Unwanted records

Royston Figgis
Re: Unwanted records

Post by Royston Figgis » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:02 pm

Bob wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:54 pm
5 games in 42 years is incredible, great effort
Thanks Bob, unlike you I have not been to anywhere near as many away games though!

shotsboy66

Post by shotsboy66 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:11 pm

Royston Figgis wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:35 pm
Aldershot_Rob wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:27 pm
Birdman wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:14 am
Our lowest home Conference attendance that I recalled was in season 14/15 when we lost at home to Macclesfield 1-0. It was Wednesday 10th of December and the attendance was 966. Poor performances, a cold winters evening and possibly some European footy on the telly all contributed to that figure. Sadly, I feel that that figure could well be beaten.

That season :- https://ipfs.fleek.co/ipfs/QmXoypizjW3W ... eason.html
I was one of the 966, sadly I remember it well. I wonder how many other users of the forum were also there that night.
I was there. I have only missed 5 home games since 1979 in any competition (apart from covid of course).
However I did not buy a season ticket this season, for the first time in years, and I am now considering not attending again until the BOD takes some positive action to save the club from oblivion. Without meaning to sound dramatic, it hurts but I feel I have to protest in some way.
Wow Royston- that is an amazing attendee record. When did you start following Aldershot? For my part is was towards the end of the 75/76 relegation season. Like yourself my frustration is with BoD.

Rather than a tour of duty- many of us will soon be having a dereliction of duty at this rate. Where did it all go wrong?

Royston Figgis

Post by Royston Figgis » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:13 pm

Danny's Shovel wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:43 pm
Royston Figgis wrote:
Aldershot_Rob wrote:

I was one of the 966, sadly I remember it well. I wonder how many other users of the forum were also there that night.
I was there. I have only missed 5 home games since 1979 in any competition (apart from covid of course).
However I did not buy a season ticket this season, for the first time in years, and I am now considering not attending again until the BOD takes some positive action to save the club from oblivion. Without meaning to sound dramatic, it hurts but I feel I have to protest in some way.
Wow, very decent effort Royston, yep the same won't be attending now until something gives from the club.
It is sad Danny, however the point I was making was that in that time we have seen some terrible performances and poor management - but never as bad as what we have now. The current board deserve a lot of praise in other respects but in terms of the football management they are startlingly inept. It becomes difficult to want to financially support the regime when one doubts their priorities and intent. I wonder how long it will be before they use MB to get the begging bowl out again - this cannot go on.

Danny's Shovel

Post by Danny's Shovel » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:18 pm

Royston Figgis wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:13 pm
Danny's Shovel wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:43 pm
Royston Figgis wrote:

Wow, very decent effort Royston, yep the same won't be attending now until something gives from the club.
It is sad Danny, however the point I was making was that in that time we have seen some terrible performances and poor management - but never as bad as what we have now. The current board deserve a lot of praise in other respects but in terms of the football management they are startlingly inept. It becomes difficult to want to financially support the regime when one doubts their priorities and intent. I wonder how long it will be before they use MB to get the begging bowl out again - this cannot go on.
Totally agree Figgis

Bob

Post by Bob » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:22 pm

Royston Figgis wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:02 pm
Bob wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:54 pm
5 games in 42 years is incredible, great effort
Thanks Bob, unlike you I have not been to anywhere near as many away games though!
Well I’m going to Southend coz I’m not correct upstairs but then again I’ve never been correct 😎

Birdman

Post by Birdman » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:27 pm

Old Bob wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:08 pm
Aldershot_Rob wrote:
Birdman wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:14 am
Our lowest home Conference attendance that I recalled was in season 14/15 when we lost at home to Macclesfield 1-0. It was Wednesday 10th of December and the attendance was 966. Poor performances, a cold winters evening and possibly some European footy on the telly all contributed to that figure. Sadly, I feel that that figure could well be beaten.

That season :- https://ipfs.fleek.co/ipfs/QmXoypizjW3W ... eason.html
Not Old Bob. He was at the Christmas supper at his gentleman's club.
I can’t say that I’ve heard ‘Tiffany’s’ called that before.

Royston Figgis

Post by Royston Figgis » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:34 pm

shotsboy66 wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:11 pm
Royston Figgis wrote:
Aldershot_Rob wrote:

Wow Royston- that is an amazing attendee record. When did you start following Aldershot? For my part is was towards the end of the 75/76 relegation season. Like yourself my frustration is with BoD.

