The big Match revisited 1974

Bob
Posts: 866
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:58 pm
Re: The big Match revisited 1974

Post by Bob » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:30 pm

hepcat wrote: ↑
Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:27 pm
Kevin Carlin wrote: ↑
Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:02 am
Bob wrote: ↑
Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:44 am
Although it probably did happen you would have had a hell of a lot less cheating in those days and hardly any foreigners who are only here because of money πŸ’° of course!
Cheating did go on as Franny Lee used to enjoy a dive to win penalties, alot of foreign players have also brought some quality to the beautiful game as well :wink:
There's no comparison to the cheating today-watch TBMR and count how many penalties AREN'T given then look at the mass of penalties given today for obvious diving, . I'd say that foreign footballers-beyond undoubted skill-have brought cheating to a new level-I would cynically suggest that a factor in considering to pay a fortune for-say-Naymer- is how many faux penalties they can get a season as well as the rest !!
I can't stand football today-it's about as meaningless as a FIFA video game, Really enjoy the old games -would only watch MOTD now if they did a MOTD revisited !!
As ever can’t disagree with you the cat 🐈

Shots1954
Posts: 820
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:31 pm
Re: The big Match revisited 1974

Post by Shots1954 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:53 pm

Anon E Mouse wrote: ↑
Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:50 am
The programme is currently on 1979 and is on ITV 3 mid Saturday morning. Series link. You won't be disappointed.
Just checked and set recording on series link and it's ITV 4!

Anon E Mouse
Posts: 3949
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:29 pm
Re: The big Match revisited 1974

Post by Anon E Mouse » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:43 pm

Shots1954 wrote: ↑
Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:53 pm
Anon E Mouse wrote: ↑
Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:50 am
The programme is currently on 1979 and is on ITV 3 mid Saturday morning. Series link. You won't be disappointed.
Just checked and set recording on series link and it's ITV 4!
Yes apologies it is ITV 4.
Chelsea v Swansea Div 2
Newcastle v QPR
Liverpool v Palace
This week....
I like the fact they often dip down Divisions too. They existed in those days.

Crowthorne
Posts: 945
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:18 pm
Re: The big Match revisited 1974

Post by Crowthorne » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:15 am

Great football days the 70s, top flight was affordable for the working man, not stupidly expensive to subsidise prima Donna's and their mansions and private jets. I remember when I was at school, a load of QPR players when they were a decent team living in normal semi detached houses in Crowthorne.
It wasn't just football we had proper telly, like The Sweeney and The Protectors not a load of American nonsense.
The only downside was Socialist governments.

Bob
Posts: 866
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:58 pm
Re: The big Match revisited 1974

Post by Bob » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:54 pm

I will always look fondly at the late 70’s early 80’s , my earliest football memories, looked forward to MOTD, now every game is live and by the time MOTD is on we would have seen the premier league goals about 400 times during the day!

Statto
Posts: 484
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:05 pm
Location: Aldershot
Re: The big Match revisited 1974

Post by Statto » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:50 pm

Earlier today, I watched the episode from the opening day of the 1976-77 season, which included Ipswich v Tottenham. The home side included Brian Talbot and 19-year-old(!) Keith Bertschin, who was one of the goalscorers.

I also watched an episode from October 1976 that featured:

Main match - Brighton v Palace (Division 3) watched by 27,000 people!

Highlights - Southampton v Fulham (Division 2). The Fulham side side contained Ernie Howe, George Best, Rodney Marsh, Bobby Moore and Terry Bullivant.

Brief highlights - Leeds v Man United (Division 1). Can you imagine a third tier game being given more coverage than this one nowadays?

They also had a very brief interview with Terry Mancini, who had recently dropped down from Division 1 Arsenal to play in Division 4 with Aldershot FC.

Some of the tackling in the above games would have resulted in several red cards in today's ridiculously sanitised version of the game!

