Re: Does anyone want Searle to stay?

Post by Richard Petty » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:52 pm

Royston Figgis wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:45 pm
Richard Petty wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:39 pm
supershots wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:49 pm

You mean six (Richard Petty & Supershots)
On what basis are you including me or are you just making assumptions.

If your thinking back to supershots post on page one the Ricbard he was referring to was Rich Shot not me.
Quite right Richard, reading between the lines of your recent posts I believe your thoughts are clear on this subject
I bave only just realised it was actualy Supershots I was replying to so tbe bit I said about was he mixing me up wjth Rich Shot was a bit daft. 😂

lowerbourneshot

Post by lowerbourneshot » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:55 pm

Birdman wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:16 pm
I see that three clubs are mentioned in this thread, Macclesfield, Barrow and Sutton, with the first two shown as examples of achieving with little money insofar as having a “relegation/lower league budget”.
As they are being used as a ‘successful’ example, I think that it’s only fair to point out that Macclesfield who were NL champions in 2018 were relegated back to the NL in 2020 due in part to frequently failing to pay their players and as a result suffering points deductions. Due to ongoing financial problems they were liquidated in September last year and its Phoenix club now play in the NW Counties League at step five of the pyramid. This means that they are eligible to play in the FA Vase this season. I’m not disrespecting that competition as that is where we competed when we reformed, I’m merely pointing out the level at which the new club is starting at.
I actually feel we are back at 1991 and feel we will go pop again . This time i honestly would walk away and would have no interest in a phoenix club and i think many other would follow.

GetShotDownunder

Post by GetShotDownunder » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:57 pm

Admit I was nonplussed at the re-appointment but a few things to consider......

Terms of the contract?
Would payout money be better spent on the incomplete squad?
Who else would want to job without backing from the board?

As per last season am still sitting on the "bring in an experienced adviser fence".... someone to play bad cop.

Danny's Shovel

Post by Danny's Shovel » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:02 pm

Get rid of Searle and his coaches, put him on gardening leave as mentioned elsewhere cheap and affordabale.

Get in Mark Molesey loves the club and sometimes is in with Rob doing Comms, 2 promotions in 3 seasons as a boss with a small budget, has contacts, very likeable and well regarded with the fans.

With less coaches on the books this will free up substantial budget for players, well it should do!

Oliver11

Post by Oliver11 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:06 pm

All this rubbish we can't pay him off doesn't wash.

Get a new manager in and straight off you'll add 500 to the gate - that's £10,000.

Whats Searle actually on, probably no more than £50,000 so that's 5 matches to break even.

Get on a run and we're ahead of the game, if the new manager is as bad (probably not possible) then were f*ck*d anyway

Old Bob
Re: Does anybody want Searle to stay

Post by Old Bob » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:08 pm

HarryTom wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:04 pm
Old Bob wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:45 pm
HarryTom wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:26 pm

No , sorry i can't. not taking any ! My personal opinion, of which i am entitled, is that i do believe he and the team have got a lot more to offer than we have seen so far, Bad start i agree, but i do think things will turn soon. I will back him and the team all the way, but if the board decide to change the manager, so be it, but until then , i am in the Danny Stay camp.
HT, please don't think I'm getting at you, but I don't reckon "It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it" gets you very far. I know it's a very popular thing to say, I hear it all the time.

Yes, everyone is entitled to an opinion, it's just that some opinions are a bit hard to fathom :lol: Also, opinions backed up with facts and figures, plus a bit of persuasive argument, are generally worth more than unsupported opinions.

That's just my opinion, of course!

So why do you think that the team has a lot more to offer than we have seen? I struggle to see what you see. And why do you think things will turn soon? The best guide to the future is what has happened in the past. (I refer you to celebrated Scottish philosopher David Hume on that one.) And what has happened under Danny Searle throughout his time as manager gives me no great cause for optimism.
Don't think it would matter what argument i put forward as to my way of thinking, it would be quickly jumped on by all the ''Get Rid Of Danny Now''
brigade, so i will leave it at that Old Bob.
But HarryTom, the way I see, if you are afraid of people jumping on your arguments, you cannot have a lot of confidence in them.

