POLITICS

IanShots
Re: POLITICS

Post by IanShots » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:52 pm

Crowthorne wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:16 pm
The state maintained welfare payments throughout and help was there for those in need.
Your second point, am I happy to see children go hungry, is purile and not worthy of a reply.
It really wasn’t there for everyone! Some people actually done rather well out of the support while for some others there was no support at all. The gig economy and all that…

lowerbourneshot

Post by lowerbourneshot » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:44 pm

Fuggletim wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:50 am
It's quite true to say that the old bridge at Shanklin Station has gone, but beyond that the trackbed to Wroxall is a footpath and cyclway until you arrive at Wroxall Station where it has been built over. Beyond Wroxall, the trackbed down to Manor Lane bridge seems to be waterlogged and the short cutting beyond to Ventnor Tunnel (sometimes known as St Boniface tunnel) has been filled in. However if there is a will, then of course there is a way.

Ventnor had 2 x rail routes and the other one came in from Newport (via Merstone and Godshill). This closed in the early 1950's an realistically has no chance of re-opening. Ventnor West Station still exists in the middle of a housing estate, but the approaches to the Station have all been built over as part of the estate. St Lawrence (or High Hat) Tunnel can still be found if you know where to look, but the Ventnor end runs straight into house! Godshill and Whitwell Ststions still exist as does some of the trackbed, but it would be far more of a challenge both physically and financially to be viable.

Now then, LBS why is Wroxall dear to your heart? Is it something to do with the now closed and very dilapidated "Worsley Arms" outside the Station or the old Manor Inn ( renamed the Star) about 1/4 up the road? 😄
A friends family owned a house in Grove Road Wroxall left out of The Wors and first left . Just many happy memories from a lovely village . Now Ventnor West and The Terminus pub grrrrr which i never visited ,but my mates did . Off down the Island from next Wednesday for 5 nights

Fuggletim

Post by Fuggletim » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:55 pm

Have a good time LBS! Have a few pints for me!

Crowthorne

Post by Crowthorne » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:02 pm

Cph.shots wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:25 pm
Crowthorne wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:13 pm
redblueuptoyou wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:24 pm

Breaking international law ‘in a limited and specific way’.
Planning to starve kids during a pandemic.
2,200 food banks in the UK.

And this is the latest: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... hange.html
I wasn't going to get involved in this debate. But when nonsense, like planning to starve kids is said I can't help it. I was always taught that having kids is a gift and carries an obligation to care for them. It is not the responsibility of the state to feed them, that comes with parental duty. If you choose to bring children into the world, be prepared to undertake your duty to them.
..... but if there aren't enough proper English children being born , we'll have to import even more foreigners to do the work that we don't want to do anyway.
Don't know what you're talking about, I didn't say anything about anyone's background.

redblueuptoyou

Post by redblueuptoyou » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:04 pm

IanShots wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:52 pm
Crowthorne wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:16 pm
The state maintained welfare payments throughout and help was there for those in need.
Your second point, am I happy to see children go hungry, is purile and not worthy of a reply.
It really wasn’t there for everyone! Some people actually done rather well out of the support while for some others there was no support at all. The gig economy and all that…
There were so many people who slipped through the cracks - especially those who are self-employed and in the creative arts industry. I know many who were part of these forgotten ones and they pretty much all know people who are sadly no longer with us.

On the other point from the original reply, no child should go hungry in a country as rich as the UK. It’s really that simple. If you don’t agree, well, you must have a ‘puerile’ mindset.

