STOCKPORT v ALDERSHOT REVIEW

Alan B
STOCKPORT v ALDERSHOT REVIEW

Post by Alan B » Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:59 pm

I think I might have mentioned it before, but, for me personally, following Aldershot Town FC is not just about the football but the whole matchday experience. So if the non-match related action doesn’t interest you, I suggest you skip along to the ratings at the end.

This was just my second away trip this season, the first being the game at Notts County where I was honoured to sit alongside Rob Worrall for BBC Surrey. That was a very different experience as the away fans were congregated in the opposite stand, resulting in a dispassionate view of the game for myself. But the end outcome was similar insomuch Aldershot came away with nothing when a draw would not have been undeserved. Sitting with the away supporters yesterday was certainly different. The 196 fans from Aldershot made a lot of noise, not always pleasant on the ear, but got right behind our team of young and inexperienced players. Stockport, by contrast, fielded a much more street wise team, including big name signings such as Paddy Madden and John Rooney. It would be great to see crowds of 6,000 plus at the EBB.

The day started with a 90 minute rail journey from Derby to Stockport with fellow exiled supporter, Derbyshot. The more we travel by rail, the more I realise how things are changing. There was barely an unoccupied seat to Stockport (via Sheffield) apart from 3 First Class carriages where I counted a total of 3 passengers. Great forward planning by East Midlands Rail that…

No doubt, some of the passengers from Sheffield were heading up for Sunday’s Manchester Marathon, but I shouldn’t think many if you saw the amount of food and alcohol being consumed. The Rail companies must be making a mint and it’s about time they started to acknowledge the situation on our overcrowded trains. We met up with another loyal Shots fan, Dave, at Stockport station and caught a taxi to our chosen lunch venue. This was to be the Sir Robert Peel, but, on enquiring at the bar, there was not one real ale on tap, a prerequisite for any pre match pub. So off we trooped to the Royal Oak just a couple of hundred yards down Castle Street and in the shadows of Edgeley Park floodlights. It was here we spent an enjoyable couple of hours mixing with mainly home supporters. It was a boisterous atmosphere, with the home fans very optimistic on their chances this season. Have you noticed how loud Lancashire folk talk? I think it’s a legacy of the textile mills and the loud machinery in their factories.

At 2.45 we emerged from the pub to make the short walk to the stadium. It’s one of the smartest stadiums in the National League, in sharp contrast to the surrounding area. After initially being directed in the wrong direction, we took our seats right on cue.

Before I relate my views on the game, first an apology. Due to the enjoyable pre match sustenance, and as is the case with men of a certain age, I couldn’t wait until half time before my first visit to the Gents. I chose the 43rd minute to walk up the steps to the Gents and, you’ve guessed, as I relieved myself a large roar from the home end signalled my worst fears – Stockport had scored! So I cannot comment how it came about. But a photo from the Stockport County website shows Madden about to nod home unopposed, with Kodi Lyons-Foster looking on despairingly.

The first half had been largely uneventful, with Stockport having the majority of possession and territory, as you would expect, but not testing Mitch Walker unduly. By contrast, Corie Andrews produced a couple of moments of dynamism to cause real hope in our ranks. One effort was just wide and the other produced a good save by Ross the home keeper. Corie is finding the physical side of National League difficult, often being brushed off too easily, but he comes alive near goal and is a real threat.

County started the 2nd half in control but as the half progressed, and especially after Ndjoli and Bettamer replaced Aouachria and Willard on the hour, Aldershot began to get on top. Ndjoli hit the post and his pace started to cause problems. After Scott Wagstaff replaced Alfy Whittingham as the final substitution, an injury to Lyons-Foster temporarily stopped the momentum. But in the last 10 minutes, Stockport were hanging on desperately. However, despite plenty of possession in the final third, an Aldershot opening just wouldn’t materialise.

RATINGS 4-3-3

WALKER 6 – Mitch was busy without being over stretched. One bad moment when he dropped a cross but otherwise a steady game.

OXLADE-CHAMBERLAIN 5 – The jury’s still out on Christian for me. He has all the components, technical and physical, but hasn’t shown enough of that potential so far. Playing in various positions as a central defender, Right Back and wing back hasn’t helped.

