O/t Great British Railway Journeys

Zippy
Re: O/t Great British Railway Journeys

Post by Zippy » Sat May 01, 2021 3:20 pm

Marty Feldman's "The Loneliness of the Long Distance Golfer" sketch was filmed at Longmoor, starting at about 2m50s into this video (though its worth watching the whole clip) http://bestgolftutorial.com/marty-feldm ... 2cnQENr-zo

The line of the Longmoor track bed from Oakhanger Halt to Whitehill now forms the Bordon by pass. Heading south Oakhanger Halt was situated on the right hand side just before the traffic lights at the Oakhanger Road junction, the section ends where the line used to go under the A325 but that is now infilled to create a not very round roundabout.

After Longmoor closed there were plans for a heritage centre at the Liss end, with backing from the artist David Shepherd who has owned several locos over the years. Sadly the locals weren't in favour and it never happened. That section of the track bed is now a footpath from the location of Liss Forest Road back to the level crossing at Liss, The old platform and shelter are still in situ at Liss.

Morrissey's Scorcher

Post by Morrissey's Scorcher » Sat May 01, 2021 4:02 pm

Nice off tangent thread, interesting to me as I live not far from the Longmoor Railway track and walk along it often. I assume the tunnel in that Marty Feldman sketch is where the line went under the road (roundabout) at Whitehill:

I picked this up on the old track on one of my walks, a railway track spike, think it would be worth much on eBay :P

By the way the Longmoor Railway line has a starring role in the film Runaway Railway (1966) with Ronnie Barker.
Last edited by Morrissey's Scorcher on Sat May 01, 2021 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Birdman

Post by Birdman » Sat May 01, 2021 4:09 pm

Longmoor military railway was also used in The Great St Trinian’s Train Robbery.

Morrissey's Scorcher

Post by Morrissey's Scorcher » Sat May 01, 2021 4:15 pm

Birdman wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 4:09 pm
Longmoor military railway was also used in The Great St Trinian’s Train Robbery.
Oh yes, the list is endless, two more:

Magnificent Two (1967) Eric and Ernie.
The Lady Vanishes (1935) Alfred Hitchccok.

Birdman

Post by Birdman » Sat May 01, 2021 4:36 pm

I asked google the question ‘Was Aldershot bombed in WW2?’ and within this article there’s an interesting mention of Tongham station :- https://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2people ... 8382.shtml

Zippy

Post by Zippy » Sat May 01, 2021 4:51 pm

Morrissey's Scorcher wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 4:02 pm

By the way the Longmoor Railway line has a starring role in the film Runaway Railway (1966) with Ronnie Barker.
That film was on YouTube for a while last year, removed for copyright reasons. Talking Pictures TV showed it a month or two ago.

I'm not sure if Marty Feldman's tunnel was the A325 bridge or more likely Hopkins Bridge which was a short distance from there.

Another film there is a brief bit in Chitty Chitty Band Bang :D

Richard Petty

Post by Richard Petty » Sat May 01, 2021 5:02 pm

Zippy wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 4:51 pm
Morrissey's Scorcher wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 4:02 pm

That film was on YouTube for a while last year, removed for copyright reasons. Talking Pictures TV showed it a month or two ago.

I'm not sure if Marty Feldman's tunnel was the A325 bridge or more likely Hopkins Bridge which was a short distance from there.

Another film there is a brief bit in Chitty Chitty Band Bang :D
Talking pictures TV is a good channel, they have a lot of good old stuff on there with some very interesting content and some purely fun to watch from a nostalgia point of view

Statto

Post by Statto » Sat May 01, 2021 6:34 pm

Birdman wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:46 pm
Statto wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:32 pm
Fuggletim wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:01 pm

Indeed! I remember it being there and with track still in situ in the mid 1960s although trains had ceased running long before. Think the bridge was still there until about 25 x years ago!

Oddly enough my Daughter lives in Tongham!
Where did the bridge go from/to?
If it’s the one that I think’s being talked about then it was on the stretch of road that runs from the A331 roundabout up to the Hogs Back (Oxenden Road then becoming The Street). The bridge was just before the parade of shops by Tongham crossroads. Looking down from the bridge, there used to be a GPO/BT storage yard where I recall seeing quite a few surplus red phone boxes.
The bridge has now gone and the road levelled out.
Ah, I see. I was wondering what would have happened with the road, but you've addressed that by saying it was levelled out. That now puts a thought in my mind that the bridge wasn't very high, but I'm probably (as usual) talking rubbish.

Statto

Post by Statto » Sat May 01, 2021 6:36 pm

Fuggletim wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:27 pm
Statto wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:32 pm
Fuggletim wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:01 pm

Indeed! I remember it being there and with track still in situ in the mid 1960s although trains had ceased running long before. Think the bridge was still there until about 25 x years ago!

Oddly enough my Daughter lives in Tongham!
Where did the bridge go from/to?
The bridge, as others have said, was on "The Street" and was a simple "up and over" with a pedestrian bridge added on one side in later years (a contemporary example of this type of bridge can be seen on the Midhurst Road over the Railway next to Liphook Station.

If you go past the parade of shops, you can see "Bridge Mews" slightly lower down from the level of "The Street" which is roughly where the track alignment was.

Zippy was mentioning another line into Aldershot. I don't think I have heard of this (in nearby Bordon a narrow gauge railway was originally laid to facilitate the moving of the Army into the town which then expanded to become the "Standard" gauge Longmoor Military Railway) , but it may have been the case. Certainly there was a short branch from Tongham which served Aldershot Gas Works. It vanished long, long ago but I seem to recall there was some evidence of an old level crossing on the A323 in the vicinity of the old Bakers Arms pub when I was a kid in the 1960's. Where "Bluff Cove" is in Aldershot now (off Ordnance Road), there were a number of platforms for troop trains which were demolished when the Army married quarters were built.

