POLITICS

Post Reply
Wakefield Shots
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:50 pm
Location: West Yorkshire
Re: POLITICS

Post by Wakefield Shots » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:41 pm

Fuggletim wrote: ↑
Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:33 pm
Richard Petty wrote: ↑
Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:29 pm
This is brilliant a new Politics thread was started to stop people going off topic on the Farnborough friendly thread and now this one has morphed into a thread about extinct railways.

I might start one about trains just to see what that one turns into, probably discussion about the Farnborough friendly :lol:
Psychiatrists etc use word association as a technique to explore the hidden mysteries of the mind. I wonder what they would make of a Shotsweb thread? πŸ˜„πŸ˜„

Well I have my underpants on my head, and pencils up my nose. Wibble! :lol:

Fuggletim
Posts: 837
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:16 pm
Location: Whitehill
Re: POLITICS

Post by Fuggletim » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:42 pm

lanternhall wrote: ↑
Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:16 pm
Fuggletim wrote: ↑
Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:38 pm
lanternhall wrote: ↑
Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:30 pm
As a kid I was messing about in Ash and came across rail lines. Evidently there was another station and line there. Ash Green.
Yes there was a branch (originally the main route from Guildford) from Ash Jct (between Wanborough and Ash) and Farnham Jct (between Aldershot and Farnham) via Ash Green and Tongham.

There was quite a lot of chat about this route on this forum a few months ago, but this route succumbed in the 1950's for Passengers and Freight in the 1960's ( although it was closed between Tongham and Ash Jct) long before this.

The direct route from London to Farnham via Aldershot made this once important route a bit of a "backwater" in railway terms.

I remember the tracks in Tongham in the mid 1960's, but I think that was several years after closure.
Did Tongham have a station?

If you come into the village from the Hogs Back on The Street and pass over the mini-roundabout by the White Hart, there is a parade of shops on the left. Just beyond this, you can see Bridge Mews just down to the left. This was where Tongham Station was.

Until about 1995 there was an "Up & Over" bridge which was demolished and the road flattened out.

I always remember as a kid going down to a dog kennel in Grange Road with my neigbour and I was far more excited about the Railway next to it than her dog, even though the line had closed by then!

Richard Petty
Posts: 1342
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:12 pm
Location: Farnborough
Re: POLITICS

Post by Richard Petty » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:43 pm

lanternhall wrote: ↑
Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:33 pm
Richard Petty wrote: ↑
Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:29 pm
This is brilliant a new Politics thread was started to stop people going off topic on the Farnborough friendly thread and now this one has morphed into a thread about extinct railways.

I might start one about trains just to see what that one turns into, probably discussion about the Farnborough friendly :lol:
You don't have to read it or participate.
I was joking Lanternhall (I even said it was brilliant :D ), I actually found the stuff about the railway lines quite interesting, particularly the Isle of Wight bit. My comment was just seeing the funny side of it, hence the laughing emoji.

Shotsweb often reminds me of Ronnie Corbett when he used to sit in the big chair at the end of the show and tell a story which usually included at some point him saying "But I digress".
Last edited by Richard Petty on Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lanternhall
Posts: 1230
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:37 am
Re: POLITICS

Post by lanternhall » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:46 pm

WTF wrote: ↑
Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:38 pm
lanternhall wrote: ↑
Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:33 pm
Richard Petty wrote: ↑
Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:29 pm
This is brilliant a new Politics thread was started to stop people going off topic on the Farnborough friendly thread and now this one has morphed into a thread about extinct railways.

I might start one about trains just to see what that one turns into, probably discussion about the Farnborough friendly :lol:
You don't have to read it or participate.
I agree Lanterhall, I mentioned Doctor Beeching as he was a politician and some of the railway closers was a political decision full stop!
Full on . Some threads go off in different directions. So what?

