STOCKPORT v ALDERSHOT REVIEW

Old Bob
Re: STOCKPORT v ALDERSHOT REVIEW

Post by Old Bob » Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:33 pm

Turnkey wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:29 pm
No outcry from me either, a Matt Rhead one end and a Steve McNulty the other would see us competing in the upper reaches of the division no doubt.
Well then, you have to ask why both are currently performing at levels below us and why no club in our division has spotted this obvious route to the top of the division of pairing them up in their team.

Maybe a combined age of 75 has something to do with it?

fredandballou

Post by fredandballou » Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:51 pm

Matt Rhead spent last season at Borehamwood scoring only one goal. A penalty.

Old Bob

Post by Old Bob » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:01 pm

fredandballou wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:51 pm
Since he left Lincoln in 2019, he has scored 5 goals (in 48 games) at 3 clubs.

poppy seed

Post by poppy seed » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:45 pm

Old Bob wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:01 pm
fredandballou wrote:
Pen agrees with the old one, shock. What a silly observation by Mr B. The future is just that, not the past.

Richard Petty

Post by Richard Petty » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:23 pm

Old Bob wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:01 pm
fredandballou wrote:
Now that has surprised me 😨

Just goes to show how often a perception overtakes reality, well certainly in my case on this ocasion

shotsboy66

Post by shotsboy66 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:31 pm

Alan B wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:43 pm
shotsboy66 wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:03 pm
Great report Alan. I know money always comes into the equation, with much lack of it at Aldershot! but who would be the ideal player, in your opinion, to help Corie Andrews up top?

I ask as you seem to have an encyclopedic knowledge of players at this level. The Charlton lad, Wassim, it seems is never going to be flavour of the month in the eyes of all and sundry.

In the past- a long time ago TB was able to find the likes of Robinson, Dixon, Grant etc to help the club to the brink of play offs. Sadly it feels now as if finishing 4th bottom will be the milestone to aim for.

Many thanks Alan for a decent report as always. You seem a true realist
Thanks for your kind comments Shotsboy - always appreciated. Regarding who would I like to see up front who would give us a presence and complement the skill and pace of Corie Andrews? That's a difficult one. Living in the Midlands I do see National League North and Northern Premier League games but obviously it would be unrealistic to expect players from those leagues to relocate. You'd probably have to ask people who go to watch National League South or Southern Premier games.

However there is one player who would fit the bill but who would horrify 95% of Shots fans if we were to sign him! His name? The marmite man, Matt Rhead.
I know he is 37 now and wouldn't win slimmer of the year award, but having seen him in a couple of preseason friendlies at Alfreton, Rhead is still a very effective target man.

Whether he would relocate South again is doubtful, but Rhead is just the sort of player we need. He is a lot more skilful than people give him credit for and I can guarantee he would win 90% of aerial challenges despite not leaping like a salmon. He is very clever in using his body to hold the ball up and some of his flick ons are exquisite. Yes he comes with a bit of baggage but if we want a team that will compete at this level, Rhead fits the bill.

Waits for outcry....
Many thanks Alan for the Matt Rhead report. You certainly know your non-league players that is for sure. I believe MR played at the Rec for Lincoln towards the end of the play off season in 2017. Goodness me- look at Lincoln now.

Must say Corie cannot do it all by himself. I like the sound of the new lad Ndjoli. He seems to have something about him. Hopefully he will get game time v Bromley.

I would be interested Alan on your take on Elis Watts lack of game time recently. Really surprises me. That shimmy at Notts County last month when he took out two defenders looked so classy.

Well- first things first...let`s get past Pitsea in the FA Cup. Don`t norse this up Aldershot..please. I`m not sure if it`s a good or bad thing to not have a league game Saturday. What about everyone else?

Up the Aldershot!!

Alex

Post by Alex » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:45 pm

Matt Rhead for the Shots :lol: :oops: :lol:

Alan B

Post by Alan B » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:03 am

Hi Shotsboy, try to ignore the trolls - you will notice how some Shotsweb posters are quick to denigrate other people's opinions but cannot offer any constructive views of their own 🙄

I'm getting to the stage of not bothering to post on here in future. So many childish comments...

shotsboy66

Post by shotsboy66 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:31 am

Don`t stop posting Mr B... your match ratings postings are great for fans unable to get to games.

As I mentioned earlier you are a true realist. You appreciate the club has it`s level with the current lack of ££ but you still retain a positive outlook on many occasions.

I enjoyed the commentary when you sat alongside Rob at Notts County- as well as appearing on the midweek show with two more Mr B`s..

Anyway best wishes to you..keep up the positive support, I for one certainly appreciate it!

