Mail on Sunday article

Birdman
Mail on Sunday article

Post by Birdman » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:07 am

I started to read this article mainly because Aldershot was mentioned in the first paragraph. Quite moving in its way and a good deal of personal emotion in it :- https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... ns-us.html

Richard Petty
Re: Mail on Sunday article

Post by Richard Petty » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:32 am

Glad you posted that Birdman, it was a good read.

I know what he means about the smell, the one for me is Hot Dogs and Onions, whenever I smell hot dogs and onions (the boiled sausage type not the fried sausage) that takes me back to my dad taking me to my first game at Chelsea in 1966 when I was 7 years old and had pestered to go after getting into football because of the World Cup. He got me a hot dog when we arrived from the one of the carts that used to round the front of the terrace and I am sure that was the first hot dog that I had ever had.

The game was against Arsenal and we won though I cant remember what the actual score was (challenge For Statto, it was still warm so would be early part of 66/67 season) I was hooked then and went to most home games after that though not for long with my dad as he wasn't a great football fan so he was happy to let me go with my friends from school who had dads that did want to go. Funnily enough through my interest my mother became much more of a football fan than my dad and in later years after I moved out of London to Farnborough whenever she visited me she always wanted to come with me to watch Aldershot. She even had a favourite Shots player Aaron McLean. Happy days......

Fuggletim

Post by Fuggletim » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:33 am

Good article and I think will resonate with many of us. I had started watching the Shots just a couple of weeks earlier in March 1979 and that team were, in my opinion, the benchmark to what all Aldershot teams should be. I never did understand why Andy Needham always got so much stick though. Does anyone remember?

My Dad had followed Luton Town when he had been younger but never really went to matches by the time I was born. My Grandfather used to take me to go and watch Shottermill FC or Hammer Utd around Haslemere and it was only when I was in my mid teens that I started going to watch the Shots.

Ironically it was me who started to take my Dad to football and not the other way round and he became a regular supporter after the club reformed in 1992 and he continued to come along until about 2008 when unfortunately his health started to decline.

Oh well, time moves on for us all.

Turnkey

Post by Turnkey » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:50 am

It is an excellent piece, agreed. But for me, rather than tugging at heartstrings pieces like this, for a man who has made reputation and career as a respected writer on the Premier League, he perhaps should look back a bit more often and write a little more on the lower league football he claims such an attachment with. All the ‘big’ writers do it, Henry Winter particularly adept, when one of the ‘minnows’ draws a PL big fish. But after it’s over, it’s back to the big time and the little leagues return to the shadows. My feeling is this. If these writers highlighted a little more that football exists outside the PL, Sky and BT Sports, then maybe lower league football wouldn’t quite be in the state it is.

Anon E Mouse

Post by Anon E Mouse » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:56 am

Wow. That bought a tear to my eye.
The fabric of football and what it means to so many. I still cant believe we pay fairly average players £300,000 a week and yet the football described in this article hangs by a thread.

Some people often say I'm stuck in the past especially with my desire to stay at the Rec, but read the article and see why it's so important to me. It's not all about the actual football. That is only a part of it. It's about the feeling, the memories and yes even the smells.

My Dad introduced me to the Shots in 1975 and then took me a few more times but then it was just me and my best bud through the 80's. Happily Dad returned in 1992 and become a bigger fan than me over the last 29 years and still watches to this day.

Lets hope we can survive the next 3 months so we have many more years to enjoy the whole experience from the pre match pub to the walk to the ground to the friendly faces to the tradition.

Wanderer

Post by Wanderer » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:15 pm

The Stockport game that night was a really good game played in pouring rain throughout. I had travelled up on my own to the game by train. The previous week we had played at Darlington and I met an Aldershot supporter who passed on to me a complimentary ticket, so I arrived early enough to maybe get another freebee, but it was really difficult to hide from the rain. The team coach arrived but there were no others Shots fans around and the players entered and there were no signs of any freebees that night. In fact I didn't see any other Shots fan all evening. After the game it was a soaking walk back to Stockport Station to catch a train to Crewe from where I caught the 23:55 to Euston, spent a couple of hours sleeping around Euston (it was indoors so warmer) before making my way to Waterloo and the first train home.
Too old to do something like that nowadays.

