POLITICS

Post Reply
lanternhall
Posts: 1230
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:37 am
Re: POLITICS

Post by lanternhall » Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:30 pm

As a kid I was messing about in Ash and came across rail lines. Evidently there was another station and line there. Ash Green.

Fuggletim
Posts: 837
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:16 pm
Location: Whitehill
Re: POLITICS

Post by Fuggletim » Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:32 pm

Well can't say too much about the IOW trains as I have been involved with the project, but there are many factors in the delays!

It would be good to see a rail link back to Newport. A lot of the trackbed still does exist, although some key parts have now gone. I am glad though the idea is being looked at seriously!

Another route looked at is restoring the link from Shanklin to Ventnor which again has a significant part of the trackbed intact, but also again a few key parts (like at Wroxhall) which has been built over. Crucially though, Ventnor Tunnel is still there and ironically is probably busier now than it ever was, because although it no longer carries train, it carries various utilities into the town like water and gas.

I did have the pleasure of travelling to Ventnor on the train when I was a kid and I think that must have been about 1965/1966 as we went over on the new fangled "Hovercraft" to Ryde!

Fuggletim
Posts: 837
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:16 pm
Location: Whitehill
Re: POLITICS

Post by Fuggletim » Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:38 pm

lanternhall wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:30 pm
As a kid I was messing about in Ash and came across rail lines. Evidently there was another station and line there. Ash Green.
Yes there was a branch (originally the main route from Guildford) from Ash Jct (between Wanborough and Ash) and Farnham Jct (between Aldershot and Farnham) via Ash Green and Tongham.

There was quite a lot of chat about this route on this forum a few months ago, but this route succumbed in the 1950's for Passengers and Freight in the 1960's ( although it was closed between Tongham and Ash Jct) long before this.

The direct route from London to Farnham via Aldershot made this once important route a bit of a "backwater" in railway terms.

I remember the tracks in Tongham in the mid 1960's, but I think that was several years after closure.

Anon E Mouse
Posts: 4578
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:29 pm
Re: POLITICS

Post by Anon E Mouse » Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:38 pm

I'd like to discuss the set up for the Farnborough friendly ....what are peoples thoughts? :wink:

WTF
Posts: 859
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:17 am
Re: POLITICS

Post by WTF » Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:54 pm

Fuggletim wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:32 pm
Well can't say too much about the IOW trains as I have been involved with the project, but there are many factors in the delays!

It would be good to see a rail link back to Newport. A lot of the trackbed still does exist, although some key parts have now gone. I am glad though the idea is being looked at seriously!

Another route looked at is restoring the link from Shanklin to Ventnor which again has a significant part of the trackbed intact, but also again a few key parts (like at Wroxhall) which has been built over. Crucially though, Ventnor Tunnel is still there and ironically is probably busier now than it ever was, because although it no longer carries train, it carries various utilities into the town like water and gas.

I did have the pleasure of travelling to Ventnor on the train when I was a kid and I think that must have been about 1965/1966 as we went over on the new fangled "Hovercraft" to Ryde!
Interesting stuff, do you live on the island?

redandbluescb
Posts: 1389
Joined: Sat May 19, 2018 9:29 pm
Re: POLITICS

Post by redandbluescb » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:23 pm

Red and Blue to me mean nothing to do with politics.

Fuggletim
Posts: 837
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:16 pm
Location: Whitehill
Re: POLITICS

Post by Fuggletim » Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:46 pm

WTF wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:54 pm
Fuggletim wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:32 pm
Well can't say too much about the IOW trains as I have been involved with the project, but there are many factors in the delays!

It would be good to see a rail link back to Newport. A lot of the trackbed still does exist, although some key parts have now gone. I am glad though the idea is being looked at seriously!

Another route looked at is restoring the link from Shanklin to Ventnor which again has a significant part of the trackbed intact, but also again a few key parts (like at Wroxhall) which has been built over. Crucially though, Ventnor Tunnel is still there and ironically is probably busier now than it ever was, because although it no longer carries train, it carries various utilities into the town like water and gas.

I did have the pleasure of travelling to Ventnor on the train when I was a kid and I think that must have been about 1965/1966 as we went over on the new fangled "Hovercraft" to Ryde!
Interesting stuff, do you live on the island?
Unfortunately not, although I did look to move over there in the mid 1980's.

