Shots Away Day Memories (lost grounds)

Ian Rust
Shots Away Day Memories (lost grounds)

Post by Ian Rust » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:59 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07__EgstYus

As a Shots fan since the mid-70’s I visited most of these now derelict or forgotten grounds, including the non-league ones, and so will have many posters on this board.

Fuggletim
Re: Shots Away Day Memories (lost grounds)

Post by Fuggletim » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:04 am

I don't do many "Away" games nowadays; actually at this exact moment, I don't do ANY games! However I always had a soft spot for Wokingham Town as I saw it for many years on my trips to and from Reading (sorry to mention the R word) working on the trains. I think for a while, apart from football, they used to do "Dog" racing on a makeshift track on a Friday night!

I remember one game we played there when a train came to a stop at the Signal by the ground, and seemingly the entire crowd chanting for a minute or two to the Driver "Guess who got for free!" He responded by giving a huge blast on the two tone horn when he pulled away!

Now a housing estate, I can still imagine the ground when I go past, and up until about 8 or 9 x years ago a small yellow weather beaten sign could still be seen on a fence by the road saying "Wokingham Town FC Isthimian League" long after the ground had gone.

CH

Post by CH » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:45 am

Some proper old grounds there.... and a few more to add since that video was produced (underhill, bootham crescent)

Most were a total dump, but the problem is, all the best grounds are!

lowerbourneshot

Post by lowerbourneshot » Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:26 pm

Did most of them except Stand ,Edgeware ,Penrith and Stenhousemuir [it wasn't Brockville Falkirk which i did do].

Old Bob

Post by Old Bob » Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:43 pm

WTF is Stand Athletic doing in there?

Awful choice of "music".

Wrexham Park, Slough should be Wexham Park. I remember Mary Sweet being taken ill in the stand at Wexham Park. Sadly, she passed away a short time afterwards. It would have been the last time she saw the Shots.

I also remember chatting to Aaron McLean the last time we played Hendon at Claremont Road. Terry Brown had given him the night off as we had already won promotion to the Conference, and Aaron sat in the stand for a while. We won 3-1. Nick Roddis, Stafford Browne and Steve Perkins scored our goals and Lee Endersby was in the Hendon side.

A few stonking grounds not included are Walthamstow Avenue's Green Pond Road, Romford's cavernous Brooklands and Hillingdon Borough's Leas Stadium. I suppose they were left out because all traces on the ground would probably have disappeared when this video was made.

There's a great video of the crowd at Green Pond Road at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLfHW9uhYac. You don't see any football, just the crowd!

I should write stuff like this more often, We've scored another couple of goals while I've been tapping away 8)