from Wales

Post by A Shot from Wales » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:58 pm

Gosh....an easy tidy up job becomes a real task! From the responses it seems that Mychett Shot, supershots and Shots8Barrow2 should be able to get the photos to their proper homes.

Indeed it is Gary Lewis, and the other name that I do have is full back Chris Ball.

If one of the three above would like to send me a PM with their contact details I will send the photos off on the understanding that you work together to get them distributed ok.

SHOTS8BARROW2

Post by SHOTS8BARROW2 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:21 pm

Hi A Shot From Wales
I think Supershots may B referring to the ‘Supporters Club’ Team independently formed a few years later in the Farnborough Sunday League (Dereck ? Graham B?)
We (Sportsman’s Club) played them in a end of season friendly 5-0 at Redan Road
(Redan Road was our home ground and was found 2 B ‘Radioactive’ years later)
Please can U send 2 Me & I will do some tracing
Mychett Shot - We probably know each other 👍
Pretty please A Shot From Wales let me know if U want 2 sell any memorabilia
(Mike Cosway -Secretary) was my best Man & Bob Leckie (Promotions ) a good friend
Great Characters in the Shots Teams - Have a read of Neil Warnock’s Book & Big Jack 🙈
Will pm my address etc
Up the Shots

lowerbourneshot

Post by lowerbourneshot » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:42 pm

SHOTS8BARROW2 wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:21 pm
Hi A Shot From Wales
I think Supershots may B referring to the ‘Supporters Club’ Team independently formed a few years later in the Farnborough Sunday League (Dereck ? Graham B?)
(Mike Cosway -Secretary) was my best Man & Bob Leckie (Promotions ) a good friend
Great Characters in the Shots Teams - Have a read of Neil Warnock’s Book & Big Jack 🙈
Will pm my address etc
Up the Shots
You know Mychett shot very well

Birdman

Post by Birdman » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:15 pm

SHOTS8BARROW2 wrote:
Hi A Shot From Wales

Will pm my address etc
Up the Shots
Ordnance Road, 8-2, not Redan Road. It was due to be the club’s training ground and I believe that the club fenced it off. Then that contamination was found and that was that.
Me and me mates used to have kickabouts on there quite frequently. It hasn’t affected me in any way. Oh no. 🤪 🦧 🦥

lowerbourneshot

Post by lowerbourneshot » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:44 pm

Birdman wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:15 pm
SHOTS8BARROW2 wrote:
Hi A Shot From Wales

Will pm my address etc
Up the Shots
Ordnance Road, 8-2, not Redan Road. It was due to be the club’s training ground and I believe that the club fenced it off. Then that contamination was found and that was that.
Me and me mates used to have kickabouts on there quite frequently. It hasn’t affected me in any way. Oh no. 🤪 🦧 🦥
I played on that in a friendly v the sportsmans on a sunday . Ian Mac played for us sssssshhhhh. 2 minutes into the game a sportsmans player went straight through Macca who replied feckin hell i'm playing tuesday :lol: . the game didn't finish due to a broken leg .

Bob

Post by Bob » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:12 pm

I played at Newport’s old ground somerton park for the supporters club in 1992, anyone else on here play that day?

James Frazer

Post by James Frazer » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:47 am

lowerbourneshot wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:44 pm
Birdman wrote:
SHOTS8BARROW2 wrote:
Hi A Shot From Wales

Will pm my address etc
Up the Shots
I played on that in a friendly v the sportsmans on a sunday . Ian Mac played for us sssssshhhhh. 2 minutes into the game a sportsmans player went straight through Macca who replied feckin hell i'm playing tuesday :lol: . the game didn't finish due to a broken leg .
I recall that the broken leg was suffered by Tommy Graham, who later went on to manage the Sportsman's Club for a while.

lowerbourneshot

Post by lowerbourneshot » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:16 pm

James Frazer wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:47 am
lowerbourneshot wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:44 pm
Birdman wrote:

I recall that the broken leg was suffered by Tommy Graham, who later went on to manage the Sportsman's Club for a while.
Yes it was Tommy ,remember it took the ambulance along time to get there and move him.