Pitch size

EastbankAndy
Pitch size

Post by EastbankAndy » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:44 am

Totally random but can we please put the pitch back to its original size? It may help our flowing football. Are there any reasons we can’t ? I can’t remember the original reason for reducing its size. I’m sure someone on here will put me right 🤪👍

anonymouse
Re: Pitch size

Post by anonymouse » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:28 am

Andy, the pitch size has remained constant for a number of years now. The pitch was shortened during Holdsworth era (eastbank end) to allow for a bigger off pitch warm up area.
Some 5 or 6 years ago we narrowed the width of the pitch by 1 metre each side this was to allow us to turn the mowers easily as the slope on the south stand side was getting to dangerous when we were cutting side to side.
To revert back to the original sizes would also mean moving and realigning the sprinkler system which would be a very costly exercise.
Last edited by anonymouse on Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

stevieshot

Post by stevieshot » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:31 am

I think when I 1st started supporting the Shots 1968
We had the biggest pitch in the league.

chimpster99

Post by chimpster99 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:12 pm

I always thought we were second for size behind Maine Road. The game has changed a bit now, but I can remember certain teams coming here in the old days and really struggling with the width, giving players like McGregor and Brodie acres of space.

Birdman

Post by Birdman » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:53 pm

chimpster99 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:12 pm
I always thought we were second for size behind Maine Road. The game has changed a bit now, but I can remember certain teams coming here in the old days and really struggling with the width, giving players like McGregor and Brodie acres of space.
Re Murray Brodie, we did quite well out of Joe Joplin’s transfer to Leicester. JJ moved for a fee said to have been £30k plus Brodie and Jimmy Burt joining us. From memory, Burt played at lb/lh and I always remember a screamer of a goal that he scored from about 25yds out in a PSF against Pompey down at the HSE. Sadly, he didn’t stay that long and I can’t (at the moment) find out what happened to him after he left.
JJ rejoined us 4 years later and he and Brodie became club legends. Happy days. :D

Wanderer

Post by Wanderer » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:09 pm

Jimmy Burt broke his leg at Brentford I believe, which restricted his playing days with us. He left for Northampton Town and Rochdale before dropping into non-league with Enderby Town.

EastbankAndy

Post by EastbankAndy » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:44 pm

anonymouse wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:28 am
Andy, the pitch size has remained constant for a number of years now. The pitch was shortened during Holdsworth era (eastbank end) to allow for a bigger off pitch warm up area.
Some 5 or 6 years ago we narrowed the width of the pitch by 1 metre each side this was to allow us to turn the mowers easily as the slope on the south stand side was getting to dangerous when we were cutting side to side.
To revert back to the original sizes would also mean moving and realigning the sprinkler system which would be a very costly exercise.
Reduced in width so you can turn the mowers around safely??? Did we not think to buy different Mowers??😂😂

Shame about the sprinklers. Thanks very much for the explanation. I presume you’re one of the volunteers that look after the ground / pitch? If so, can I ask what the issue is with certain areas of the pitch now? I’ve never seen it so rough. That’s not a dig at anyone, I’m presuming it’s to do with reduced maintenance etc etc

anonymouse

Post by anonymouse » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:43 pm

EastbankAndy wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:44 pm
anonymouse wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:28 am
Reduced in width so you can turn the mowers around safely??? Did we not think to buy different Mowers??😂😂

Shame about the sprinklers. Thanks very much for the explanation. I presume you’re one of the volunteers that look after the ground / pitch? If so, can I ask what the issue is with certain areas of the pitch now? I’ve never seen it so rough. That’s not a dig at anyone, I’m presuming it’s to do with reduced maintenance etc etc
The mowers we use 32" wide and try hold them on a wet slippery slope.

The other answer to your post I answered in another thread.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=52212&sid=0431874e3 ... 8fdb50c624

Birdman

Post by Birdman » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:49 pm

Having used those mowers myself a few times (albeit not since Colin and his crew took over from Nunny) I can vouch for the effort needed to turn and control them on a damp slope (let alone a wet one). The slope may not look steep from the terraces or the seats but it is noticeable when using a sit-on mower.

A Shot from Wales

Post by A Shot from Wales » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:10 pm

Belle Vue, Doncaster Rovers was the biggest in the UK...until the ground was demolished in 2007.

shotsboy66

Post by shotsboy66 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:22 pm

chimpster99 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:12 pm
If memory serves, the three largest pitches in the Football League were Maine Road, Belle Vue (Doncaster) & the Rec...not too sure in what order though.

This was back in the 70s mind..Maine Road always looked a lovely surface- If I had to guess I`d say that would be the first for size. Pretty certain that Aldershot & Doncaster followed not far behind

Birdman

Post by Birdman » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:28 pm

From Wiki :- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belle_Vue_(Doncaster) (pitch size in the first section)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maine_Road (pitch size about halfway down).

chimpster99

Post by chimpster99 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:21 pm

The Rec used to be 117 x 76 yards, so it was plenty bigger than Belle Vue. Donny’s claim to having the biggest pitch looks very questionable!!

80fc

Post by 80fc » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:50 pm

chimpster99 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:21 pm
The Rec used to be 117 x 76 yards, so it was plenty bigger than Belle Vue. Donny’s claim to having the biggest pitch looks very questionable!!
I thought we were second only to Hampden Park in terms of pitch size

Wanderer

Post by Wanderer » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:50 pm

chimpster99 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:21 pm
Belle Vue was 119 x 79 yards until 1980 when Billy Bremner, the manager at the time had it reduced.