WTF
Posts: 859
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:17 am
Re: POLITICS

Post by WTF » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:48 pm

lanternhall wrote: ↑
Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:46 pm
WTF wrote: ↑
Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:38 pm
lanternhall wrote: ↑
Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:33 pm


You don't have to read it or participate.
I agree Lanterhall, I mentioned Doctor Beeching as he was a politician and some of the railway closers was a political decision full stop!
Full on . Some threads go off in different directions. So what?
TouchΓ©!πŸ‘

WTF
Posts: 859
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:17 am
Re: POLITICS

Post by WTF » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:53 pm

Fuggletim wrote: ↑
Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:46 pm
WTF wrote: ↑
Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:54 pm
Fuggletim wrote: ↑
Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:32 pm
Well can't say too much about the IOW trains as I have been involved with the project, but there are many factors in the delays!

It would be good to see a rail link back to Newport. A lot of the trackbed still does exist, although some key parts have now gone. I am glad though the idea is being looked at seriously!

Another route looked at is restoring the link from Shanklin to Ventnor which again has a significant part of the trackbed intact, but also again a few key parts (like at Wroxhall) which has been built over. Crucially though, Ventnor Tunnel is still there and ironically is probably busier now than it ever was, because although it no longer carries train, it carries various utilities into the town like water and gas.

I did have the pleasure of travelling to Ventnor on the train when I was a kid and I think that must have been about 1965/1966 as we went over on the new fangled "Hovercraft" to Ryde!
Interesting stuff, do you live on the island?
Unfortunately not, although I did look to move over there in the mid 1980's.

My Grandmother came from the Island (Wooton) originally and over the years I have been over a lot (although I have to confess I didn't go at all between 1992 and 2006) so I kind of regard myself as an honoury "Caulkhead!"
My mate is a Pompey fan, lives on the island and works as a guard on the railway! Can't wait to try out the "new" trains on a day trip, when they are running of course lol

Cph.shots
Posts: 495
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:44 pm
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Re: POLITICS

Post by Cph.shots » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:55 pm

Fuggletim wrote: ↑
Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:42 pm
lanternhall wrote: ↑
Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:16 pm
Fuggletim wrote: ↑
Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:38 pm


Yes there was a branch (originally the main route from Guildford) from Ash Jct (between Wanborough and Ash) and Farnham Jct (between Aldershot and Farnham) via Ash Green and Tongham.

There was quite a lot of chat about this route on this forum a few months ago, but this route succumbed in the 1950's for Passengers and Freight in the 1960's ( although it was closed between Tongham and Ash Jct) long before this.

The direct route from London to Farnham via Aldershot made this once important route a bit of a "backwater" in railway terms.

I remember the tracks in Tongham in the mid 1960's, but I think that was several years after closure.
Did Tongham have a station?

If you come into the village from the Hogs Back on The Street and pass over the mini-roundabout by the White Hart, there is a parade of shops on the left. Just beyond this, you can see Bridge Mews just down to the left. This was where Tongham Station was.

Until about 1995 there was an "Up & Over" bridge which was demolished and the road flattened out.

I always remember as a kid going down to a dog kennel in Grange Road with my neigbour and I was far more excited about the Railway next to it than her dog, even though the line had closed by then!
..... And not to forget The Anchor pub which was next to or across from the station..

lanternhall
Posts: 1230
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:37 am
Re: POLITICS

Post by lanternhall » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:56 pm

Richard Petty wrote: ↑
Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:43 pm
lanternhall wrote: ↑
Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:33 pm
Richard Petty wrote: ↑
Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:29 pm
This is brilliant a new Politics thread was started to stop people going off topic on the Farnborough friendly thread and now this one has morphed into a thread about extinct railways.

I might start one about trains just to see what that one turns into, probably discussion about the Farnborough friendly :lol:
You don't have to read it or participate.
I was joking Lanternhall (I even said it was brilliant :D ), I actually found the stuff about the railway lines quite interesting, particularly the Isle of Wight bit. My comment was just seeing the funny side of it, hence the laughing emoji.