Durham Shot

Post by Durham Shot » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:05 pm

Great article by Oliver Holt. Ironic that on the weekend he wrote this article Stockport’s opponents were again The Shots. I never knew his mother was Emily Bishop from Coronation Street!

scorp

Post by scorp » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:39 pm

"...hooked by ... the dim glare of Division Four floodlights in the spring evening rain."

An evocative line.

And a great article.

Crowthorne

Post by Crowthorne » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:17 pm

Durham Shot wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:05 pm
Great article by Oliver Holt. Ironic that on the weekend he wrote this article Stockport’s opponents were again The Shots. I never knew his mother was Emily Bishop from Coronation Street!
Emily Bishop, a great character when Coronation Street was worth watching.

Old Bob

Post by Old Bob » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:06 pm

Birdman wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:07 am
I started to read this article mainly because Aldershot was mentioned in the first paragraph. Quite moving in its way and a good deal of personal emotion in it :- https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... ns-us.html
All those "football is a business" types should read this carefully and reflect. It encapsulates exactly why football is not a business like any other.

Old Bob

Post by Old Bob » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:13 pm

Turnkey wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:50 am
It is an excellent piece, agreed. But for me, rather than tugging at heartstrings pieces like this, for a man who has made reputation and career as a respected writer on the Premier League, he perhaps should look back a bit more often and write a little more on the lower league football he claims such an attachment with.
Good point, TK, but I guess like many of us are (or were), he is a wage slave. He has to write about what the Mail want. If he went off piste rabbiting on about too much about Chorley, Skelmersdale United and Altrincham, he'd no doubt get the boot.

Old Bob

Post by Old Bob » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:29 pm

Anon E Mouse wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:56 am
I still cant believe we pay fairly average players £300,000 a week and yet the football described in this article hangs by a thread.
There are only four players in the Premier League earning £300k per week or more, Magister Mus. They are Rahim Sterling, Kevin de Bruyne, David de Gea and Gareth Bale. I don't think any of these can be remotely described as "fairly average".

Pretty much anyone earning a living in the Premier League is by definition a spectacularly talented footballer.

Somerset Shot

Post by Somerset Shot » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:39 pm

Fuggletim wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:33 am
Good article and I think will resonate with many of us. I had started watching the Shots just a couple of weeks earlier in March 1979 and that team were, in my opinion, the benchmark to what all Aldershot teams should be. I never did understand why Andy Needham always got so much stick though. Does anyone remember?

My Dad had followed Luton Town when he had been younger but never really went to matches by the time I was born. My Grandfather used to take me to go and watch Shottermill FC or Hammer Utd around Haslemere and it was only when I was in my mid teens that I started going to watch the Shots.

Ironically it was me who started to take my Dad to football and not the other way round and he became a regular supporter after the club reformed in 1992 and he continued to come along until about 2008 when unfortunately his health started to decline.

Oh well, time moves on for us all.
I think Andy Needham struggled to get popular support at the time because he was not particularly prolific in front of goal despite being the number 9. He was also playing in a team with big characters and decent players. I would say that, looking back, Dungworth would not have achieved what he did with us without Needham quietly engineering goal scoring opportunities.

That 78/79 team was my favourite throughout the AFC years...walking into the ground hearing the team read out out over Radio Shots; Johnson, Edwards, Wooler, Dixon, Youlden, Jopling, Crosby, Brodie, Needham, Dungworth, McGregor.

Fuggletim

Post by Fuggletim » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:51 pm

Thanks Somerset 🙂

Anon E Mouse

Post by Anon E Mouse » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:24 am

Old Bob wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:29 pm
Anon E Mouse wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:56 am
I still cant believe we pay fairly average players £300,000 a week and yet the football described in this article hangs by a thread.
There are only four players in the Premier League earning £300k per week or more, Magister Mus. They are Rahim Sterling, Kevin de Bruyne, David de Gea and Gareth Bale. I don't think any of these can be remotely described as "fairly average".

Pretty much anyone earning a living in the Premier League is by definition a spectacularly talented footballer.
Well you get what I mean. A fews weeks pay and that level and football at our level would be secure.

Not that I watch MOTD much but there are plenty of players on show that are less than spectacularly talented.