STOCKPORT v ALDERSHOT REVIEW

Dr Jim Royle
Re: STOCKPORT v ALDERSHOT REVIEW

Post by Dr Jim Royle » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:47 am

Before I relate my views on the game, first an apology. Due to the enjoyable pre match sustenance, and as is the case with men of a certain age, I couldn’t wait until half time before my first visit to the Gents. I chose the 43rd minute to walk up the steps to the Gents and, you’ve guessed, as I relieved myself a large roar from the home end signalled my worst fears – Stockport had scored! So I cannot comment how it came about. But a photo from the Stockport County website shows Madden about to nod home unopposed, with Kodi Lyons-Foster looking on despairingly.
I can visualise you and Ancient Shot mulling over pre-game thoughts, sat in your armchairs by the pub fire, sucking on your clay pipes and berating noisy youth that need to have served time in our National Forces. :lol:

Good report as always.

BUT ............................ ALWAYS A BUT ................. goal conceded late in half, deep cross to far post, easy nod in, defenders bewildered and Keeper at sea. Unless we sort out our defending, losses not matter how hard done by, will keep rolling in. Think I'm harsh but fair ............ Short of at least two defenders and a Keeper who can own an area. IMHO of course.

James Frazer

Post by James Frazer » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:34 am

Couple of random comments.
  • 1. Some folk keep harping on about Ben Schroll not being picked since being picked as "man of the match". The "man of the match" award is a subjective selection by the match sponsor. It is often given to a goal scorer, Lewis Kinsella, or sometimes another random choice. It is rarely an objective selection and rarely meets with global approval.
    2. Our defensive lapses might well be addressed by a stronger captain who is able to organise his defensive colleagues and keep them on their toes, especially at the start and end of each half.

A.T.F.C 92

Post by A.T.F.C 92 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:41 pm

I must of been drunk. I thought KLF was out best player Saturday and was my MOM

fredandballou

Post by fredandballou » Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:37 pm

Who was at fault with the Stockport goal? Surely Paddy Madden should not have been left unmarked to head home their goal. Mitch Walker came two paces towards Paddy Madden then stopped should he have been more aware of the presence/threat of Paddy Madden and commited himself to coming out further and punching the ball away.?

JOELC26

Post by JOELC26 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:05 pm

The highlights are available via Stockport Twitter link is : https://t.co/MTRQAtM57x?amp=1

My view on the first goal is that Madden positions between kinsella and KLF who are marking space rather than attackers and both responsible - would expect madden should be KLFs man.

On the balance of these highlights which are normally bias in what they show, I feel that we are unlucky not to score, their keeper had a good game and arguably one of their best players.

Bit unlucky but optimistic - next few games will be better test for is playing the likes of Barnet, Weymouth and the cup game. Feel we have the quality to beat those teams with Mark in charge.

Preston Shot

Post by Preston Shot » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:08 pm

Some good solid defending from County in the latter stages.

shotsboy66

Post by shotsboy66 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:21 am

Very impressed with Corie Andrews up front. Looked a real handful.

Let us hope he can extend his stay at Aldershot. Even the Stockport commentator was impressed- as he was unimpressed with Wassim from Charlton- saying he hadn`t caused Stockport defenders any danger all afternoon.

Although a defeat, the performance looked very encouraging. I want to be optimistic with these players. MM will need to be given funds to strengten the squad- from wherever that may come.

Come on Aldershot- rekindle my enthusiasm for it`s waned in the past few years!

King Kauto

Post by King Kauto » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:12 am

Just to add I too really enjoy Alan B's write-ups, not least the bits about pre and post match logistics and fun. Please keep it up Alan.

Charles Dickens

Post by Charles Dickens » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:33 pm

Impressive display by the Shots in second half according to highlights.Manager Moseley has got the team into shape, looking good.

A Shot from Wales

Post by A Shot from Wales » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:57 pm

Charles Dickens wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:33 pm
Impressive display by the Shots in second half according to highlights.Manager Moseley has got the team into shape, looking good.
Yes, and given that the commentator was a homer, he was very respectful of our performance. But sadly, as I experienced on the day, the emotions of losing 1v0 aren’t ameliorated by kind words. The defence were pretty good on Saturday, with the exception of Kinsella, but they were constantly forced to defend deep, because our keeper simply can’t command his area.