Dr Jim Royle

Post by Dr Jim Royle » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:28 am

Hi Shotsboy, try to ignore the trolls - you will notice how some Shotsweb posters are quick to denigrate other people's opinions but cannot offer any constructive views of their own 🙄

I'm getting to the stage of not bothering to post on here in future. So many childish comments...
Mr B, you are under contract to The Ratings Mafia until 2040, with no escape clause. The fact some of the lesser ability to debate posters can offer only negative opinions has been noted by, I'd say 90% of Shotsweb Posters, these folk have the skills to offer more.

The more "negative" folk (I'll not use Trolls as a descriptive), when you actually read their offerings, for me you start to feel sorry for them. Such a limited ability to offer anything that even has a whiff of actual proof at times, preferring to just act on hear say or just making things up in their own minds.

Carry on the good work B, you are excused to more poetic descriptions of your day out, the older client base of readers like to hear about things like whittling wood, St Bruno pipe filling, fly fishing, bar billiards and clogs.

:wink:

Preston Shot

Post by Preston Shot » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:47 am

keep up the good work Alan , always a good Rhead the following day after a match !
As for Elis Watts i dont understand why he's suddenly out on a limb as he's looked good and hungry.
I'd be interested to know the reason if anyone as any inside info ?

poppy seed

Post by poppy seed » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:08 am

Alan B wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:03 am

Having scanned the replies following your recruitment suggestion, I guess you are calling me a ‘troll’. I will forgive you, given that you may use predictive text, and you meant to say, ‘dolls’.

And to add a bit of counter opinion, others have highlighted Rhead’s recent poor output, and I have to say it doesn’t look that good. Overweight, beyond his sell by date and someone that most supporters do not like, is not a great CV.

Not knowing you, I do suspect you to be one of our cohort of old supporters, Mr B, but surprise surprise, I’m closer to the ‘childish’. Now they are the future.

Clay1927

Post by Clay1927 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:11 am

Preston Shot wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:47 am
keep up the good work Alan , always a good Rhead the following day after a match !
As for Elis Watts i dont understand why he's suddenly out on a limb as he's looked good and hungry.
I'd be interested to know the reason if anyone as any inside info ?
He is still working hard and is with the squad but has mainly been 17th man. He is only just 19 so needs to continue his development. He is also a 10 really but can play wide midfield also. Scored a lot of goals and assists in his career to date. Very promising player and a big lad too still developing. Has played in League 2 as a 17 year old. Wants to play mens football and is a confident player. Maybe a loan to get game time is needed.

Alan B

Post by Alan B » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:13 am

poppy seed wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:08 am
Alan B wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:03 am

Having scanned the replies following your recruitment suggestion, I guess you are calling me a ‘troll’. I will forgive you, given that you may use predictive text, and you meant to say, ‘dolls’.

And to add a bit of counter opinion, others have highlighted Rhead’s recent poor output, and I have to say it doesn’t look that good. Overweight, beyond his sell by date and someone that most supporters do not like, is not a great CV.

Not knowing you, I do suspect you to be one of our cohort of old supporters, Mr B, but surprise surprise, I’m closer to the ‘childish’. Now they are the future.
It was late last night when I posted so I apologise for using the term 'troll' . I had been to watch a Northern Premier League game at Basford and after getting home to watch the England highlights, my mood was not great.

I think a more appropriate term for you would be 'disparager' as I have noticed you always disparage any views I have on Shotsweb. It seems that this is a common theme in the younger supporters at Aldershot. It is easier to criticise other people's views rather than post some constructive comments of their own.

However, I have 2 further points to make on Matt Rhead.

1. Unlike a few people on SW, I don't pay much regard to bare statistics of goals per season etc. and prefer to see players in action to judge their form and ability. I managed to see Rhead in 3 preseason games for Alfreton against higher league opposition (Solihull, Grimsby and Burton Albion). I do not place any value on the results of these games but in the case of the first two, the opposition fielded full strength sides and they were very competitive games. Rhead gave both defences a very tough time.

2. Secondly, Shotsboy asked me a specific question about identifying a partner up front for Corie Andrews, not a 20 goal a season striker ( which would probably be out of our budget anyway). Rhead unsettles defenders, holds the ball up well and is very skilful in using his body and height to provide openings for others. That's what Aldershot need in my opinion, and Aouachria and Bettamer are not the answer at the moment.

Whether he is 17, 27 or 37 is irrelevant. He has the skill set we need. As I said in my earlier post, Rhead would probably not be interested in relocating down south as he chose to go part time at Alfreton, and I'm led to believe turned down offers to continue full time at other clubs. But Shotsboy asked me what I thought we needed and that is what we lack up front. I hope you and others can at least appreciate that viewpoint without resorting to disparaging remarks. COYS

Stenhouse

Post by Stenhouse » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:48 pm

Don't give up posting on here Mr B. Messrs Petty, Royle and you are just about the only decent posters on Shotsweb.