Parsons Barracks car park

Birdman
Parsons Barracks car park

Post by Birdman » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:48 pm

Just a heads up.
For those of you that use this car park whether for attending games or at other times, there’s an RBC notice attached to an adjacent lamppost saying that this car park will be closing at 6pm on Thursday 21st October. The nearest alternative car park is the High St multi story.

Rushmoor Borough Council
11 October at 10:15 ·
“The COVID-19 testing site for those showing symptoms, at Parsons Barracks car park in Aldershot, will be closing as from tomorrow (12 October).
It will be replaced later in the week by a new testing site at Napier Gardens car park in North Camp.
It should only be short while before this site opens, but in meantime you can order home PCR tests if you think you have symptoms from https://www.gov.uk/get-coronavirus-test
A mobile testing unit will also be at the High Street multi-storey car park in Aldershot on Thursday and Friday (14 and 15 October) of this week.”

fredandballou
Re: Parsons Barracks car park

Post by fredandballou » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:50 am

To date I'm not aware of any plans being passed for a care home, housing units to accommodate local college students or whatever for the site, with this in mind the likelihood is that the car park will remain empty /locked up for many months. I hope Shahid Azeem is aware of this and that he will be negotiating with RBC to have the car park reopened on match days. The loss of this car park where circa four hundred fans arrive on match day will inevitably affect the match day attendance and revenue for the club.

RC-Moderator
Site Admin

Post by RC-Moderator » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:16 am

Actually planning permission for a care home was granted in July.
So I imagine building work is starting shortly after the council closure above.
https://publicaccess.rushmoor.gov.uk/on ... ab=summary

MikeO

Post by MikeO » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:19 am

The issue is that Parsons Barracks Car Park has been managed by RBCouncil on behalf of the MOD. I was told by RBC this morning that they wanted to continue this arrangement, but the MOD plan to redevelop the site.

Sean Chambers

Post by Sean Chambers » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:23 am

fredandballou wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:50 am
To date I'm not aware of any plans being passed for a care home, housing units to accommodate local college students or whatever for the site, with this in mind the likelihood is that the car park will remain empty /locked up for many months. I hope Shahid Azeem is aware of this and that he will be negotiating with RBC to have the car park reopened on match days. The loss of this car park where circa four hundred fans arrive on match day will inevitably affect the match day attendance and revenue for the club.
Planning permission has already been sorted so I guess they want to crack on with it and get it built ASAP.

MikeO

Post by MikeO » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:25 am

Thanks RC-Moderator for the clarification. The loss of this car park is a real blow to many Shots fans, particularly those with walking difficulties.

Richard Petty

Post by Richard Petty » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:39 am

MikeO wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:19 am
The issue is that Parsons Barracks Car Park has been managed by RBCouncil on behalf of the MOD. I was told by RBC this morning that they wanted to continue this arrangement, but the MOD plan to redevelop the site.
I am of course prepared to be corrected but think you will find that's not quite right MikeO, whoever you spoke to at RBC has I believe got that wrong.

The land as far as I am aware is council owned by RBC and was earmarked some while back as part of the Rushmoor regeneration plan and is being developed as part of the Rushmoor Development Partnership which is the partnership of Rushmoor Borough Council and Hill Investment who are doing the redeveloping of the Town Centres of both Aldershot and Farnborough.

Alex

Post by Alex » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:56 am

MikeO wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:25 am
The loss of this car park is a real blow to many Shots fans, particularly those with walking difficulties.
Yup, absolutely ridiculous!

Sean Chambers

Post by Sean Chambers » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:00 pm

Alex wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:56 am
MikeO wrote:
The loss of this car park is a real blow to many Shots fans, particularly those with walking difficulties.
It’s a shame but hardly ridiculous as it was up to RBC to sell the land to whoever they see fit to.

Alex

Post by Alex » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:08 pm

Does anyone know if access will still be possible through the car park entrance and leading up to our ground side gates or will vehicle entry to the ground and Eastbank parking now be from the green gates located close to the turnstiles?

Preston Shot

Post by Preston Shot » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:15 pm

Another excuse for supporters not to attend, must admit the parking around our ground is very limited to say the least.

Richard Petty

Post by Richard Petty » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:21 pm

Alex wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:08 pm
Does anyone know if access will still be possible through the car park entrance and leading up to our ground side gates or will vehicle entry to the ground and Eastbank parking now be from the green gates located close to the turnstiles?
Access to the ground for vehicles will still be using the access road to the side gates, that road is unaffected by the development

Alex

Post by Alex » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:27 pm

Thank you

Richard Petty

Post by Richard Petty » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:30 pm

Sean Chambers wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:00 pm
Alex wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:56 am
MikeO wrote:
It’s a shame but hardly ridiculous as it was up to RBC to sell the land to whoever they see fit to.
As a Shots supporter of course my heart says the car park should be maintained but as a Rushmoor tax payer my head says its a no brainer for the council to develop it.

Other than on a match day the car park is almost empty most days as it doesn't serve any part of the town that people want to go to. I don't know the actual figures but I would be surprised if the income from the car park even covered the cost of its upkeep. Its a valuable piece of land and the development will be an important income generator for the council to reinvest into the town development.

However for the club it is certainly very bad news and until the new stadium is developed with its own parking I can see this being an issue.

supershots

Post by supershots » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:04 pm

Preston Shot wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:15 pm
Another excuse for supporters not to attend, must admit the parking around our ground is very limited to say the least.
Yes everywhere you look they have added yellow lines, even the mod have blocked off the estate that we were using