STOCKPORT v ALDERSHOT REVIEW

Preston Shot
Re: STOCKPORT v ALDERSHOT REVIEW

Post by Preston Shot » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:04 pm

Stenhouse wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:48 pm
Don't give up posting on here Mr B. Messrs Petty, Royle and you are just about the only decent posters on Shotsweb.
Thanks Stenhouse :D

Giles

Post by Giles » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:23 pm

I'd struggle with the idea of Matt Rhead playing for us, he's up there with Garland, Trevor Senior & David Crown in my little black book of players I hate most. Mcnulty i would have had no question, what a defender he was/is? But lets face it both are shirley past it now.

Old Bob

Post by Old Bob » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:35 pm

Preston Shot wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:04 pm
Stenhouse wrote:
Don't give up posting on here Mr B. Messrs Petty, Royle and you are just about the only decent posters on Shotsweb.
And thank you, Mr Stenhouse, for the ringing endorsement of my good self. Very much appreciated.

Old Bob

Post by Old Bob » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:53 pm

Alan B wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:03 am
Hi Shotsboy, try to ignore the trolls - you will notice how some Shotsweb posters are quick to denigrate other people's opinions but cannot offer any constructive views of their own 🙄

I'm getting to the stage of not bothering to post on here in future. So many childish comments...
This is a very puzzling post. I've looked at the comments following Alan B's post about Matt Rhead and found nothing that is denigratory or destructive or childish. I've found people (myself included) who disagree that Rhead would be a valuable addition to our team, and people (myself included) who express their views in robust fashion, but that is the life and soul of a fan's bulletin board. Also, these posts do offer constructive counter-views, so I do not understand Alan's problem. The closest I can find to anything objectionable is Poppy Seed's use of the word "silly", but this is pretty mild stuff. I detect that Poppy is someone who likes to make her posts "interesting", and I see nothing wrong in that. I do too.

I have certainly gained the impression that Alan's posts (particularly the ratings) are vey much enjoyed and appreciated by all. I am definitely in this category. So I can only think that there has been some misunderstanding here.

Stenhouse

Post by Stenhouse » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:09 pm

Old Bob wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:35 pm
Preston Shot wrote:
Stenhouse wrote:
And thank you, Mr Stenhouse, for the ringing endorsement of my good self. Very much appreciated.
Sorry Preston and Old Bob, amongst others. Your posts are also good! :lol: Apologies if I have offended anyone with a sensitive disposition... :lol:

Old Bob

Post by Old Bob » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:23 pm

Stenhouse wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:09 pm
Old Bob wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:35 pm
Preston Shot wrote:

Sorry Preston and Old Bob, amongst others. Your posts are also good! :lol: Apologies if I have offended anyone with a sensitive disposition... :lol:
Not at all offended, Stenhouse. In fact, it gave me a bit of a chuckle.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:05 am

Old Bob wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:53 pm
Alan B wrote:
Hi Shotsboy, try to ignore the trolls - you will notice how some Shotsweb posters are quick to denigrate other people's opinions but cannot offer any constructive views of their own 🙄

I'm getting to the stage of not bothering to post on here in future. So many childish comments...
This is a very puzzling post. I've looked at the comments following Alan B's post about Matt Rhead and found nothing that is denigratory or destructive or childish. I've found people (myself included) who disagree that Rhead would be a valuable addition to our team, and people (myself included) who express their views in robust fashion, but that is the life and soul of a fan's bulletin board. Also, these posts do offer constructive counter-views, so I do not understand Alan's problem. The closest I can find to anything objectionable is Poppy Seed's use of the word "silly", but this is pretty mild stuff. I detect that Poppy is someone who likes to make her posts "interesting", and I see nothing wrong in that. I do too.

I have certainly gained the impression that Alan's posts (particularly the ratings) are vey much enjoyed and appreciated by all. I am definitely in this category. So I can only think that there has been some misunderstanding here.
I agree with this. I appreciate Alan's ratings, as many of us do. He suggested Rhead as a possible solution, but others pointed out (using stats) that Rhead's prolific days are behind him. Alan has already said that "troll" wasn't a good choice of word. I suggest we all move on.

Sean Chambers

Post by Sean Chambers » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:22 am

Matt Rhead of a few seasons ago would have been decent but most definitely not now.

Dr Jim Royle

Post by Dr Jim Royle » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:39 pm

but Rhead is just the sort of player we need.
The way I read Mr B's thoughts were,although very unlikely Rhead would move south, he is the TYPE of player we lack up front. And I agree. We cannot keep hold of the ball long enough for support to arrive, we don't bully defenders enough to create havoc or create chances and we are no threat height wise winning headers.

I'd still like to see our defence strengthened personally.

Me Mums a Shot

Post by Me Mums a Shot » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:03 pm

He's also the type of player that we need in midfield to a certain degree.

Someone who can dish it out a bit, experienced and just does the basics really well but with a nasty streak to them as well.

I guess what I'm saying is a nasty so and so!

Lots of teams in this league have one.

poppy seed

Post by poppy seed » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:05 pm

Old Bob wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:53 pm
Alan B wrote:

First up, I was accused of being a troll, but it’s ok because it was written late at night and ‘I’m tired’, then the criticism moved on to denigration and finally disparaging.

Old Bob is spot on. ‘Silly’ is hardly a use of English that could be considered to be denigratory, or indeed disparaging, and certainly when set in context with the player recruitment plan put forward by Mr B. The idea that some fat and old, once a good player, that we all disliked, should be considered for employment by the Shots, is in my opinion, silly.

However, the more serious point is as follows; the obverse of Alan B’s dismissal of comments made by younger supporters is, that I have no time for those who believe that they live on a higher plane to me.

I meet such men every day of the week with my business, ‘when is the boss going to arrive to complete our agreement?’ And I certainly will not put up with it on this playful (or is it) message board.

If I’m to be classed as a younger supporter that’s good, but take note, if I were invited to offer advice in respect of a Shots business strategy, then I would be very silly if I set out in such ebullient detail that Matt Rhead is the answer to our current plight. (Sorry Old Bob if I used your dreaded word, ‘business’)

Be ‘interesting’.