Rather than a tour of duty- many of us will soon be having a dereliction of duty at this rate. Where did it all go wrong?
Thanks 66, it's not impressive at all really.
I started in 1979-80 season but also when I started playing in groundsman Dave Tomlinson's boys team we used to get complimentary tickets just behind the dugouts. I was in the same team as his son, Chris. After this, and because of the connection, we all became ballboys.
All this meant that I saw the inner workings of the club as a boy and got into every game free and spent many hours at the club.
Then when house hunting later at age 20 I made sure I bought one very close to the Rec, so easy to get to every game with no trouble. That is still the case now so no great effort on my part I can assure you!
The old club operated at a level above this one and against the odds; when the club reformed it still had that fighting spirit.
Now the club accepts mediocrity. This is where it goes wrong for any football club.

shotsboy66

Post by shotsboy66 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:56 pm

Royston Figgis wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:34 pm
shotsboy66 wrote:
Royston Figgis wrote:

I started in 1979-80 season but also when I started playing in groundsman Dave Tomlinson's boys team we used to get complimentary tickets just behind the dugouts. I was in the same team as his son, Chris. After this, and because of the connection, we all became ballboys.
All this meant that I saw the inner workings of the club as a boy and got into every game free and spent many hours at the club.
Then when house hunting later at age 20 I made sure I bought one very close to the Rec, so easy to get to every game with no trouble. That is still the case now so no great effort on my part I can assure you!
The old club operated at a level above this one and against the odds; when the club reformed it still had that fighting spirit.
Now the club accepts mediocrity. This is where it goes wrong for any football club.
Interesting story Royston. The old AFC battled away ruffling a few feathers. Len Walker made some decent transfer fees for the club- Lange, Foyle, Claridge, Randall, Barnes (2), Banton, Burvill. Randall etc...The old Supporters club gave sterling service raising many thousands of ££ during the 60s/70s.

Your last sentence sums it all up today..accepting mediocrity. At this rate the Bromley/Weymouth home games will see sub 1,000 gates if the BoD don`t take action...their silence is deafening!

Royston Figgis

Post by Royston Figgis » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:36 pm

shotsboy66 wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:56 pm
Royston Figgis wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:34 pm
shotsboy66 wrote:

Interesting story Royston. The old AFC battled away ruffling a few feathers. Len Walker made some decent transfer fees for the club- Lange, Foyle, Claridge, Randall, Barnes (2), Banton, Burvill. Randall etc...The old Supporters club gave sterling service raising many thousands of ££ during the 60s/70s.

Your last sentence sums it all up today..accepting mediocrity. At this rate the Bromley/Weymouth home games will see sub 1,000 gates if the BoD don`t take action...their silence is deafening!
Thank you 66. The thing about AFC, and you can still verify this by nostalgically looking through old quotes from opposition managers and players, newspaper reports, biographies etc, is that we were known for playing good football - as opposed to the majority of other teams in a division of tough no-nonsense agricultural football. The late seventies team and then early eighties red and blue striped teams were beautiful to watch but had that slightly soft underbelly away from home. The names you mention only serve to remind us how far we have fallen in terms of quality players wearing the red and blue.
This trying to play good football is what I miss. When I see KLF aimlessly punting the ball forward under absolutely no pressure I shudder. So much for Searle's FIFA pro licence or whatever it is.
The old supporters club funded much of the ground's infastructure. The new 'independent' one just hands money over to be thrown into a black hole. I'm sure as an independent supporters' body, they will be just as worried as us about the performance on the field and the lack of information about the lease etc, and will be pushing for answers

Bob

Post by Bob » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:57 pm

What an underated player Ian McDonald was

Royston Figgis

Post by Royston Figgis » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:18 pm

Bob wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:57 pm
Absolutely Bob: when Shankly signed him for Liverpool he said he was going to be star for them, but he got an injury and struggled to get back from that. I think he's the best passer of a ball I ever saw at the Rec; so cultured. Also scored some brilliant goals.

The man also performed miracles keeping the club going, in that final season single handedly, working on a zero budget with no-one getting paid (13 weeks at a time I think) and no-one training. We had kids and bricklayers and a couple of old pros and we were never disgraced in those games, and they all said they did it for Ian Mac. We treated the players like heroes in those last few games. He deserves the legendary status he has at this club.

This is brought more into focus for me when I hear Searle in his videos moaning about the budget. Makes me sick. There's no one putting a gun to your head Danny, don't put yourself through this agony - just walk away.

Bob

Post by Bob » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:34 pm

Royston Figgis wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:18 pm
Bob wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:57 pm
Absolutely Bob: when Shankly signed him for Liverpool he said he was going to be star for them, but he got an injury and struggled to get back from that. I think he's the best passer of a ball I ever saw at the Rec; so cultured. Also scored some brilliant goals.

The man also performed miracles keeping the club going, in that final season single handedly, working on a zero budget with no-one getting paid (13 weeks at a time I think) and no-one training. We had kids and bricklayers and a couple of old pros and we were never disgraced in those games, and they all said they did it for Ian Mac. We treated the players like heroes in those last few games. He deserves the legendary status he has at this club.

This is brought more into focus for me when I hear Searle in his videos moaning about the budget. Makes me sick. There's no one putting a gun to your head Danny, don't put yourself through this agony - just walk away.
👍👍