LYONS-FOSTER 6 – I feel like I’ve said this before too but Kodi is at the crossroads of his career at Aldershot. If he is to become a consistent performer at this level, he needs to cut out moments of indecision and ball watching, and be more assertive. I can live with his poor distribution if he consistently does his job as a defender.

PHILLIPS 8 – MOTM Giles defended very well throughout (I can’t comment whether he was at fault for the goal – see above) but from what I saw he was our best defender by some distance.

KINSELLA 5 – Lewis had a rare bad game yesterday and I think he would be the first to admit it. His distribution was way off the mark yesterday and gave his man a bit too much space for my liking. But he has been our most consistent performer over the last few months and has enough credit in the bank.

WHITTINGHAM 6 – Alfy can always be relied to give 100% and yesterday he was very noticeable in his midfield industry.

VENNINGS 8 – Ran Giles close for MOTM and like Alfy, he was here, there and everywhere. Always available, composed on the ball, he used it accurately, but perhaps just played a little too deep at times. I would like to see him more advanced where he can optimise his creativity. Looks like a great loan signing.

EDSER 7 – Toby seemed to enjoy playing alongside Vennings, and that looks a promising partnership for the future. He also linked well with Andrews.

WILLARD 6 – Despite his age, size and lack of experience in men’s football, Tommy wasn’t afraid to get stuck in and mix it with his more experienced opponents. Games like yesterday can only benefit him.

AOUACHRIA 4 – Wassim offered nothing in attack. Too passive and off the pace.

ANDREWS 7 – Corie is not getting the service he needs. He’s lightening quick and comes alive near goal but we need a hold up forward for him to feed off. Corie provided our best moments yesterday.

SUBS:
BETTAMER 5 – Mo was marginally better than Wassim but again there was no intensity and physical presence from our central striker. Is it fit and injury free now?

NDJOLI 6 - Mikael provided a spark up front and produced a good effort which hit the post. I would like to see him start next week.

WAGSTAFF 5 – Early days for Scott – it will be some time before he is match fit and hopefully his influence to be felt.

I’m not aware of the current injury situation, but it would be good to have Jayden Harris and Kevin Lokko back in the side. If the latter is still not fit next weekend, I would prefer to have George Fowler alongside Phillips at the back. Andrews, Bettamer and Ndjoli up front. But at least we seem to be close to having a competitive side now.

I have now seen 4 of the promotion favourites, Chesterfield, Notts County, Wrexham and Stockport. Of those, I feel Wrexham and Chesterfield will be up there come April – both Notts and Stockport are a little too nice and we should have got something out of those 2 games. Stockport have 2 good wing backs in Southam-Hales and Kitching, but I wonder if that is because we allowed them too much room? Whitfield and Crankshaw are skilful wide men alongside Madden up front but our midfield trio had the edge for large parts of the game. Rooney and Croasdale were fairly quiet I thought.

Of the other contenders, Boreham Wood and Halifax may find their squads a little thin over the season but Sutton proved that if you can keep a small squad injury free, one of those two might be the surprise package. Looking forward to seeing Grimsby in a month, and the Daggers and Woking at Christmas, by which time we will have a better idea of how much progress Aldershot are making under Mark and Terry. COYS

shotsboy66
Re: STOCKPORT v ALDERSHOT REVIEW

Post by shotsboy66 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:03 pm

Great report Alan. I know money always comes into the equation, with much lack of it at Aldershot! but who would be the ideal player, in your opinion, to help Corie Andrews up top?

I ask as you seem to have an encyclopedic knowledge of players at this level. The Charlton lad, Wassim, it seems is never going to be flavour of the month in the eyes of all and sundry.

In the past- a long time ago TB was able to find the likes of Robinson, Dixon, Grant etc to help the club to the brink of play offs. Sadly it feels now as if finishing 4th bottom will be the milestone to aim for.

Many thanks Alan for a decent report as always. You seem a true realist

Bob

Post by Bob » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:37 pm

shotsboy66 wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:03 pm
Great report Alan. I know money always comes into the equation, with much lack of it at Aldershot! but who would be the ideal player, in your opinion, to help Corie Andrews up top?