My Grandmother came from the Island (Wooton) originally and over the years I have been over a lot (although I have to confess I didn't go at all between 1992 and 2006) so I kind of regard myself as an honoury "Caulkhead!"

redandbluescb
Posts: 1389
Joined: Sat May 19, 2018 9:29 pm
Re: POLITICS

Post by redandbluescb » Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:53 pm

lanternhall wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:30 pm
As a kid I was messing about in Ash and came across rail lines. Evidently there was another station and line there. Ash Green.
I grew up in Ash, lived on Ash Hill Estate in the sixties and seventies.

lanternhall
Posts: 1230
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:37 am
Re: POLITICS

Post by lanternhall » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:16 pm

Fuggletim wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:38 pm
lanternhall wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:30 pm
As a kid I was messing about in Ash and came across rail lines. Evidently there was another station and line there. Ash Green.
Yes there was a branch (originally the main route from Guildford) from Ash Jct (between Wanborough and Ash) and Farnham Jct (between Aldershot and Farnham) via Ash Green and Tongham.

There was quite a lot of chat about this route on this forum a few months ago, but this route succumbed in the 1950's for Passengers and Freight in the 1960's ( although it was closed between Tongham and Ash Jct) long before this.

The direct route from London to Farnham via Aldershot made this once important route a bit of a "backwater" in railway terms.

I remember the tracks in Tongham in the mid 1960's, but I think that was several years after closure.
Did Tongham have a station?

lanternhall
Posts: 1230
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:37 am
Re: POLITICS

Post by lanternhall » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:18 pm

redandbluescb wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:53 pm
lanternhall wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:30 pm
As a kid I was messing about in Ash and came across rail lines. Evidently there was another station and line there. Ash Green.
I grew up in Ash, lived on Ash Hill Estate in the sixties and seventies.
Born in Ash Vale but know Ash well.

Richard Petty
Posts: 1342
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:12 pm
Location: Farnborough
Re: POLITICS

Post by Richard Petty » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:29 pm

This is brilliant a new Politics thread was started to stop people going off topic on the Farnborough friendly thread and now this one has morphed into a thread about extinct railways.

I might start one about trains just to see what that one turns into, probably discussion about the Farnborough friendly :lol:

Fuggletim
Posts: 837
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:16 pm
Location: Whitehill
Re: POLITICS

Post by Fuggletim » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:33 pm

Richard Petty wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:29 pm
This is brilliant a new Politics thread was started to stop people going off topic on the Farnborough friendly thread and now this one has morphed into a thread about extinct railways.

I might start one about trains just to see what that one turns into, probably discussion about the Farnborough friendly :lol:
Psychiatrists etc use word association as a technique to explore the hidden mysteries of the mind. I wonder what they would make of a Shotsweb thread? 😄😄

lanternhall
Posts: 1230
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:37 am
Re: POLITICS

Post by lanternhall » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:33 pm

Richard Petty wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:29 pm
This is brilliant a new Politics thread was started to stop people going off topic on the Farnborough friendly thread and now this one has morphed into a thread about extinct railways.

I might start one about trains just to see what that one turns into, probably discussion about the Farnborough friendly :lol:
You don't have to read it or participate.

WTF
Posts: 859
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:17 am
Re: POLITICS

Post by WTF » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:38 pm

lanternhall wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:33 pm
Richard Petty wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:29 pm
This is brilliant a new Politics thread was started to stop people going off topic on the Farnborough friendly thread and now this one has morphed into a thread about extinct railways.

I might start one about trains just to see what that one turns into, probably discussion about the Farnborough friendly :lol:
You don't have to read it or participate.
I agree Lanterhall, I mentioned Doctor Beeching as he was a politician and some of the railway closers was a political decision full stop!

Richard Petty
Posts: 1342
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:12 pm
Location: Farnborough
Re: POLITICS

Post by Richard Petty » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:40 pm

lanternhall wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:41 am
redblueuptoyou wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:50 am
lanternhall wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:38 am


I have absolutely no time for Cummings but I have even less for Boris Johnson.
I believe him.
Well, he has the messages (which have been verified). Nothing seems to touch Johnson though…
That is because we don't have a credible opposition and I say this as a life long Labour supporter
I agree completely with you, the lack of a credible opposition is a disaster for our politics at the moment and I say that as a lifelong Conservative supporter.

A strong opposition is vital to keep a government accountable and a smaller majority in the house is also better as it means that backbenchers within the governing party who maybe have concerns about government policy have more power to have their concerns addressed by threatening to vote against any such policy.


Post Reply