Somerset Shot
Posts: 207
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:49 pm
Location: Somerset
Re: The big Match revisited 1974

Post by Somerset Shot » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:31 pm

Crowthorne wrote: ↑
Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:15 am
Great football days the 70s, top flight was affordable for the working man, not stupidly expensive to subsidise prima Donna's and their mansions and private jets. I remember when I was at school, a load of QPR players when they were a decent team living in normal semi detached houses in Crowthorne.
It wasn't just football we had proper telly, like The Sweeney and The Protectors not a load of American nonsense.
The only downside was Socialist governments.
Interesting. Don’t like socialist governments. Don’t like wealth, mansions and private jets.

Bob
Posts: 866
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:58 pm
Re: The big Match revisited 1974

Post by Bob » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:53 pm

Statto wrote: ↑
Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:50 pm
Earlier today, I watched the episode from the opening day of the 1976-77 season, which included Ipswich v Tottenham. The home side included Brian Talbot and 19-year-old(!) Keith Bertschin, who was one of the goalscorers.

I also watched an episode from October 1976 that featured:

Main match - Brighton v Palace (Division 3) watched by 27,000 people!

Highlights - Southampton v Fulham (Division 2). The Fulham side side contained Ernie Howe, George Best, Rodney Marsh, Bobby Moore and Terry Bullivant.

Brief highlights - Leeds v Man United (Division 1). Can you imagine a third tier game being given more coverage than this one nowadays?

They also had a very brief interview with Terry Mancini, who had recently dropped down from Division 1 Arsenal to play in Division 4 with Aldershot FC.

Some of the tackling in the above games would have resulted in several red cards in today's ridiculously sanitised version of the game!
Amazing to think now that Ipswich finished 3 rd in 1980 which included beating 2nd place Manchester United 6-0 and missed 3 penalties, 2nd in 1981 and 2nd in 1982 then slowly faded away!

supershots
Posts: 348
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:08 am
Location: Frimley green
Re: The big Match revisited 1974

Post by supershots » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:05 am

I remember going with Ian Read's group away to Darlington by train and rushing back to watch MotD in the evening. Do recall the whole group running through the underground to make the connection. Don't think I would bother nowadays, come to think of it I probably could not run that far!

Statto
Posts: 484
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:05 pm
Location: Aldershot
Re: The big Match revisited 1974

Post by Statto » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:22 pm

Bob wrote: ↑
Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:53 pm
Statto wrote: ↑
Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:50 pm
Earlier today, I watched the episode from the opening day of the 1976-77 season, which included Ipswich v Tottenham. The home side included Brian Talbot and 19-year-old(!) Keith Bertschin, who was one of the goalscorers.

I also watched an episode from October 1976 that featured:

Main match - Brighton v Palace (Division 3) watched by 27,000 people!

Highlights - Southampton v Fulham (Division 2). The Fulham side side contained Ernie Howe, George Best, Rodney Marsh, Bobby Moore and Terry Bullivant.

Brief highlights - Leeds v Man United (Division 1). Can you imagine a third tier game being given more coverage than this one nowadays?

They also had a very brief interview with Terry Mancini, who had recently dropped down from Division 1 Arsenal to play in Division 4 with Aldershot FC.

Some of the tackling in the above games would have resulted in several red cards in today's ridiculously sanitised version of the game!
Amazing to think now that Ipswich finished 3 rd in 1980 which included beating 2nd place Manchester United 6-0 and missed 3 penalties, 2nd in 1981 and 2nd in 1982 then slowly faded away!
Spot on, Bob! 8)

Anon E Mouse
Posts: 3949
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:29 pm
Re: The big Match revisited 1974

Post by Anon E Mouse » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:27 am

Anon E Mouse wrote: ↑
Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:43 pm
Shots1954 wrote: ↑
Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:53 pm
Anon E Mouse wrote: ↑
Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:50 am
The programme is currently on 1979 and is on ITV 3 mid Saturday morning. Series link. You won't be disappointed.
Just checked and set recording on series link and it's ITV 4!
Yes apologies it is ITV 4.
Chelsea v Swansea Div 2
Newcastle v QPR
Liverpool v Palace
This week....
I like the fact they often dip down Divisions too. They existed in those days.
Won't spoil it but very interesting Shots connection to the Chelsea v Swansea game. Almost incredible in fact :)


Post Reply