Shotsweb often reminds me of Ronnie Corbett when he used to sit in the big chair at the end of the show and tell a story which usually included at some point him saying "But I digress".
Fair play. I always find your posts interesting.

Richard Petty
Posts: 1342
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:12 pm
Location: Farnborough
Re: POLITICS

Post by Richard Petty » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:58 pm

Fuggletim wrote: ↑
Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:32 pm
Well can't say too much about the IOW trains as I have been involved with the project, but there are many factors in the delays!

It would be good to see a rail link back to Newport. A lot of the trackbed still does exist, although some key parts have now gone. I am glad though the idea is being looked at seriously!

Another route looked at is restoring the link from Shanklin to Ventnor which again has a significant part of the trackbed intact, but also again a few key parts (like at Wroxhall) which has been built over. Crucially though, Ventnor Tunnel is still there and ironically is probably busier now than it ever was, because although it no longer carries train, it carries various utilities into the town like water and gas.

I did have the pleasure of travelling to Ventnor on the train when I was a kid and I think that must have been about 1965/1966 as we went over on the new fangled "Hovercraft" to Ryde!
Is there any room either side of where the old line has been built over to add a new section as the line from Shanklin to Ventnor would probably be very popular.

IanShots
Posts: 199
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:12 pm
Re: POLITICS

Post by IanShots » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:47 pm

Richard Petty wrote: ↑
Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:40 pm
lanternhall wrote: ↑
Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:41 am
redblueuptoyou wrote: ↑
Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:50 am


Well, he has the messages (which have been verified). Nothing seems to touch Johnson though…
That is because we don't have a credible opposition and I say this as a life long Labour supporter
I agree completely with you, the lack of a credible opposition is a disaster for our politics at the moment and I say that as a lifelong Conservative supporter.

A strong opposition is vital to keep a government accountable and a smaller majority in the house is also better as it means that backbenchers within the governing party who maybe have concerns about government policy have more power to have their concerns addressed by threatening to vote against any such policy.
The lack of a credible opposition is a problem, however you decided to leave out the fact that the lack of a credible government is an even bigger problem.

I understand why, as you are a conservative member BUT you must be finding it very hard going right now as you always seem, and I am sure you are a very decent fellow on here. That is the problem with being a member of a party sometimes, towing the party line is incredibly tough if you are a person of principles, I tried it myself a few years ago and could see that I was just a maverick as a member of a party,

This country seriously needs a form of PR to allow for better representation. The current system is in essence corrupt, and totally undemocratic. You will attain better government if parties are forced to work together more.

Reg's corner
Posts: 275
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:37 pm
Re: POLITICS

Post by Reg's corner » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:16 pm

Good show from faraje last night and good contributions from an mp. He's suddenly popped out of the woodwork and bringing up issues to the discussion table that many journalists have been frightened to bring up, looks like there's a sea change since they gave us hancock.. Some of these subjects were taboo a few months back.. The present no10 incumbents are looking for a place to run off to (with our money) lol.. Politics eh..

Localshot
Posts: 298
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:31 am
Re: POLITICS

Post by Localshot » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:17 pm

The problem with most politics throughout the modern world is you are either one side or the other. There must be some decisions that have the agreement of all parties but it seems that everything has to be argued against with the opposite view. A middle ground would be well worth fighting for.

I have little time for Kuennsberg. She does not understand the voters wishes and was also in the pocket of Cummings when he was working for/with Johnson. She tries to influence politics rather than reporting on it in a fair and even-handed way.

Richard Petty
Posts: 1342
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:12 pm
Location: Farnborough
Re: POLITICS

Post by Richard Petty » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:22 pm

IanShots wrote: ↑
Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:47 pm
Richard Petty wrote: ↑
Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:40 pm
lanternhall wrote: ↑
Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:41 am


That is because we don't have a credible opposition and I say this as a life long Labour supporter
I agree completely with you, the lack of a credible opposition is a disaster for our politics at the moment and I say that as a lifelong Conservative supporter.

