Southgate

Wokingham Shot
Re: Southgate

Post by Wokingham Shot » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:38 am

Not a lot of middle ground with England still I see!

Either going to win the world cup or should be bought home after the first game in disgrace.

From the outside looking in, this genuinely is as good an opportunity as they are going to get. Feel free to name a country playing England at Wembley who would start decent favourites.

I suggest you get on board and enjoy this, it maybe a while till the stars align like this for the national team.

(Oh and Kevin, unless I am mis-reading you and you are talking 'in-person', whilst the Dutch game was great, surely No.1 is Germany away 2001 and No.2 Yugoslavia away in '87?)

ACA

Post by ACA » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:18 am

Wokingham Shot wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:38 am

Either going to win the world cup or should be bought home after the first game in disgrace.

From the outside looking in, this genuinely is as good an opportunity as they are going to get. Feel free to name a country playing England at Wembley who would start decent favourites.

I suggest you get on board and enjoy this, it maybe a while till the stars align like this for the national team.
It's clear why the England job is seen as such a poisoned chalice isn't it, just from reading some of the comments in this thread. Clearly us getting to the World Cup semi-finals for the first time in 28 years had nothing at all to do with Southgate's management (even though us getting knocked out was because of his management, it seems), it was because "we were lucky" and got an easy draw. We got an "easy draw" at Euro 2016 and we all know how that ended. Even if we'd won the tournament there would have been fans grousing that we were lucky, the standard of our opponents was the poorest in decades, etc. You could appoint absolutely anyone in the world to the job - half the fans would say "give him a chance" and the other half would say "he's the wrong man for the job".

Some England fans (like some Shots fans and football fans generally) just seem to like being miserable.

NZSHOT

Post by NZSHOT » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:39 am

excuses already for a disappointed Euro's why have injured players in the squad, replace them all now not worth the risk.

Cph.shots

Post by Cph.shots » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:40 am

ACA wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:18 am
Wokingham Shot wrote:

It's clear why the England job is seen as such a poisoned chalice isn't it, just from reading some of the comments in this thread. Clearly us getting to the World Cup semi-finals for the first time in 28 years had nothing at all to do with Southgate's management (even though us getting knocked out was because of his management, it seems), it was because "we were lucky" and got an easy draw. We got an "easy draw" at Euro 2016 and we all know how that ended. Even if we'd won the tournament there would have been fans grousing that we were lucky, the standard of our opponents was the poorest in decades, etc. You could appoint absolutely anyone in the world to the job - half the fans would say "give him a chance" and the other half would say "he's the wrong man for the job".

Some England fans (like some Shots fans and football fans generally) just seem to like being miserable.
So right!

HarryTom

Post by HarryTom » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:42 am

ACA wrote:
Wokingham Shot wrote:

It's clear why the England job is seen as such a poisoned chalice isn't it, just from reading some of the comments in this thread. Clearly us getting to the World Cup semi-finals for the first time in 28 years had nothing at all to do with Southgate's management (even though us getting knocked out was because of his management, it seems), it :!: was because "we were lucky" and got an easy draw. We got an "easy draw" at Euro 2016 and we all know how that ended. Even if we'd won the tournament there would have been fans grousing that we were lucky, the standard of our opponents was the poorest in decades, etc. You could appoint absolutely anyone in the world to the job - half the fans would say "give him a chance" and the other half would say "he's the wrong man for the job".

Very well put ! could not agree more. :!:

Anon E Mouse

Post by Anon E Mouse » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:04 pm

HarryTom wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:42 am
ACA wrote:
Wokingham Shot wrote:

It's clear why the England job is seen as such a poisoned chalice isn't it, just from reading some of the comments in this thread. Clearly us getting to the World Cup semi-finals for the first time in 28 years had nothing at all to do with Southgate's management (even though us getting knocked out was because of his management, it seems), it :!: was because "we were lucky" and got an easy draw. We got an "easy draw" at Euro 2016 and we all know how that ended. Even if we'd won the tournament there would have been fans grousing that we were lucky, the standard of our opponents was the poorest in decades, etc. You could appoint absolutely anyone in the world to the job - half the fans would say "give him a chance" and the other half would say "he's the wrong man for the job".

Harry you are the happiest most optimistic person I have ever come across. Its a breath of fresh air and raises all of our spirits. And a Shots fan as well, it's a strange combination, but you should write a book.

Would just like 5 mins in HT world.

Red-n-Blue

Post by Red-n-Blue » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:32 pm

Southgate is starting to get on my tits.

This morning he slammed the fans who booed when the players took the knee, saying they, "don't understand the message."

Tell you what, Gareth, why don't you ask those fans why they're booing, or is understanding a one-way street? Better still, keep your mouth shut and focus on the job of football.

HarryTom

Post by HarryTom » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:36 pm

Anon E Mouse wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:04 pm
HarryTom wrote:
ACA wrote:

Harry you are the happiest most optimistic person I have ever come across. Its a breath of fresh air and raises all of our spirits. And a Shots fan as well, it's a strange combination, but you should write a book.

With the greatest respect Mr Mouse, i don't think you would last 5 mins in my world :lol:

redblueuptoyou

Post by redblueuptoyou » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:39 pm

Red-n-Blue wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:32 pm

This morning he slammed the fans who booed when the players took the knee, saying they, "don't understand the message."

Tell you what, Gareth, why don't you ask those fans why they're booing, or is understanding a one-way street? Better still, keep your mouth shut and focus on the job of football.
I saw that interview and he didn’t ‘slam’ the fans. He said - in his usual calm and eloquent manner - that he was disappointed as some people are trying to make the action politically motivated when it clearly isn’t (oddly, no one seems to have issues with our national anthem with its religious connotations).

Besides, their actions show there really is still a long way to go to tackle these injustices. Did you see the look of disgust on Trent’s face when it happened? As Saka said in his interview after the match, ‘you’ll have to ask those who booed why they booed’.

Have a read of this: https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/engl ... er-1032896
Last edited by redblueuptoyou on Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SHOTSMAN68

Post by SHOTSMAN68 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:52 pm

just a friendly and if theres injurys so be it , theres so many uninjured players to choose from i cant see a problem once the euros get under way. Probably be a few more after the romania game.
I go for italy to win the euros.

redblueuptoyou

Post by redblueuptoyou » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:55 pm

SHOTSMAN68 wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:52 pm
just a friendly and if theres injurys so be it , theres so many uninjured players to choose from i cant see a problem once the euros get under way. Probably be a few more after the romania game.
I go for italy to win the euros.
Italy are looking good. Portugal have a good squad on paper but not convinced they will gel.

Cph.shots

Post by Cph.shots » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:28 pm

Anon E Mouse wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:04 pm
HarryTom wrote:
ACA wrote:

it's really not that difficult, just take a step back and ask yourself how important is Southgates/Englands/Aldershot/Searle performance(s) to you, is it really worth getting that worked up about.
Think about what is REALLY important to you.
Get out in nature, I'd recommend a forest and forget about all the unimportant stuff.

Cph.shots

Post by Cph.shots » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:32 pm

Red-n-Blue wrote:

I'd imagine most of the "fans" doing the booing were white and lack a bit of understanding and experiences that minority's have.

Les Briley

Post by Les Briley » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:24 pm

Cph.shots wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:32 pm
Red-n-Blue wrote:

I'd imagine most of the "fans" doing the booing were white and lack a bit of understanding and experiences that minority's have.
.....yeah, if you say so :roll:

Bob

Post by Bob » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:29 pm

The knee thing has made things worse than ever as I said the other day, theirs been more complaints about what’s been said on social media in the last year or so than ever has been