Southgate

Somerset Shot
Re: Southgate

Post by Somerset Shot » Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:00 pm

A smokescreen being repeated by Southgate ad nauseum laying the groundwork to excuse his team’s failures and his own incompetence. The bloke is a politician not a football manager…..before a ball is kicked the propaganda machine is in overdrive to brainwash us into his version of why his fragile young squad can’t be expected to perform. Everyone talks about taking the knee but virtually nothing about the football……just what Southgate has been propagating for months.

Shots2000

Post by Shots2000 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:42 pm

Sean dyche or Rodgers would win us something not Southgate.

Charles Dickens

Post by Charles Dickens » Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:50 pm

IanShots wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:15 am
Chalkie wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:59 am
Just asking......
Did the England players do anything to mark the remembrance of D - Day before the game yesterday?
Minute silence?
Black arm bands?
Thought not!
What has an event of 77 years ago got to do with what is happening now?
What are not fighting a war but people are still fighting rascism.

And what has the unpleasant slave trade that happened 150 to 200 years ago got to do with football or Great Britain today? History is history, good or bad,it can`t be changed.

Josh

Post by Josh » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:07 pm

Somerset Shot wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:00 pm
A smokescreen being repeated by Southgate ad nauseum laying the groundwork to excuse his team’s failures and his own incompetence. The bloke is a politician not a football manager…..before a ball is kicked the propaganda machine is in overdrive to brainwash us into his version of why his fragile young squad can’t be expected to perform. Everyone talks about taking the knee but virtually nothing about the football……just what Southgate has been propagating for months.
So he's the first MP to lead England to the semi finals of a World Cup?

Somerset Shot

Post by Somerset Shot » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:38 pm

Josh wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:07 pm
Somerset Shot wrote:
MP? Just an accidental misunderstanding on your part?

Josh

Post by Josh » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:54 pm

Somerset Shot wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:38 pm
Josh wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:07 pm
Somerset Shot wrote:
MP? Just an accidental misunderstanding on your part?
Ok, so is he the first politician to lead England to the semi finals of a World Cup?

scorp

Post by scorp » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:49 pm

IanShots wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:32 pm
scorp wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:29 am
IanShots wrote:

A number of football players went to the front in Normandy as soldiers. Among them were Matt Busby and Joe Mercer - and Bill Nicholson. Some played for Aldershot - while they were stationed in army barracks at Aldershot - en route to France, among them Bill Nicholson and the England back three, although the latter not all at the same time perhaps. Matt Busby was in the Aldershot area for a time. Here is an interesting paragraph from the Chelsea FC link below: "Clubs close to barracks were the big beneficiaries and lowly Aldershot fielded whole elevens of star servicemen. Stamford Bridge’s wonderful rail and Underground links made the ground easily accessible – Aldershot was a little over 30 miles distant and there were RAF bases at Bovingdon (25 miles away) and Greenham Common (55 miles)."

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2020/ ... rs--includ
All very interesting (genuinely), but not relevant to the conversation which is what is happening now.
Maybe i should have replied directly to Chalkie.

Charles Dickens

Post by Charles Dickens » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:09 am

Somerset Shot wrote:
A few weeks ago he suggested that England were at a disadvantage by having to play so many games on home turf, I scratched my head to understand.

Perhaps it is simply a case of CMA thinking?

GetShotDownunder

Post by GetShotDownunder » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:48 am

Might put a sneaky tenner on England..... for mine this all appears an elaborate smokescreen to defect pressure/hype off the national team squad. :D

IanShots

Post by IanShots » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:12 am

Charles Dickens wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:50 pm
IanShots wrote:
Chalkie wrote:
Just asking......
Did the England players do anything to mark the remembrance of D - Day before the game yesterday?
Minute silence?
Black arm bands?
Thought not!

And what has the unpleasant slave trade that happened 150 to 200 years ago got to do with football or Great Britain today? History is history, good or bad,it can`t be changed.
Absolutely nothing! Who said it was? You just brought that in! Read what the players say, its about rascism now, and try living in the present.

James Frazer

Post by James Frazer » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:26 pm

From the horse’s mouth (so to speak)
https://www.theplayerstribune.com/post ... ros-soccer

Old Bob

Post by Old Bob » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:56 pm

Chalkie wrote:
Just asking......
Minute silence?
Black arm bands?
Thought not!
Chalkie, I think you will find that FIFA do not allow players to make political gestures before or during internationals. You may recall that the England team had to get special permission to wear poppies on their jerseys a while ago. It was accepted as an act of remembrance for all the fallen servicemen of WW1, rather than just the "victors".
It's obviously a difficult judgement, determining what is political and what isn't. Politics is deeply entwined in everyday life, after all.
D-Day was the invasion of one country occupied by another country by an alliance of other countries. I can see that that could be construed as "political".
It's interesting that "taking the knee" is allowed. I guess FIFA feel that it is not political (as does Gareth Southgate and me too, come to that) but a statement of support for racial equality. Again, it's a difficult judgement and I can understand someone having a contrary view. However, I can't understand or condone anyone booing. If people think it's ineffective, but support the principle of equality, why would they not just keep quiet?

IanShots

Post by IanShots » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:20 pm

Old Bob wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:56 pm
Chalkie wrote:
Just asking......
Minute silence?
Black arm bands?
Thought not!
Chalkie, I think you will find that FIFA do not allow players to make political gestures before or during internationals. You may recall that the England team had to get special permission to wear poppies on their jerseys a while ago. It was accepted as an act of remembrance for all the fallen servicemen of WW1, rather than just the "victors".
It's obviously a difficult judgement, determining what is political and what isn't. Politics is deeply entwined in everyday life, after all.
D-Day was the invasion of one country occupied by another country by an alliance of other countries. I can see that that could be construed as "political".
It's interesting that "taking the knee" is allowed. I guess FIFA feel that it is not political (as does Gareth Southgate and me too, come to that) but a statement of support for racial equality. Again, it's a difficult judgement and I can understand someone having a contrary view. However, I can't understand or condone anyone booing. If people think it's ineffective, but support the principle of equality, why would they not just keep quiet?
Agreed!

I have to say that people who are paying good money to go and watch an England game and then stand there and boo them are really as thick as ****!! Do they actually think that will help the players perform :oops:

Old Bob

Post by Old Bob » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:50 pm

Charles Dickens wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:09 am
Somerset Shot wrote:
A few weeks ago he suggested that England were at a disadvantage by having to play so many games on home turf, I scratched my head to understand.

Perhaps it is simply a case of CMA thinking?
I have absolutely no idea what this "smokescreen" that Somerset is referring to actually is. I've looked back through the posts, and it just comes out of nowhere. Nor do I recognise what the "propaganda machine" is, nor do I (bloody cynic that I am, through and through) feel "brainwashed". I have no recollection of hearing Southgate say that England are at a disadvantage playing at home. I have looked back through his interviews and found nothing like that. Have I missed it?

I honestly do not understand all the flak Gareth Southgate is getting from some (not all, of course) on this board. Much of it strikes me as rather hysterical and not grounded in reality. I certainly haven't heard much (any?) CMA-style excuse-making before the fact. And I'm sorry, but I've heard a great deal more from Gareth Southgate about the football (certainly the team selection) than about "taking the knee".

If people don't want to hear about "taking the knee", maybe they should not propel it into the news by booing. Maybe they should just respect the desire of the players (OUR players may I remind you if you are English) to show that the England team stands for equality and against prejudice. Maybe.

Crowthorne

Post by Crowthorne » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:04 pm

Or maybe just ignore it as a gesture supporting a political ideology, rather than booing which gives it increased coverage.