A strong opposition is vital to keep a government accountable and a smaller majority in the house is also better as it means that backbenchers within the governing party who maybe have concerns about government policy have more power to have their concerns addressed by threatening to vote against any such policy.
The lack of a credible opposition is a problem, however you decided to leave out the fact that the lack of a credible government is an even bigger problem.

I understand why, as you are a conservative member BUT you must be finding it very hard going right now as you always seem, and I am sure you are a very decent fellow on here. That is the problem with being a member of a party sometimes, towing the party line is incredibly tough if you are a person of principles, I tried it myself a few years ago and could see that I was just a maverick as a member of a party,

This country seriously needs a form of PR to allow for better representation. The current system is in essence corrupt, and totally undemocratic. You will attain better government if parties are forced to work together more.
I think you make some good observations and raise a point about towing the party line that I believe warrants the respect of an honest answer.

I may be a conservative and because of my personal political views probably always will be however that does not stop me from despairing sometimes at some of the the things that the leadership do and say nor does it stop me from respecting the political views of others who support different parties and have a different perspective on how our country should be run. It also doesn't stop me from accepting that one party doesn't always get everything right or everything wrong. You may or may not recall that last year on here I said that if anyone other than Corbyn, McDonnel and Abbot etc... were running labour when Covid started then I would have advocated a coalition group to manage the pandemic.

Right now I would give anything to see someone else leading the conservative party and therefore running the country, Boris is (to use polite language) an Ass, a buffoon, an egotist and frankly a disaster. Put it this way it comes to something when you listen to Dominic Cummings (a completely discredited man) telling tales about Boris and cant decide which of them is telling the truth.

Labour under Jeremy Corbyn was so badly damaged that it will be years before they may once again be a credible alternative and thats if Keir Starmer can somehow manage to unite them which isn't looking too good at the moment. I think it will take a further change of leader before the Labour Party can gain the support across the country that it will need to effect a challenge. If I was to pick the one person who in my opinion could unite Labour its Lisa Nandy she is somehow both right and left of centre at the same time and is that very rare breed of politician who actually answers a question and seems to do so honestly.
Last edited by Richard Petty on Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lanternhall
Posts: 1230
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:37 am
Re: POLITICS

Post by lanternhall » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:24 pm

We don't have a credible government but they have a big majority. I am a socialist and think Labour is finished.
Of course we should have PR but unfortunately people don't think for themselves and it won't happen.
I'm sorry but we have the most incompetent government for god knows how long and still ahead in opinion curves.
Sorry I have given up. The British people are basically stupid. You get what you deserve.

WTF
Posts: 859
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:17 am
Re: POLITICS

Post by WTF » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:28 pm

Richard Petty wrote: ↑
Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:58 pm
Fuggletim wrote: ↑
Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:32 pm
Well can't say too much about the IOW trains as I have been involved with the project, but there are many factors in the delays!

It would be good to see a rail link back to Newport. A lot of the trackbed still does exist, although some key parts have now gone. I am glad though the idea is being looked at seriously!

Another route looked at is restoring the link from Shanklin to Ventnor which again has a significant part of the trackbed intact, but also again a few key parts (like at Wroxhall) which has been built over. Crucially though, Ventnor Tunnel is still there and ironically is probably busier now than it ever was, because although it no longer carries train, it carries various utilities into the town like water and gas.

I did have the pleasure of travelling to Ventnor on the train when I was a kid and I think that must have been about 1965/1966 as we went over on the new fangled "Hovercraft" to Ryde!
Is there any room either side of where the old line has been built over to add a new section as the line from Shanklin to Ventnor would probably be very popular.
From my friend on the island Richard, most of the line to Ventnor is still there but a bridge would need to be built from Shanklin station over the main road.


Post Reply