Some track still exists alongside North Lane and these connected with the mainline between Aldershot and Ash Vale. This spur was known as Government Siding and they were still active up to the late 1980s.
Thanks Tim. Is the track alongside North Lane easily visible?

Zippy

Post by Zippy » Sat May 01, 2021 6:54 pm

There are pictures of Tongham bridge here http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/t/tongham/ The bridge was a bit higher than the first floor level of the buildings.

The remaining section of Government Sidings is off the North Lane / Ordnance Road roundabout, zoom in on the centre of this https://goo.gl/maps/z4McybYX7yRBvjgT7

Zippy

Post by Zippy » Sat May 01, 2021 7:40 pm

And not forgetting that where the sidings left the mainline there was also a spur going the other way. It curved round and crossed Government Road and then went through St Omer Barracks in a cutting, ending at the Military Power Station. The cutting in St Omer was still visible until the redevelopment that created the current buildings there - for anyone who knew the barracks as they were, the cutting was beneath the bridge that went from the HQ buildings to the clock tower. I dread to think how many times I crossed that bridge.

Turnkey

Post by Turnkey » Sat May 01, 2021 8:14 pm

Many, many moons ago I when I worked on the Permanent Way, a lot of the old points sets we still extant where the various branches and spurs came off the main line. I often wondered where they went, and a few of the older hands remembered them, but of course as a callow youth I paid little attention. I do remember though when the line was made single track down to Alton, we lifted a set of points and re-used them for the oil terminal down at Bentley. A lot of the track was also used for the sidings at Alton, and some was transported by road to Alresford where we spent a very happy week working on the Watercress renewing the line for them. I know a lot of panels were also stored at Alresford for the proposed extension down towards Winchester that never happened.

Fuggletim

Post by Fuggletim » Sat May 01, 2021 10:21 pm

Turnkey wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 8:14 pm
Many, many moons ago I when I worked on the Permanent Way, a lot of the old points sets we still extant where the various branches and spurs came off the main line. I often wondered where they went, and a few of the older hands remembered them, but of course as a callow youth I paid little attention. I do remember though when the line was made single track down to Alton, we lifted a set of points and re-used them for the oil terminal down at Bentley. A lot of the track was also used for the sidings at Alton, and some was transported by road to Alresford where we spent a very happy week working on the Watercress renewing the line for them. I know a lot of panels were also stored at Alresford for the proposed extension down towards Winchester that never happened.
A lot of the track panels from the old "Down" Line between Farnham and Alton saw eventually saw new use on the Swanage Railway between Harmans Cross and Norden. Always feel nostalgic when I go over them! It seemed bizarre back in 1985-86 when the Holybourne Oil Terminal was opened and the Watercress re-connected to Alton, that BR decided to downgrade the route from Farnham to Alton. The unsubstantiated rumour at the time was that with the failure to secure the Alresford to Alton extension, the Watercress (MHR) might want to push "Up" to Farnham!

I worked at Bounds Green in the early 1990's and our 2 x Stores wagons (used for ferrying supplies to/from Ferme Park) are down the Swanage Railway also.

Answering Statto; Yes the track terminates at the roundabout of Ordnance Road and North Lane. It is up on an slight embankment and can be seen just before passing under North Lane bridge. It is quite overgrown, but this side served the troop platforms where Bluff Cove is now.

As Zippy says, Government Sidings also went off in the other direction, but the track and alignment has long since gone. The sidings were disconnected years ago, but the old "Groundframe" was still in situ next to the track between Aldershot and Ash Vale until about 2015.

Fuggletim

Post by Fuggletim » Sat May 01, 2021 10:39 pm

Zippy wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 3:20 pm
Marty Feldman's "The Loneliness of the Long Distance Golfer" sketch was filmed at Longmoor, starting at about 2m50s into this video (though its worth watching the whole clip) http://bestgolftutorial.com/marty-feldm ... 2cnQENr-zo

The line of the Longmoor track bed from Oakhanger Halt to Whitehill now forms the Bordon by pass. Heading south Oakhanger Halt was situated on the right hand side just before the traffic lights at the Oakhanger Road junction, the section ends where the line used to go under the A325 but that is now infilled to create a not very round roundabout.

After Longmoor closed there were plans for a heritage centre at the Liss end, with backing from the artist David Shepherd who has owned several locos over the years. Sadly the locals weren't in favour and it never happened. That section of the track bed is now a footpath from the location of Liss Forest Road back to the level crossing at Liss, The old platform and shelter are still in situ at Liss.

The bridge is almost certainly the old one under the A325 and the crossroads of Liphook and Firgrove Road. The bridge is still there, but buried under the roundabout. The cutting immediately either side of the bridge was filed in sometime in the late 1980's, but I remember walking underneath it; it was really wet! There are few pictures of Hopkins Bridge, but I think this was more towards Hollywater on the Hollywater Loop. For those not local Hollywater is a small hamlet between Whitehill and a Liphook which boasts a great pub (curently closed) called the Royal Oak!

The ill fated preservation scheme of part of the LMR was the late artist, David Shepherd's venture. I saw his 2 x locomotives Green Knight and Black Prince pass down through Haslemere in July 1967 (the last day of stream on BR Southern Region) on the way to Liss.

I went to a talk with David Shepherd a few years ago at Alresford. He took great delight in recounting s story about a woman who had objected to his Railway at Liss who had in later years contacted him to apologise as she realised that had it been allowed to go ahead, the A3 bypass would never have been built!

Somerset Shot

Post by Somerset Shot » Sat May 01, 2021 11:02 pm

Railway......a track made of steel rails along which trains run. 😴