Solihull line up

Shots2000
Solihull line up

Post by Shots2000 »

With less than a week now to go how would people line up against Solihull? With limited options in midfield we may need to try something a bit different.

4 2 3 1
Ashby Hammond

Davies Jordan Cordner Harfield

Partington Harris

Amaluzor Amartey Willard

Effiong
karlready
Re: Solihull line up

Post by karlready »

Shots2000 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:16 am With less than a week now to go how would people line up against Solihull? With limited options in midfield we may need to try something a bit different.

4 2 3 1
Ashby Hammond

Partington Harris

Amaluzor Amartey Willard

Effiong
Don’t think so, Partington and Harris will need a lot of help with that line-up. Too many forwards against a very physical free-scoring Solihull. I haven’t got an answer, frankly…
through a glass darkly
CH

Post by CH »

Molesley and TB openly stated that the quality of the players was what was holding us back last season, yet I'm struggling to see where on the pitch we are stronger than last season? Maybe at RB and maybe upfront? But defence and midfield overall look to be missing serious cajoles.

Shots 1-4 Solihull my prediction and the first step into another torrid 9 months.

Really hope I'm wrong.
Shot To Bits

Post by Shot To Bits »

Solihull are largely the same side they were last season.

They have added a couple of quality centre forwards, but we are relatively strong in central defence, and to an extent we can nullify that threat.

They have lost Boyes, a left sided wing back type player who was named in the National League team of the season. If they have one weakness which to date has not been improved it's down their left hand side.

We could have some joy down our right flank in an attacking sense. Davies pushing on in support of Amulamor who will likely start on the right.

Effiong had a lot of joy for Woking last season against Solihull. In 1 game he scored twice, and could have got more.

He will be a handful against largely the same personnel.

If our squad is not enhanced before Saturday, it might be prudent to play with a 3 pronged attack with Amartey included.

Make no mistake we have the armoury to trouble Solihull.

The problem we have is that we are not a possession based team. We don't keep or pass the ball.

We'll have to attack in numbers like we can and take our chances. Press high up the pitch, lots of intensity and pace and power driving forward

When Solihull have the ball they will hurt us. Especially Sbarra from wide areas who has a habit of scoring against us.

This has the potential to be a high scoring game with less emphasis on defending. Solihull have a swarming offense, they get players forward in numbers.

We will have to be positive. Our strength is in attack. Take the game to them. Chase and harry, give them no time on the ball. Just like we did against Crawley. Make them make mistakes.

Ashby-hammond
Davies. Jordan. Cordner. Harfield
Partington Harris Willard
Amulamor Effiong. Amartey
RichShot

Post by RichShot »

Did someone post on shotsweb when he signed that Amartey is banned for the first 3 games due to a red card at the end of last season?
Shots91

Post by Shots91 »

Hammon

Davis Jordan Phillips Hartfield

Partington Cordner
Harris
Amartey willard
Effiong

I know Cordner will be centre back. But I'm just going with if we're not bringing anymore midfielders in then I'd rather put Philips in centre back and move Cordner in front of the back 4 and join Partington as they are both quite physical and they both are quite relaxed on the ball, let them do the rough stuff and let Harris have bit more a freedom role of defending and attacking.
Then have Amartey and willard play off on Effiong. Willard and Amartey are quick, but what they need to do is what they didn't do yesterday is run on to Effiongs flicks. He's got the hight and we got two quick players who need to be smart and play off Effi.
Shots2000

Post by Shots2000 »

karlready wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:31 am
Shots2000 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:16 am With less than a week now to go how would people line up against Solihull? With limited options in midfield we may need to try something a bit different.

4 2 3 1
Ashby Hammond

Partington Harris

Amaluzor Amartey Willard

Effiong
Don’t think so, Partington and Harris will need a lot of help with that line-up. Too many forwards against a very physical free-scoring Solihull. I haven’t got an answer, frankly…

Yeah I’m not sure about the line up I have listed. It’s pretty poor tbh. Can’t believe after those 8 signings we didn’t follow it up with a few quality additions. Got to bring in another midfielder asap
Shot To Bits

Post by Shot To Bits »

I know this flies in the face of our recent home form "achievements ", but playing at home should be a decent advantage.

It's your ground, pitch, and fan base so set up positively. Get the fans behind you, it will lift the players and bother the opposition. It's a new season, new players and a fresh start.

By all means be more circumspect when you play away, but we need to have the mindset that we can get plenty of points, regardless of the opposition when we play at home.

And the way MM has set the team up this year we will have to play to our strengths which is going forward.
redandbluescb

Post by redandbluescb »

RichShot wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:55 am Did someone post on shotsweb when he signed that Amartey is banned for the first 3 games due to a red card at the end of last season?
He was sent off v Fboro in the play off final.
Mick Earls Fan Club

Post by Mick Earls Fan Club »

Luca AH
Davies Cordner Jordan Horsfield
Partington
Harris (or Imran Uche) McQuoid (if not fit Klass)
Amaluzor Effiong Willard

I think Amartey suspended and club not wanting to alert opposition
Weybourne Shot

Post by Weybourne Shot »

The squad looks ill balanced to me with too many in defensive/forward positions and unless there are some very late additions, I think the low numbers in key midfield areas will be very quickly exposed. MM has had all summer to assemble a squad to improve our fortunes, but is the imbalance down to his misjudgement or a pure lack of finance?
and Richard Walden puts the Shots 1-0 up against Man Utd
Shot To Bits

Post by Shot To Bits »

The balance of the squad is likely down to MM's perception of how he wants to play.

When he first came here for a period of time he played a 433 formation.

Bettamer, Ndjoli and Glover up front with Edser, Vennings and Wagstaff in a midfield three.

With a back four of Kinsella, Ox, KLF and Phillips.

He dispensed with that when he realised he didn't have the personnel, and that it was survive at all costs, thus packing defenders and a defensive midfielder into the starting XI.

It was noticeable that TB actually apologised for playing like this, but the players lacked ability or something similar he said rather infamously last season.

Now he's had a chance to rebuild, MM set up 4-1-4-1 against Crawley, which is very similar to the 433 he previously employed.

Both formations are obviously great for playing attacking football, and streaming players forward.

Not so great when you're defending. You're asking your wingmen to defend when it's not their forte. And your offense minded midfielders are not so great going backwards either.

433 or 4141 systems are usually used by teams that keep possession of the ball well. We don't do that. Our possession stats are nearly always worse than the opposition.

We are a bit of an all eggs in 1 basket team. Watch how many passes are strung together whilst in possession- it really isn't many.

And that's my theory why there's a lack of midfielders, MM is largely happy to bypass that area. He doesn't want to pass the ball about. We run with it or chase after it by and large imo.
karlready

Post by karlready »

Oh dear, not lump- ball to Effiong.
I am intrigued by Saturday’s set-up. MM knows the strength of the opposition, and this team is of his recruitment. Acid test, a real reality check.
through a glass darkly
RichShot

Post by RichShot »

Non competitive budget - lump it up to Effiong.
Anyway this is a hoofball league but you need big strong physical players.
If we try and play football we will make many mistakes and give away soft goals.
supershots

Post by supershots »

I think we are Sylla away from a good team, MM should go find Sylla and increase the offer for him and sign him up
He was head and shoulders better than others on the pitch last season. We have given him an offer, he has not taken it, we do not seem to have any info on him signing for anybody now is the one to get him.