O/t Great British Railway Journeys

Birdman
O/t Great British Railway Journeys

Post by Birdman » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:39 pm

If you’re interested, BBC2 @ 6:30 this evening and presented by Michael Portillo. Features Guildford to Aldershot.

brian bloomfield
Re: O/t Great British Railway Journeys

Post by brian bloomfield » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:05 pm

A fantastic presenter and very colourful

Richard Petty

Post by Richard Petty » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:25 pm

I will make a Cheese and Tomato sandwich now and leave it out on the side so that when I eat it at 6.30pm it should be just about right to give me the "British Railways" catering experience to go with watching the show :lol:

redandbluescb

Post by redandbluescb » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:25 pm

What will he think of Wanborough station and he could have a wander around Ash.

Fuggletim

Post by Fuggletim » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:24 pm

Wonder if he can find Ash Junction?

redblueuptoyou

Post by redblueuptoyou » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:17 pm

This Portillo documentary about the Cambridge Military Hospital was also fascinating: https://www.channel5.com/show/portillos ... f-britain/

lowerbourneshot

Post by lowerbourneshot » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:19 pm

Fuggletim wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:24 pm
Or any remains of Tongham Halt Station.

Fuggletim

Post by Fuggletim » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:01 pm

lowerbourneshot wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:19 pm
Fuggletim wrote:
Indeed! I remember it being there and with track still in situ in the mid 1960s although trains had ceased running long before. Think the bridge was still there until about 25 x years ago!

Oddly enough my Daughter lives in Tongham!

Birdman

Post by Birdman » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:32 pm

Fuggletim wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:01 pm
lowerbourneshot wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:19 pm
Fuggletim wrote:
Indeed! I remember it being there and with track still in situ in the mid 1960s although trains had ceased running long before. Think the bridge was still there until about 25 x years ago!

Oddly enough my Daughter lives in Tongham!
Nostalgia corner :- http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/t/to ... dex1.shtml

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/t/tongham/

Tomorrow’s episode is ‘Farnborough to Winchester’.

Fuggletim

Post by Fuggletim » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:14 pm

Great stuff Birdman! If it ever re-opens, there are quite a few historic picture of the Station at the White Hart pub in the village.

My next door neighbour bought a dog from a kennel down Grange Road in Tongham in about 1966. I went there with her and my late Dad to pick the dog up and I remember there were was still track behind the kennel. I think seeing the railway track was more exciting than my neighbours new dog (a Poodle)!

The opening of the direct route from London to Aldershot (and then on to Farnham, Alton and Winchester) effectively bypassed and isolated both Ash Green (which never was busy) and Tongham (which had the potential to be).

I think, to be honest, even with modern thinking, that maintaining a through route to Guildford would be difficult to justify with a duplicated route only about 3 x miles to the North. Sadly to justify a short truncated branch to Tongham from either the Ash Junction or Guildford side would be even more difficult.
Last edited by Fuggletim on Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

shots1965

Post by shots1965 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:04 am

Has anybody mentioned the famous *Tongham ghost
Late 60s?..
Apparently seen on the railroad track..👽

supershots

Post by supershots » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:26 am

I find it funny that nobody mentions on here that Portillo planned to go from Guildford to Chilworth then to Farnham?

Strange that he did not share that there is no link between the two! And tomorrow he will go from Farnborough to Winchester, somehow calling in at the Watercress line on the way!
I always enjoy the series but these episodes have shown up the artistic license which calls into question the other episodes.

Fuggletim

Post by Fuggletim » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:47 am

Very seldom when the Railway is featured on TV and film is it technically accurate. For example, the programme last night was switching from shots of 4 x track, double track and single track locations despite the entire journey being made would only have been over a double track. Being in the rail industry, I do smile (and groan) a lot when I see the Railway portrayed on celluloid at the lack of accuracy.

One film that springs to mind is the "Elephant Man" which has a beautiful Victorian feel until a railway scene where suddenly a locomotive built in the late 1940's appears! Another one is the film "Quadrophenia" which uses a very obvious London Paddington as the location where "Jimmy" boards the train to Brighton instead of London Victoria and in the same film shows a mid 1970s High Speed Train passing his house, despite the film being set in 1963! Mind you the album "Quadrophenia" shows, in the booklet, the character Jimmy entering London Waterloo to make his fateful journey to Brighton, but at least he could have changed at Clapham Jct to get there; a lot easier than going from London Paddington!

I think, though, that if you ever see your own area of work or expertise portrayed on Film/TV you will often feel the same when it comes to technical accuracy. 😆

Anon E Mouse

Post by Anon E Mouse » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:05 am

supershots wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:26 am
I find it funny that nobody mentions on here that Portillo planned to go from Guildford to Chilworth then to Farnham?

Strange that he did not share that there is no link between the two! And tomorrow he will go from Farnborough to Winchester, somehow calling in at the Watercress line on the way!
I always enjoy the series but these episodes have shown up the artistic license which calls into question the other episodes.
Bet he had to wait awhile for a train at Chilworth Station 🙂.
Despite the technicalities (during the Agatha Christie interview at Newlands Corner, the same couple and a dog walked past 3 times), I really enjoy these programmes.