I ask as you seem to have an encyclopedic knowledge of players at this level. The Charlton lad, Wassim, it seems is never going to be flavour of the month in the eyes of all and sundry.

In the past- a long time ago TB was able to find the likes of Robinson, Dixon, Grant etc to help the club to the brink of play offs. Sadly it feels now as if finishing 4th bottom will be the milestone to aim for.

Many thanks Alan for a decent report as always. You seem a true realist
Afternoon shotsboy, I have to admit that when I started watching the shots in the 83-84 season I used to dream about us finishing 4 th bottom of this particular division which was I think called the alliance premier league back then 🍺

Anon E Mouse

Post by Anon E Mouse » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:57 pm

Lesson to be learned re pee break times.
Never between 40-45 mins or 85-90 mins when at a Shots game. Schoolboy error and a massive chance to miss all the good opposition goals. :( 💦

Alan B

Post by Alan B » Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:26 pm

The beer must have been good - I have been corrected on pub names.
It was the Royal Oak that had no real ale and we ended up at the Prince Albert...

The beer was Doombar.......I think..

Hic!

Tim67

Post by Tim67 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:33 pm

What an excellent report and yes; thank God it's not just about the on field performance!!!

Danny's Shovel

Post by Danny's Shovel » Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:28 pm

Alan B wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:59 pm
I think I might have mentioned it before, but, for me personally, following Aldershot Town FC is not just about the football but the whole matchday experience. So if the non-match related action doesn’t interest you, I suggest you skip along to the ratings at the end.

This was just my second away trip this season, the first being the game at Notts County where I was honoured to sit alongside Rob Worrall for BBC Surrey. That was a very different experience as the away fans were congregated in the opposite stand, resulting in a dispassionate view of the game for myself. But the end outcome was similar insomuch Aldershot came away with nothing when a draw would not have been undeserved. Sitting with the away supporters yesterday was certainly different. The 196 fans from Aldershot made a lot of noise, not always pleasant on the ear, but got right behind our team of young and inexperienced players. Stockport, by contrast, fielded a much more street wise team, including big name signings such as Paddy Madden and John Rooney. It would be great to see crowds of 6,000 plus at the EBB.

The day started with a 90 minute rail journey from Derby to Stockport with fellow exiled supporter, Derbyshot. The more we travel by rail, the more I realise how things are changing. There was barely an unoccupied seat to Stockport (via Sheffield) apart from 3 First Class carriages where I counted a total of 3 passengers. Great forward planning by East Midlands Rail that…

No doubt, some of the passengers from Sheffield were heading up for Sunday’s Manchester Marathon, but I shouldn’t think many if you saw the amount of food and alcohol being consumed. The Rail companies must be making a mint and it’s about time they started to acknowledge the situation on our overcrowded trains. We met up with another loyal Shots fan, Dave, at Stockport station and caught a taxi to our chosen lunch venue. This was to be the Sir Robert Peel, but, on enquiring at the bar, there was not one real ale on tap, a prerequisite for any pre match pub. So off we trooped to the Royal Oak just a couple of hundred yards down Castle Street and in the shadows of Edgeley Park floodlights. It was here we spent an enjoyable couple of hours mixing with mainly home supporters. It was a boisterous atmosphere, with the home fans very optimistic on their chances this season. Have you noticed how loud Lancashire folk talk? I think it’s a legacy of the textile mills and the loud machinery in their factories.

At 2.45 we emerged from the pub to make the short walk to the stadium. It’s one of the smartest stadiums in the National League, in sharp contrast to the surrounding area. After initially being directed in the wrong direction, we took our seats right on cue.

Before I relate my views on the game, first an apology. Due to the enjoyable pre match sustenance, and as is the case with men of a certain age, I couldn’t wait until half time before my first visit to the Gents. I chose the 43rd minute to walk up the steps to the Gents and, you’ve guessed, as I relieved myself a large roar from the home end signalled my worst fears – Stockport had scored! So I cannot comment how it came about. But a photo from the Stockport County website shows Madden about to nod home unopposed, with Kodi Lyons-Foster looking on despairingly.

