O/T - tennis tonight

Anon E Mouse
Re: O/T - tennis tonight

Post by Anon E Mouse » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:58 pm

Well done Emma.

Tad overshadowed by the poor sportsmanship from her opponent after the injury and hogging the limelight at the presentation.

Amazing performance from a qualifyer. She will be a great.

redblueuptoyou

Post by redblueuptoyou » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:02 am

Richard Petty wrote: โ†‘
Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:56 pm
Fantastic matcb, two brilliant players who are a credit to the game. Amazing to have a qualifying player win a grand slam which has never happened before.

Best of all after the terrible year and a half tbat we have all had isnt it wonderful to have something to celebrate ๐Ÿ˜Š
This could be the start of a brilliant rivalry over the next decade or so. Both have great futures ahead of them.

Also brilliant of Prime and Channel 4 to sort the deal so quickly. Apparently 4 insisted the (substantial) fee they paid is put into the development of womenโ€™s tennis in the UK - and they agreed.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:07 am

Anon E Mouse wrote: โ†‘
Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:58 pm
Well done Emma.

Tad overshadowed by the poor sportsmanship from her opponent after the injury and hogging the limelight at the presentation.

Her opponent spoke well at the presentation. She was admittedly frustrated at the moment of the injury - but given that she is 19 and it was the biggest moment of her life I think it was understandable!

Richard Petty

Post by Richard Petty » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:07 am

redblueuptoyou wrote: โ†‘
Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:02 am
Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:56 pm
Fantastic matcb, two brilliant players who are a credit to the game. Amazing to have a qualifying player win a grand slam which has never happened before.

Best of all after the terrible year and a half tbat we have all had isnt it wonderful to have something to celebrate ๐Ÿ˜Š
This could be the start of a brilliant rivalry over the next decade or so. Both have great futures ahead of them.

Also brilliant of Prime and Channel 4 to sort the deal so quickly. Apparently 4 insisted the (substantial) fee they paid is put into the development of womenโ€™s tennis in the UK - and they agreed.
The TV deal was really good news. I badnt heard about tbe condition of how tbe fee is spent but that is perfect if the case

AFC197273

Post by AFC197273 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:10 am

Brilliant display of tennis from both players.
Both girls fought for every point,never gave ground and showed great mental strength for the whole match.Very eloquent too in their after match interviews.
Our multiple coaching staff and manager should take note and pass it onto our team,maybe then we will stop switching off 5 minutes before the end of games and at half time.
Raducanu dug deep and got over the line sadly something we cannot seem to do, which speaks volumes about the backroom staff rather than our budget.
Well done Emma you cheered my day up.

Richard Petty

Post by Richard Petty » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:22 am

MikeB wrote: โ†‘
Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:07 am
Well done Emma.

Her opponent spoke well at the presentation. She was admittedly frustrated at the moment of the injury - but given that she is 19 and it was the biggest moment of her life I think it was understandable!
I also thought her presentation was very good. Asjde of their skill on tbe court for both of them so young to be able to speak so confidently and eloquently is impressive

Richard Petty

Post by Richard Petty » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:29 am

AFC197273 wrote: โ†‘
Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:10 am
Brilliant display of tennis from both players.
Both girls fought for every point,never gave ground and showed great mental strength for the whole match.Very eloquent too in their after match interviews.
Our multiple coaching staff and manager should take note and pass it onto our team,maybe then we will stop switching off 5 minutes before the end of games and at half time.
Raducanu dug deep and got over the line sadly something we cannot seem to do, which speaks volumes about the backroom staff rather than our budget.
Well done Emma you cheered my day up.
I agree with everything you say about the two gjrls and there performance but lets please keep this thread as a celebration of the tennis with no mention of football or comparisons. โ˜บ

AFC197273

Post by AFC197273 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:06 am

Apologies,I was just reflecting on the two sporting events I witnessed yesterday,one an example of mental fragility poorly coached against one of mental toughness well coached. Additionally, Raducanu and Fernandez are both very young which i thought drew worthy comparison but point taken.
Again ,congratulations Emma.

bordon shot

Post by bordon shot » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:20 am

Well done Emma.

No worse than the amount of time it was taking to deal with a little graze on the knee, which is what she was probably complaining about. Fernandez was starting to come back at Radicanu & had her rattled, so I can understand her being upset. It was a great game of tennis to watch & for Emma to win a grand slam tournament without dropping a set, underlines what a great player she will turn out to be..We havenโ€™t seen the last of these 2 IMO. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

supershots

Post by supershots » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:30 am

bordon shot wrote: โ†‘
Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:20 am
Well done Emma.

No worse than the amount of time it was taking to deal with a little graze on the knee, which is what she was probably complaining about. Fernandez was starting to come back at Radicanu & had her rattled, so I can understand her being upset. It was a great game of tennis to watch & for Emma to win a grand slam tournament without dropping a set, underlines what a great player she will turn out to be..We havenโ€™t seen the last of these 2 IMO. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
Fernandez needs to grow up, it was quite right to treat and cover an open wound, I knew when I saw Fernandez crying to the umpire that she was not getting back into that match. She was well beaten and knew it.

Anon E Mouse

Post by Anon E Mouse » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:07 am

Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:22 am
Well done Emma.

I also thought her presentation was very good. Asjde of their skill on tbe court for both of them so young to be able to speak so confidently and eloquently is impressive
Didn't say it wasn't good, just think she hogged it and overshadowed the winner somewhat.
Also the screaming within earshot of Emma, to the officials re the injury time out and her entourage bearating from the box.
Just took the edge off it for me. Poor sports and a touch of spoilt child.com in my opinion.
Couldn't of imagined it would of happened the other way round.

Anyway Emma won't care now with a shiny silver trophy, a plaster on her knee and massive cheque in her back pocket. :D

Richard Petty

Post by Richard Petty » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:31 pm

Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:07 am

Didn't say it wasn't good, just think she hogged it and overshadowed the winner somewhat.
Also the screaming within earshot of Emma, to the officials re the injury time out and her entourage bearating from the box.
Just took the edge off it for me. Poor sports and a touch of spoilt child.com in my opinion.

Anyway Emma won't care now with a shiny silver trophy, a plaster on her knee and massive cheque in her back pocket. :D
I agree with you about the tantrum she was having while Emma was having her cut seen to and she probably contributed to her own downfall as she allowed it to distract her focus. Mind you the length of time that the treatment took was pretty shocking. Should have taken just a couple of minutes, give it a wipe, put some antiseptic on it, stick on a plaster and good to go.

redblueuptoyou

Post by redblueuptoyou » Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:38 pm

At 18, itโ€™s probably the first time Emma has even seen a chequeโ€ฆ

Anon E Mouse

Post by Anon E Mouse » Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:42 pm

redblueuptoyou wrote: โ†‘
Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:38 pm
At 18, itโ€™s probably the first time Emma has even seen a chequeโ€ฆ
What a first one to see.

Anon E Mouse

Post by Anon E Mouse » Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:44 pm

Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:31 pm
Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:07 am

I agree with you about the tantrum she was having while Emma was having her cut seen to and she probably contributed to her own downfall as she allowed it to distract her focus. Mind you the length of time that the treatment took was pretty shocking. Should have taken just a couple of minutes, give it a wipe, put some antiseptic on it, stick on a plaster and good to go.
Not 100% sure but think the medical time outs are a set time and not to do with the severity of the injury. Anyway it was genuinely needed and she would of won whatever I think. Slightly the better player.