Southgate

shots1965
Southgate

Post by shots1965 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:39 pm

The players to miss out as Southgate trimmed the 33-man group he named last week were Jesse Lingard, Ben Godfrey, Aaron Ramsdale, Ollie Watkins, James Ward-Prowse and Ben White, with Mason Greenwood withdrawing from contention due to what his club, Manchester United, described as an "underlying injury".
Lingard had a highly productive second half of the season on loan at West Ham, but it was not enough to persuade the Three Lions boss.
Southgate said that decision proved "very difficult".
The players who were excluded will remain with the squad over the coming days and could feature in friendlies against Austria on Wednesday and Romania on Sunday, both of which will be played at Middlesbrough's Riverside Stadium.

So what is the point of keeping the players he has dumped
If he’s going to play them in the friendlies

The man is completely clueless we have absolutely no chance in the Euros

He also said, he would take six fullbacks if he could

Unbelievable

Shots2000
Re: Southgate

Post by Shots2000 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:23 am

He was joking when he said he'd take 6 full backs 😂😂.

Ian M

Post by Ian M » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:29 pm

We are in usual silly-season of "pre-tournament period" where, whatever happens, is reported as bad.

Whoever he picks, is useless, whoever he leaves out, is a world beater.

Keep the marginal players with the group - it's pointless and stupid.

Send them packing early - he's a heartless moron, not planning for the future and building a squad mentality.

:D

redblueuptoyou

Post by redblueuptoyou » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:52 pm

He was clearly joking when he said he’d take six right backs.

The players who missed out on the squad were given the choice of staying with the group or going home. They all decided to stay (bar Greenwood, who is apparently injured), which says something about the camaraderie and respect they have for the group/managerial staff.

None of the players involved in the European finals are playing tonight. Jesse Lingard is going to essentially be a ringer.

Looking forward to the tournament and seeing young and exciting players like Bellingham, Foden and Grealish making their mark (even if off the bench).

Old Bob

Post by Old Bob » Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:50 pm

shots1965 wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:39 pm

Unbelievable
The point is to keep them fit and involved in case he has to call them in as replacements. Also to give them the consolation of a cap as some sort of recompense for not being retained.

If Gareth Southgate is "clueless", how come we did far better than expected in the last World Cup? And have you listened to him being interviewed, when he patiently explains the thinking behind his decisions? Seems to me that he has plenty of clues.

Of course, I question some of his decisions. That's normal, a difference of opinion. i would have retained Ward-Prowse for his dead-ball skills, and because one or more games will almost certainly go to penalties. I would not have selected two injured players, but taken just the one: Jordan Henderson, for his experience and leadership, which are valuable assets even if he doesn't play.

So I don't agree with you, '65. I particularly don't agree with your immoderate choice of words. Southgate had to whittle down the squad; it's unfair to describe those left out as "dumped". He isn't clueless. And "unbelievable" is one of the most tired and overused words around. It's in a class with "amazing", "to be honest", "at the end of the day", ...

Morrissey's Scorcher

Post by Morrissey's Scorcher » Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:55 pm

England under Southgate are a pretty tough watch though, very dour and dreary stuff for the most part. Under him we are okay against the poorer sides but whenever we meet top quality opposition it's always the same story a pretty tame defeat.

redblueuptoyou

Post by redblueuptoyou » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:06 pm

Morrissey's Scorcher wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:55 pm
England under Southgate are a pretty tough watch though, very dour and dreary stuff for the most part. Under him we are okay against the poorer sides but whenever we meet top quality opposition it's always the same story a pretty tame defeat.
That’s pretty much the experience of watching England over the past two decades, isn’t it?

Bob

Post by Bob » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:12 pm

redblueuptoyou wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:06 pm
Morrissey's Scorcher wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:55 pm
That’s pretty much the experience of watching England over the past two decades, isn’t it?
Yes

Bob

Post by Bob » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:13 pm

Old Bob wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:50 pm
shots1965 wrote:

Unbelievable
The point is to keep them fit and involved in case he has to call them in as replacements. Also to give them the consolation of a cap as some sort of recompense for not being retained.

If Gareth Southgate is "clueless", how come we did far better than expected in the last World Cup? And have you listened to him being interviewed, when he patiently explains the thinking behind his decisions? Seems to me that he has plenty of clues.

Of course, I question some of his decisions. That's normal, a difference of opinion. i would have retained Ward-Prowse for his dead-ball skills, and because one or more games will almost certainly go to penalties. I would not have selected two injured players, but taken just the one: Jordan Henderson, for his experience and leadership, which are valuable assets even if he doesn't play.

So I don't agree with you, '65. I particularly don't agree with your immoderate choice of words. Southgate had to whittle down the squad; it's unfair to describe those left out as "dumped". He isn't clueless. And "unbelievable" is one of the most tired and overused words around. It's in a class with "amazing", "to be honest", "at the end of the day", ...
I think he’s a fairly intelligent bloke

Bob

Post by Bob » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:15 pm

Old Bob wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:50 pm
shots1965 wrote:

Unbelievable

Twice recently I’ve delivered a parcel and both times a young lady answered and said that’s amazing, very strange and mildly disturbing

Morrissey's Scorcher

Post by Morrissey's Scorcher » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:39 pm

The last England manager that played good stuff was Terry Venables, as usual a disastrous decision to replace him by the FA.

Richard Petty

Post by Richard Petty » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:44 pm

To be fair I think we have looked better under Southgate than we have for quite a long while, however I also accept the the bar wasn't exactly set high to gauge any improvement against.

He has had plenty of time to prepare for the Euros so this will be a good test of whether we have improved or not, I think we can do well and my heart says be in with a chance of winning it, my head says we will progress but may just fall short at the end.

redandbluescb

Post by redandbluescb » Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:07 pm

Play Grealish,Mount and Foden and we have a chance of sucess.

redblueuptoyou

Post by redblueuptoyou » Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:15 pm

redandbluescb wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:07 pm
Play Grealish,Mount and Foden and we have a chance of sucess.
Those three around Kane would be great. I think Southgate will stick with a couple from Sterling/Rashford/Sancho though.

Portly Stilton Shot

Post by Portly Stilton Shot » Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:29 pm

Strange to me that we can't go down the road to watch a match as we've always done and yet a complete squad of players, complete with full entourage of officials, are let in from an "Amber List" country for a friendly.