And after the lengthy drum roll .....

Old Bob
Re: And after the lengthy drum roll .....

Post by Old Bob »

Richard Petty wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:05 pm Mind you to be fair the way the English language is evolving a lot of what many would consider "Well known" expressions are disappearing from general use ...
When I was lad, people would say "When all is said and done". Now it's "At the end of the day" ... used liberally, sometimes three or four times in two sentences.

People would say "He said" and "She said". Now it's "He was like ..." and "She was like ...".

We would answer questions with "Yes". Now it's "100%".

We used to say something was "Very good". Now it's "Super good".

And these days, every statement has to start "You know what?" and finish "Innit".

Innit.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Yeah no
DaveC

Post by DaveC »

Agree with Old Bob about the 100% thing, or the equally infuriating "absolutely".
Old Bob

Post by Old Bob »

DaveC wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:19 pm Agree with Old Bob about the 100% thing, or the equally infuriating "absolutely".
Absolutely, Dave!
Sean Chambers

Post by Sean Chambers »

As a positive person by nature these signings have me looking forward to the new season, it will be interesting to see how we start the season as I really think we need a positive start especially at home after last season’s diabolical form.
With getting so many new players into the building we can really start pre season in with a wee bit of a buzz around the place.
We have signed some decent players and they seem to have the right attitude which is good.
Roll on August 6th when the real business starts.
Statto

Post by Statto »

Bob wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:44 pmYeah no
Yes, that's bloody annoying too, Bob :o
Statto

Post by Statto »

DaveC wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:19 pm Agree with Old Bob about the 100% thing, or the equally infuriating "absolutely".
+1 :evil:
Bob

Post by Bob »

Statto wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:36 pm
Bob wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:44 pmYeah no
Yes, that's bloody annoying too, Bob :o
Indeed Pete, innit
Graham Stovold

Post by Graham Stovold »

“ The elephant in the room” is one that gets my goat 😂😂😂😂
HarryTom

Post by HarryTom »

Nice to see we are top and Woeking in the bottom four !! If only it could last !
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Old Bob wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:15 pm
Richard Petty wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:05 pm Mind you to be fair the way the English language is evolving a lot of what many would consider "Well known" expressions are disappearing from general use ...
When I was lad, people would say "When all is said and done". Now it's "At the end of the day" ... used liberally, sometimes three or four times in two sentences.

People would say "He said" and "She said". Now it's "He was like ..." and "She was like ...".

And these days, every statement has to start "You know what?" and finish "Innit".

Innit.
I still loathe the management speak- things like "Cascade this to your team" "We're encountering tremendous synergy on the customer interface " "I've just read your script" when you've sent a letter/email. They usually crumble when you ask them what they mean or ask if they'd like an answer with loads of big words starting with C . I'm sure hacks like the awful Barney Ronay 0f the Guardian (the sanctimonious wing of the Tory party) just get a dictionary out and use obscure words that get them in Private Eye's pseuds corner. I used to note all the "Words /expressions we'll all be using" that the papers used to publish as absolutely all of them died a death and were never used at all. Though I'm disappointed we no longer go around saying "It's a Gas" after Mick Jagger's efforts.in the 60's and "Watcher" which we got from "Cider with Rosie" seems to have become extinct after the demise of Whizzer and Chips.(3p every Saturday)
MickeyP

Post by MickeyP »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:37 pm

Innit.
I still loathe the management speak- things like "Cascade this to your team" "We're encountering tremendous synergy on the customer interface " "I've just read your script" when you've sent a letter/email. They usually crumble when you ask them what they mean or ask if they'd like an answer with loads of big words starting with C . I'm sure hacks like the awful Barney Ronay 0f the Guardian (the sanctimonious wing of the Tory party) just get a dictionary out and use obscure words that get them in Private Eye's pseuds corner. I used to note all the "Words /expressions we'll all be using" that the papers used to publish as absolutely all of them died a death and were never used at all. Though I'm disappointed we no longer go around saying "It's a Gas" after Mick Jagger's efforts.in the 60's and "Watcher" which we got from "Cider with Rosie" seems to have become extinct after the demise of Whizzer and Chips.(3p every Saturday)
Somebody used the phrase "opportunity pipeline" on a Teams meeting I was on the other day.
Richard Petty

Post by Richard Petty »

MickeyP wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:54 pm
hepcat wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:37 pm

Innit.
Somebody used the phrase "opportunity pipeline" on a Teams meeting I was on the other day.
A few of my particular pet hates in professional use are:
"We need to change the narrative"
"Take this offline"
"Snackable content"

And just a of the ones that you could hear on the street that to me just seem crazy:
"Ship" if you say " If you say a couple are "Ship" then they you like them as a couple
"GOAT" I just saw this used this morning and had to look it up, the article said "have we seen the last of the GOATS at Wimbledon. It means "Greatest Of All Time.

And a very up to date trending one "GUCCI" which means cool or very good. So using this you could look at say a Louis Vuitton watch that you like and say "That's Gucci" how flippin stupid is that..............
The old saying goes "You can please some of the people some of the time, but you will never please all the people all the time." In fact sometimes it seems impossible to even please some of the people any of the time
Bob

Post by Bob »

Slightly off topic but bloke opposite me is a geordie and speaking to me a few days ago fancies Newcastle to do well in the coming season as if that’s a major surprise, even a cat 🐈 would realise that!
Crowthorne

Post by Crowthorne »

I would love to see Newcastle struggle, horrible club and their fans are one of the most unfriendly. They think they are bigger than they really are, and the accent particularly the womens is nauseating.