The first half had been largely uneventful, with Stockport having the majority of possession and territory, as you would expect, but not testing Mitch Walker unduly. By contrast, Corie Andrews produced a couple of moments of dynamism to cause real hope in our ranks. One effort was just wide and the other produced a good save by Ross the home keeper. Corie is finding the physical side of National League difficult, often being brushed off too easily, but he comes alive near goal and is a real threat.

County started the 2nd half in control but as the half progressed, and especially after Ndjoli and Bettamer replaced Aouachria and Willard on the hour, Aldershot began to get on top. Ndjoli hit the post and his pace started to cause problems. After Scott Wagstaff replaced Alfy Whittingham as the final substitution, an injury to Lyons-Foster temporarily stopped the momentum. But in the last 10 minutes, Stockport were hanging on desperately. However, despite plenty of possession in the final third, an Aldershot opening just wouldn’t materialise.

RATINGS 4-3-3

WALKER 6 – Mitch was busy without being over stretched. One bad moment when he dropped a cross but otherwise a steady game.

OXLADE-CHAMBERLAIN 5 – The jury’s still out on Christian for me. He has all the components, technical and physical, but hasn’t shown enough of that potential so far. Playing in various positions as a central defender, Right Back and wing back hasn’t helped.

LYONS-FOSTER 6 – I feel like I’ve said this before too but Kodi is at the crossroads of his career at Aldershot. If he is to become a consistent performer at this level, he needs to cut out moments of indecision and ball watching, and be more assertive. I can live with his poor distribution if he consistently does his job as a defender.

PHILLIPS 8 – MOTM Giles defended very well throughout (I can’t comment whether he was at fault for the goal – see above) but from what I saw he was our best defender by some distance.

KINSELLA 5 – Lewis had a rare bad game yesterday and I think he would be the first to admit it. His distribution was way off the mark yesterday and gave his man a bit too much space for my liking. But he has been our most consistent performer over the last few months and has enough credit in the bank.

WHITTINGHAM 6 – Alfy can always be relied to give 100% and yesterday he was very noticeable in his midfield industry.

VENNINGS 8 – Ran Giles close for MOTM and like Alfy, he was here, there and everywhere. Always available, composed on the ball, he used it accurately, but perhaps just played a little too deep at times. I would like to see him more advanced where he can optimise his creativity. Looks like a great loan signing.

EDSER 7 – Toby seemed to enjoy playing alongside Vennings, and that looks a promising partnership for the future. He also linked well with Andrews.

WILLARD 6 – Despite his age, size and lack of experience in men’s football, Tommy wasn’t afraid to get stuck in and mix it with his more experienced opponents. Games like yesterday can only benefit him.

AOUACHRIA 4 – Wassim offered nothing in attack. Too passive and off the pace.

ANDREWS 7 – Corie is not getting the service he needs. He’s lightening quick and comes alive near goal but we need a hold up forward for him to feed off. Corie provided our best moments yesterday.

SUBS:
BETTAMER 5 – Mo was marginally better than Wassim but again there was no intensity and physical presence from our central striker. Is it fit and injury free now?

NDJOLI 6 - Mikael provided a spark up front and produced a good effort which hit the post. I would like to see him start next week.

WAGSTAFF 5 – Early days for Scott – it will be some time before he is match fit and hopefully his influence to be felt.

I’m not aware of the current injury situation, but it would be good to have Jayden Harris and Kevin Lokko back in the side. If the latter is still not fit next weekend, I would prefer to have George Fowler alongside Phillips at the back. Andrews, Bettamer and Ndjoli up front. But at least we seem to be close to having a competitive side now.

I have now seen 4 of the promotion favourites, Chesterfield, Notts County, Wrexham and Stockport. Of those, I feel Wrexham and Chesterfield will be up there come April – both Notts and Stockport are a little too nice and we should have got something out of those 2 games. Stockport have 2 good wing backs in Southam-Hales and Kitching, but I wonder if that is because we allowed them too much room? Whitfield and Crankshaw are skilful wide men alongside Madden up front but our midfield trio had the edge for large parts of the game. Rooney and Croasdale were fairly quiet I thought.

