O/T Blue Origin spaceflight

Richard Petty
O/T Blue Origin spaceflight

Post by Richard Petty » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:41 pm

Hope you wont mind me posting a non football topic but I have just watched the live transmission of the second manned flight of the Blue Origin spacecraft and found it amazing to watch. I have always thought it sad that for so many years very little progress in space travel was made but maybe now that private enterprise is involved that progress may just get a bit quicker.

When you think back to the days of the NASA Mercury spaceflights which are the closest in type of flight (close Earth orbit) to this its unbelievable as to how much simpler the whole process is now. Back then hundreds of people had to be involved in the launch and the astronaut training was extraordinarily hard and challenging and of course it was all incredibly expensive. Today a handful of people at a small launch site use a reusable rocket to launch a manned capsule into space then that rocket within just a few minutes returns back to earth under its own power touching down exactly on the spot its supposed to followed by the capsule landing in the desert within 5 minutes drive of the launch site and both the rocket and the capsule will be reused over and over again.

And as for the astronauts they are just normal people with no previous training and in this case including the actor William Shatner (Yes old Captain Kirk himself) at 90 years old. Anyone who wants to watch it can replay it here on You Tube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1npQK7hhwU

As Blue Origin is produced and operated by Jeff Bezos (Amazon) I wonder how long it will be before someone on the International Space Station will be able to order something from Amazon and get it delivered next day with a Prime account :lol:

Crowthorne
Re: O/T Blue Origin spaceflight

Post by Crowthorne » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:51 pm

With advances like this, maybe one day there might be a man on the moon.

80fc

Post by 80fc » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:17 pm

It's all very exciting but I don't think Captain Kirk and friends went into space just very very high

BillB

Post by BillB » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:10 pm

Yes I hear they've been at those pills again.................

MANNIMIST

Post by MANNIMIST » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:13 pm

I remember, Richard, being at Dunsfold Aerodrome about 1960 and seeing two Americans being shown round and entertained generally. Was informed they were part of the proposed space programme. Wonder what their names were? How times have moved on!!

Old Bob

Post by Old Bob » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:21 pm

80fc wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:17 pm
It's all very exciting but I don't think Captain Kirk and friends went into space just very very high
Same thing, 80fc. That's what "space" is ... very very high.

Richard Petty

Post by Richard Petty » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:50 pm

Old Bob wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:21 pm
80fc wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:17 pm
Same thing, 80fc. That's what "space" is ... very very high.
They did indeed reach space.

it is bit confusing as there are two heights both technically in space but only one (the highest) that is recognised in the aeronautical world as "being in this space". Blue Origin did achieve that height (Over 100km)whereas the recent flight by Richard Bransons "Virgjn Galactic" only reached the lower height level of (over 80km so although reaching space did not however reach the height required for their passengers to be potentially classed as astronauts.

However I have edited this post (today 14/10) as I have since read up on this and it appears that neither Virgin or Blue Origin passengers can officially claim to be astronauts. This is because although they reached the required distance above the Earth the classification was changed last year to include the requirement that for anyone to be classed as an Astronaut they must actually participate in the operation of the space vehicle and that their actions must be essential in all or part to the safety of the vehicle.

So the passengers yesterday are officially classed as "Space Tourists" not Astronauts.
Last edited by Richard Petty on Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Preston Shot

Post by Preston Shot » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:33 am

Beam me up Scotty, was fantastic to see William Shatner get so emotional what a fantastic experience for him.

shots1965

Post by shots1965 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:01 pm

HarryTom

Post by HarryTom » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:05 pm

shots1965 wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:01 pm
https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-58903389

100% agree
There is no reason why they can't be done together

Old Bob

Post by Old Bob » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:35 pm

HarryTom wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:05 pm
shots1965 wrote:

100% agree
Absolutely, HarryTom, it's not a case of either/or.

Looking at the history of key discoveries in science and technology, it is very plain to see that the vast majority are "unintended". People did not set out to discover these wonderful things, they happened across them while engaged in some other activity. Possibly the best example of this is Clerk Maxwell, who set out to discover how electricity makes magnetism (which he did) but also discovered how electricity and magnetism make light. This laid the whole foundation for radio, television, radar, radiation physics, medical imaging ... in fact, almost all of modern physics.

The Saturn moon programme set out to put a man on the moon, but incidentally led to microelectronics (and then to personal computers, mobile phones, the internet, ...) and huge advances in physiological monitoring (and so advances in cardiac medicine, intensive care, ...) among many other things.

It is every bit as likely that advances in space technology will have spin offs that help save the planet as that direct attempts aimed at to saving the planet will bear fruit. As HT says, the best idea is to do both.

Richard Petty

Post by Richard Petty » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:50 pm

Old Bob wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:35 pm
HarryTom wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:05 pm
shots1965 wrote:

100% agree
Absolutely, HarryTom, it's not a case of either/or.

Looking at the history of key discoveries in science and technology, it is very plain to see that the vast majority are "unintended". People did not set out to discover these wonderful things, they happened across them while engaged in some other activity. Possibly the best example of this is Clerk Maxwell, who set out to discover how electricity makes magnetism (which he did) but also discovered how electricity and magnetism make light. This laid the whole foundation for radio, television, radar, radiation physics, medical imaging ... in fact, almost all of modern physics.

The Saturn moon programme set out to put a man on the moon, but incidentally led to microelectronics (and then to personal computers, mobile phones, the internet, ...) and huge advances in physiological monitoring (and so advances in cardiac medicine, intensive care, ...) among many other things.

It is every bit as likely that advances in space technology will have spin offs that help save the planet as that direct attempts aimed at to saving the planet will bear fruit. As HT says, the best idea is to do both.
Very good post Old Bob, I fully agree with you and HarryTom.

It is very important for the long term future that scientific developments continue in "ALL" fields and that nothing is sidelined regardless of other specific (and I agree urgent) pulls on the scientific communities.