Post by MANNIMIST » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:38 pm

Off you go then lads - start debating.

Bob
Re: POLITICS

Post by Bob » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:21 pm

MANNIMIST wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:38 pm
I’d rather discuss how wasps operate in Peru 🇵🇪 to be honest MR Mist!

redblueuptoyou

Post by redblueuptoyou » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:08 pm

Cummings has done an interview with Kuennsberg and shared one of the Prime Minister’s texts from October (when rates were really bad and rising): ‘I don’t buy all this NHS being overwhelmed stuff’.

It will be shown in full on the BBC tomorrow and doesn’t reflect well on Johnson: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-57854811.amp

Wakefield Shots

Post by Wakefield Shots » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:34 pm

redblueuptoyou wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:08 pm
Cummings has done an interview with Kuennsberg and shared one of the Prime Minister’s texts from October (when rates were really bad and rising): ‘I don’t buy all this NHS being overwhelmed stuff’.
Cummings versus Boris. Both liars. Wouldn't give either the time of day.

As for Keunsberg, she has failed to ask any sensible question at the press conferences for over a year. I used to think she was a good reporter but the BBC has become akin to a state broadcaster during the pandemic. Like most of the media they have delighted in bad news and sought out all the negatives they can find, without questioning if the right course of action was being taken. The question has usually been along the lines of "surely that measure should be even tougher", rather than asking what the consequences would be and if they could be worse than the issue they are trying to solve.

Dr Jim Royle

Post by Dr Jim Royle » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:07 am

You are only hip in commenting about politics if you can find fault with everything and of course have the wonderful power of Hindsight.

Cannot remember the last time any BBC interviewer was able to be unbiased.

lanternhall

Post by lanternhall » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:01 am

Wakefield Shots wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:34 pm
redblueuptoyou wrote:

As for Keunsberg, she has failed to ask any sensible question at the press conferences for over a year. I used to think she was a good reporter but the BBC has become akin to a state broadcaster during the pandemic. Like most of the media they have delighted in bad news and sought out all the negatives they can find, without questioning if the right course of action was being taken. The question has usually been along the lines of "surely that measure should be even tougher", rather than asking what the consequences would be and if they could be worse than the issue they are trying to solve.
Laura Keunsberg is an excellent journalist. Yes the right course of action was taken but it appears that this is despite Johnson rather than because of him.
Because of delay in first lock down, he is responsible for a lot of deaths..

Sure Cummings has an agenda but he is not a stupid man. He can prove all these allegations.
Hopefully this is the downfall of Johnson. Most incompetent P.M ever.

redblueuptoyou

Post by redblueuptoyou » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:15 am

I’ve seen a few people comment on how Cummings is smarter than most in the government but also not quite as smart as he thinks he is. Not a great combination.

Cph.shots

Post by Cph.shots » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:20 am

MANNIMIST wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:38 pm
:lol:

lanternhall

Post by lanternhall » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:38 am

redblueuptoyou wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:15 am
I’ve seen a few people comment on how Cummings is smarter than most in the government but also not quite as smart as he thinks he is. Not a great combination.
I have absolutely no time for Cummings but I have even less for Boris Johnson.
I believe him.

redblueuptoyou

Post by redblueuptoyou » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:50 am

lanternhall wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:38 am
redblueuptoyou wrote:
I believe him.
Well, he has the messages (which have been verified). Nothing seems to touch Johnson though…

lanternhall

Post by lanternhall » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:41 am

redblueuptoyou wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:50 am
lanternhall wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:38 am
redblueuptoyou wrote:
I believe him.
Well, he has the messages (which have been verified). Nothing seems to touch Johnson though…
That is because we don't have a credible opposition and I say this as a life long Labour supporter

WTF

Post by WTF » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:50 am

Perhaps Dr Beeching will review the railway lines he wants to close as I'm sure that they will all be needed once everyone has a motor car and the roads are packed!

Fuggletim

Post by Fuggletim » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:37 am

Wakefield Shots wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:34 pm
redblueuptoyou wrote:

Very good post Wakefield.

Dominic Cummings appears a man scorned and who trying to exact his revenge in any way he can. It is not to say Boris Johnson is perfect; far from it, but Mr Cummings isn't either. Dominic Cummings is not the first nor the last to use this tactic.

Would it be interesting, perhaps for Boris Johnson or someone to release some of Dominic Cummings replies etc? Might make interesting reading!

The situation is bad and that cannot be denied, but again was i the only person who switched off BBC news last night because of the constant sensationalist trowel laden negativity built upon negativity of its reporting? I stopped watching Sky News along time ago as it appears sensationalist too often in my view, but the BBC seem to do the same nowadays.

Fuggletim

Post by Fuggletim » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:47 am

WTF wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:50 am
Perhaps Dr Beeching will review the railway lines he wants to close as I'm sure that they will all be needed once everyone has a motor car and the roads are packed!
Richard Beeching was a person of his generation faced with an immediate crisis and a pressing Government agenda. Some of Beeching's cuts didn't happen and some of his ideas which led to the formation of the "InterCity" network, among other things, were quite revolutionary.

That said, shortsightedness was endemic to his report, and I am sure we can all think of railway routes that should never of closed (Locally the Mid Hants between Alton through to Winchester springs to mind) but it has to be remembered that cuts started long before Beeching.

Locally the routes between Petersfield and Midhurst fell into this category and also on the Isle of Wight much of the (albeit limited) network on the West of the Island succumbed long before Beeching.

WTF

Post by WTF » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:56 pm

Fuggletim wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:47 am
WTF wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:50 am
Richard Beeching was a person of his generation faced with an immediate crisis and a pressing Government agenda. Some of Beeching's cuts didn't happen and some of his ideas which led to the formation of the "InterCity" network, among other things, were quite revolutionary.

That said, shortsightedness was endemic to his report, and I am sure we can all think of railway routes that should never of closed (Locally the Mid Hants between Alton through to Winchester springs to mind) but it has to be remembered that cuts started long before Beeching.

Locally the routes between Petersfield and Midhurst fell into this category and also on the Isle of Wight much of the (albeit limited) network on the West of the Island succumbed long before Beeching.
Great post Fuggletim, I didn't know some of the things you have said. I accepted that he shut all the lines down!

I can remember as a kid the song "Oh Doctor Beeching" and used to sing it lol

I read that they are having trouble with new refurbished trains on the Isle of Wight between Ryde and Shanklin and are thinking of restarting the route between Sandown and Newport!