Especially when the prime minister spent £27k on takeaways himself: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... donor.html)

Bob

Post by Bob » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:22 pm

80fc wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:33 am
Bob wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:21 pm
MANNIMIST wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:38 pm
Off you go then lads - start debating.
I’d rather discuss how wasps operate in Peru 🇵🇪 to be honest MR Mist!
How many White Anglo-Saxon Protestants are there in Peru

80fc

Post by 80fc » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:50 pm

Bob wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:22 pm
80fc wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:33 am
Bob wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:21 pm

I’d rather discuss how wasps operate in Peru 🇵🇪 to be honest MR Mist!
How many White Anglo-Saxon Protestants are there in Peru
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Peruvians

IanShots

Post by IanShots » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:14 pm

Anyway as this is the politics thread
How’s Michael Gove doing, quiet isn’t he? ;)

Richard Petty

Post by Richard Petty » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:26 pm

IanShots wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:14 pm
Yes, I had almost forgotten about him. Probably keeping his head down in case there is another leadership challange, he would want to distance himself from the current process. Also he has just split up with his wife Sarah Vine.

IanShots

Post by IanShots » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:37 pm

Richard Petty wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:26 pm
IanShots wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:14 pm
Yes, I had almost forgotten about him. Probably keeping his head down in case there is another leadership challange, he would want to distance himself from the current process. Also he has just split up with his wife Sarah Vine.
Sent you a private note Richard 😊

chimpster99

Post by chimpster99 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:54 pm

Don’t forget Gove was the architect of Brexit and the current gov. Cummings is very much his man and is doing the talking for him. If Govey’s quiet it means he’s busy, which means trouble for Boris. Biding his time…. What a snake he truly is.

redblueuptoyou

Post by redblueuptoyou » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:59 pm

chimpster99 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:54 pm
Don’t forget Gove was the architect of Brexit and the current gov. Cummings is very much his man and is doing the talking for him. If Govey’s quiet it means he’s busy, which means trouble for Boris. Biding his time…. What a snake he truly is.
Slimy Gove. Cummings got his wish with getting Hancock out, Boris next?

lanternhall

Post by lanternhall » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:57 pm

Crowthorne wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:13 pm
redblueuptoyou wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:24 pm
Mytshot wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:34 pm

I don't buy this 'there is no credible opposition' argument: I mean, Labour (or any other opposition party) is a worse alternative than this...?
Patel's ignored bullying inquiry
Williamson's exam fiasco
Jenrick's dodgy planning approval
Cummings defended for 'testing his eyesight'
Hancock and Gove's unlawful awarding of pandemic contracts
Hancock's affair
Patel's detention policies breaching human rights
Lack of PPE
The care home scandal
Too late to lockdown
Flip flopping mixed messaging of Covid regulations
Johnson's dodgy flat decoration
Johnson and Sunak trying to avoid self isolation
Johnson lying about the Northern Ireland border
Gove magically dodging self isolation by getting onto a 'pilot' scheme

And that's off the top of my head! How bad do they have to get?
Breaking international law ‘in a limited and specific way’.
Planning to starve kids during a pandemic.
2,200 food banks in the UK.

And this is the latest: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... hange.html
I wasn't going to get involved in this debate. But when nonsense, like planning to starve kids is said I can't help it. I was al fulfilled thereways taught that having kids is a gift and carries an obligation to care for them. It is not the responsibility of the state to feed them, that comes with parental duty. If you choose to bring children into the world, be prepared to undertake your duty to them.
Ok. Let me counter your simplistic thread. If parents don't fulfill there obligation to care for there kids. Which a lot don't. What happens to the kids?
The parents have not fulfilled there role. So what happens to the kids? We let them starve do we?
I know what. !ets go back to work houses..

redblueuptoyou

Post by redblueuptoyou » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:09 am

The after effects of this pandemic (which is still going on, let’s not forget that) will be felt for a long time to come: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57908556

lanternhall

Post by lanternhall » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:58 am

redblueuptoyou wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:09 am
The after effects of this pandemic (which is still going on, let’s not forget that) will be felt for a long time to come: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57908556
Unfortunately the NHS has been underfunded for years by both parties, so I am not playing politics.
As I result of Covid there will be a lot of deaths and a lot of suffering from other conditions. This is only the beginning.
Would like to be positive but it isn't .
Anyway I am sure that the massive 3% pay rise will retain well trained staff in the service and encourage new recruits.