Of the other contenders, Boreham Wood and Halifax may find their squads a little thin over the season but Sutton proved that if you can keep a small squad injury free, one of those two might be the surprise package. Looking forward to seeing Grimsby in a month, and the Daggers and Woking at Christmas, by which time we will have a better idea of how much progress Aldershot are making under Mark and Terry. COYS
Alan, that is a superb review of events.

We've lost 6 of our 7 lost games by 1 goal, it's the same old same old, usually a KLF mistake proving costly........ I agree Fowler needs to be in the team instead of him then our fortune might change, because we never get outplayed or smashed it's just the usual 1-0 or 2-1 loss.

Not surprising we offered very little 1st half but 2nd half when the subs were made we battered them........ Willard & Wassim off & Mo & Ndjoli on....... How Tommy and Wassim start incredible, i don't think they would even get in Dovers team.

No chance versus Bromley at home next up another 0-1 or 1-2, but Weymouth 3 days after at home is a must win.

Alan B

Post by Alan B » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:26 pm

Hi DS,
As I said yesterday, I can make allowances for under par performances as long as a player gives 100%. I will not be hard on Tommy Willard because he is such a hard worker and at 20 is at the start of his career. We need to encourage our youngsters not demoralise them. He can only improve with the right attitude.

Wassim unfortunately hasn't shown that attitude and needs to step up, and soon. We can't afford passengers.

Danny's Shovel

Post by Danny's Shovel » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:34 pm

Alan B wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:26 pm
Hi DS,
As I said yesterday, I can make allowances for under par performances as long as a player gives 100%. I will not be hard on Tommy Willard because he is such a hard worker and at 20 is at the start of his career. We need to encourage our youngsters not demoralise them. He can only improve with the right attitude.

Wassim unfortunately hasn't shown that attitude and needs to step up, and soon. We can't afford passengers.
It's not Tommys fault, he just is nowhere the level for me, he should be on loan to conf south or ryman prem, its only our lack of funding thats given him this opportunity........ Theres some weird stuff going on with the yoof, Ben Scholl got awarded the best player on the park on the park v Wrexham on debut not started since........ Reece Wylie Chelsea wanted him didnt they, what happened to him, nothing?! The kid Watts might be going backwards, seems to be getting further away from 1st team action now.

Danny's Shovel

Post by Danny's Shovel » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:46 pm

Another is Reece Miller according to his agent Andy Mac, hes the clubs best finisher lol, yet playing at Fboro.

Old Bob

Post by Old Bob » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:55 pm

Alan B wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:26 pm
Hi DS,

Alan, I think you will find that Wassim and Tommy are the same age. So to be fair, on the basis of age alone, you ought to cut Wassim the same slack as Tommy.

But that said, I do agree with you that Tommy does have excellent attitude, and you cannot say the same of Wassim. In fact, for whatever reason, he certainly looks like the laziest and most poorly motivated player I have ever had the misfortune to see in a Shots shirt.

Old Bob

Post by Old Bob » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:01 pm

Danny's Shovel wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:46 pm
Another is Reece Miller according to his agent Andy Mac, hes the clubs best finisher lol, yet playing at Fboro.
Some of us have seen Reece play both at Shots (albeit briefly) and at Farnborough. I cannot say I have seen anything to make me believe he should be anywhere near our first team.

Face it, if he was as good as Andy Mac is always saying, he would be tearing up trees at Farnborough. It would be so far below his natural level, he could not fail to be a sensation.

My conclusion? Andy Mac's opinion is based on something other than sober appraisal of Reece's abilities.

Danny's Shovel

Post by Danny's Shovel » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:06 pm

Tommy certainly gives his all i agree, but so does KLF!

That only takes you so far and there's a point where they just shouldn't be in the team as aren't good enough.

TracoShot

Post by TracoShot » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:17 pm

Good to hear that we played better yesterday but frustrating that we didnt pick anything up points wise. I think atm we have a number of players that aren't quite good enough for the NL and am sure that MM and TB will try and make the necessary changes asap. In the meantime onto the cup game which is huge for the club. Let's hope all the players, including Wassim, are up for the fight next saturday.

Sean Chambers

Post by Sean Chambers » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:28 am

Danny's Shovel wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:46 pm
Reece isn’t at Farnborough he is back with us.