Alan B

Post by Alan B » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:43 pm

shotsboy66 wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:03 pm
Great report Alan. I know money always comes into the equation, with much lack of it at Aldershot! but who would be the ideal player, in your opinion, to help Corie Andrews up top?

I ask as you seem to have an encyclopedic knowledge of players at this level. The Charlton lad, Wassim, it seems is never going to be flavour of the month in the eyes of all and sundry.

In the past- a long time ago TB was able to find the likes of Robinson, Dixon, Grant etc to help the club to the brink of play offs. Sadly it feels now as if finishing 4th bottom will be the milestone to aim for.

Many thanks Alan for a decent report as always. You seem a true realist
Thanks for your kind comments Shotsboy - always appreciated. Regarding who would I like to see up front who would give us a presence and complement the skill and pace of Corie Andrews? That's a difficult one. Living in the Midlands I do see National League North and Northern Premier League games but obviously it would be unrealistic to expect players from those leagues to relocate. You'd probably have to ask people who go to watch National League South or Southern Premier games.

However there is one player who would fit the bill but who would horrify 95% of Shots fans if we were to sign him! His name? The marmite man, Matt Rhead.
I know he is 37 now and wouldn't win slimmer of the year award, but having seen him in a couple of preseason friendlies at Alfreton, Rhead is still a very effective target man.

Whether he would relocate South again is doubtful, but Rhead is just the sort of player we need. He is a lot more skilful than people give him credit for and I can guarantee he would win 90% of aerial challenges despite not leaping like a salmon. He is very clever in using his body to hold the ball up and some of his flick ons are exquisite. Yes he comes with a bit of baggage but if we want a team that will compete at this level, Rhead fits the bill.

Waits for outcry....

Richard Petty

Post by Richard Petty » Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:20 pm

Alan B wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:43 pm
shotsboy66 wrote:
Great report Alan. I know money always comes into the equation, with much lack of it at Aldershot! but who would be the ideal player, in your opinion, to help Corie Andrews up top?

I ask as you seem to have an encyclopedic knowledge of players at this level. The Charlton lad, Wassim, it seems is never going to be flavour of the month in the eyes of all and sundry.

In the past- a long time ago TB was able to find the likes of Robinson, Dixon, Grant etc to help the club to the brink of play offs. Sadly it feels now as if finishing 4th bottom will be the milestone to aim for.

Thanks for your kind comments Shotsboy - always appreciated. Regarding who would I like to see up front who would give us a presence and complement the skill and pace of Corie Andrews? That's a difficult one. Living in the Midlands I do see National League North and Northern Premier League games but obviously it would be unrealistic to expect players from those leagues to relocate. You'd probably have to ask people who go to watch National League South or Southern Premier games.

However there is one player who would fit the bill but who would horrify 95% of Shots fans if we were to sign him! His name? The marmite man, Matt Rhead.
I know he is 37 now and wouldn't win slimmer of the year award, but having seen him in a couple of preseason friendlies at Alfreton, Rhead is still a very effective target man.

Whether he would relocate South again is doubtful, but Rhead is just the sort of player we need. He is a lot more skilful than people give him credit for and I can guarantee he would win 90% of aerial challenges despite not leaping like a salmon. He is very clever in using his body to hold the ball up and some of his flick ons are exquisite. Yes he comes with a bit of baggage but if we want a team that will compete at this level, Rhead fits the bill.

Waits for outcry....
Matt Rhead is actually I name I mentioned to someone recently so no outcry from me Alan B.

Rhead is an experienced hard B-----d who knows where the net is and if he cant get a clean shot (or more often head) on goal he just bullies his way past defenders and takes the ball with him. Yes he is a much disliked player but that dislike does tend to be more from opposition fans because he delivers for whoever he plays for.
Last edited by Richard Petty on Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Turnkey

Post by Turnkey » Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:29 pm

Alan B wrote:
shotsboy66 wrote:

Waits for outcry....
No outcry from me either, a Matt Rhead one end and a Steve McNulty the other would see us competing in the upper reaches of the division no doubt.

Richard Petty

Post by Richard Petty » Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:35 pm

Turnkey wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:29 pm
Alan B wrote:
shotsboy66 wrote:

Waits for outcry....
No outcry from me either, a Matt Rhead one end and a Steve McNulty the other would see us competing in the upper reaches of the division no doubt.
Now that conjures up a comparison to being like having two really sturdy heavy duty bookends holding your books up on a shelf :D

Turnkey

Post by Turnkey » Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:41 pm

Would need to be a robust shelf as well.