As for me, I just tell everyone what I think and why I think it. If I get counter-arguments back, well and good. We can then have a good old natter about it. Maybe their arguments are better than mine, and I take that on board. If I get jumped on, by which I guess you mean someone comes back with a load of personal insults, I get my voodoo doll out and stick pins in it.

Aldershot_Rob

Post by Aldershot_Rob » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:09 pm

The Board should dip into their own pockets for the calamitous mistake they made in giving a further 2 years...

Unless of course this is part of the master plan.... 🤔

Aldershot_Rob

Post by Aldershot_Rob » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:11 pm

To be fair, Old Bob. I've often disagreed with you on things , however I've not been able to put better the arguments against Danny. You have written and summed up succinctly how I think.

Old Bob

Post by Old Bob » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:16 pm

GetShotDownunder wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:57 pm

In case you hadn't noticed, Gazzunder, there's a dramatic over-supply of football managers. There's way more of 'em than there are jobs. And believe it or not, some of them are better than Danny Searle. (Hard to believe, I know.)

That "Who else would want the job?" stuff has never cut it with me.

Old Bob

Post by Old Bob » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:21 pm

Aldershot_Rob wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:11 pm
To be fair, Old Bob. I've often disagreed with you on things , however I've not been able to put better the arguments against Danny. You have written and summed up succinctly how I think.
Nice one, Rob. Thank you. I have no problem with you disagreeing with me. Disagreement can be good. I reckon if you have an opinion on something, you should want to know what others think of it ... what are the best arguments against it.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:30 pm

Old Bob wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:16 pm
GetShotDownunder wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:57 pm

In case you hadn't noticed, Gazzunder, there's a dramatic over-supply of football managers. There's way more of 'em than there are jobs. And believe it or not, some of them are better than Danny Searle. (Hard to believe, I know.)

That "Who else would want the job?" stuff has never cut it with me.
Yes, I agree that someone else would want the job. What we can't do is to assume that any particular individual (e.g. Mark Molesley) would want it, so we can't say "bring in Molesley" as if he is just sitting at home waiting for the Shots to call.

GetShotDownunder

Post by GetShotDownunder » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:00 am

Sorry should have stated, someone picky/good enough to have proven record to uphold..... For mine the main issue is the limited unbalanced squad DS has assembled, maybe he should be sacked for that but who is to say the next guy will do any better? I do agree there is at least the lure of a rebuild from NLS next season for any potential candidates.

Just leaving the door open for a saviour either part time or not wanting to be as invested in the job and thinking out loud as always :roll:

ShotOnTarget

Post by ShotOnTarget » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:39 am

The saying goes "once is chance, twice is coincidence, three times is a pattern"

I would keep him as the rule above applies to managerial appointments at Aldershot and it is lunacy to believe a new manager would be *guaranteed* to change things. The statistical pattern suggests otherwise and the board would look even worse if a further managerial appointment went the same way.

Years ago, the Aldershot job was sought after. I do wonder if the exact opposite is now true.

For what it's worth, is it time to try and secure a Director of football to bridge the gap between a BoD focused on other matters and a manager who might benefit from a voice of experience and an extra pair of hands? Are there no ex-players or managers who would undertake such a role on a 'no win no fee' basis?

chimpster99

Post by chimpster99 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:49 am

[quote="Moving Shot" post_id=672142 time=1631552920 user_id=4525]
Barry Smith - Done reasonably well at Raith nearly getting promotion (missed out in the play-offs) in his first season there.
[/quote]

To be honest Barry's record since he left here has been pretty wretched. Did ok at East Fife and in his early days at Roath Ravers, but it then went pear-shaped and a was followed by a disaster at Brechin. He ended up in part-time assistant roles at under-performing Forfar and Dumbarton. He's recently been appointed as coach of a newly-formed 4th tier team in the US watched by 3 men and a dog, but hasn't been able to start the job due to Covid travel restrictions.

CH

Post by CH » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:33 am

I think Mark Molesely would be an excellent appointment, if only until the end of the season.

Loves the club
Popular with fans
Knows the club
Knows the league
Experienced success
Sensible and level headed
Understands the value of a tough enforced midfield.