Not Shots-related, but...........did Chester breach COVID rules?

Statto
Not Shots-related, but...........did Chester breach COVID rules?

Post by Statto » Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:29 am

Fuggletim
Re: Not Shots-related, but...........did Chester breach COVID rules?

Post by Fuggletim » Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:03 am

Ridiculous situation. Whatever happened to this "United" Kingdom?

An English club, with an English postcode, with an English safety certificate, undoubtedly paying taxes to an English Goverment and policed by an English Police force. It is a mere technicality that part of the ground is in Wales! What are they supposed to do? Have no-one in the Welsh part of the ground and 2000 + in the English part?

I was curious about Mark Drakeford's remarks about the UK Government on Friday. I was (and still am) wondering when he was going to provide the conclusive evidence his approach has worked any better?

On a different tack, I used to frequent a pub called the Flying Bull in Rake (near Liphook) in the 1980s (still go there very occasionally) where the Hampshire/West Sussex border runs through the pub. It was always a feature that inntye pre 24 x hour licensing days, the West Sussex side bar closed at 22:30 and the Hampshire one at 23:00 in the Summer!

Chalkie

Post by Chalkie » Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:54 am

Totally agree with the first part of your post, how can Chester FC not be English?
Fuggletim wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:03 am
An English club, with an English postcode, with an English safety certificate, undoubtedly paying taxes to an English Government and policed by an English Police force.
The second part of your post though is slightly inaccurate and supports the case for the Welsh rules.
Fuggletim wrote:
It is a mere technicality that part of the ground is in Wales! What are they supposed to do? Have no-one in the Welsh part of the ground and 2000 + in the English part?
The stadium car park, main entrance, and some of the offices are in England but the stands and pitch are in Wales.
Once you enter the stadium through the main entrance from the English side, you then enter Wales.

It's very much like the border villages where the river running through the village is the border, two pubs 300m apart and one can be fully open for business, but the other not.

I'm also interested to see the evidence that Mark Drakeford and Queen Nicola of Jockland have to prove their policies were better than Boris's.

Anyway, isn't Wales just England's largest county and therefore all this is irrelevant? :)

Wokingham Shot

Post by Wokingham Shot » Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:50 am

The problem with your penultimate paragraph is that there is no way of demonstrating what would have happened if an alternative path had been taken.
We are having the same debate here. 4 weeks ago bars, restaurants and non essential shop were closed with 2500 people in hospital with Covid, and to the booster programme just starting.
Yesterday the number stood at 1,100 with 50% of adults having had their 3rd vaccination.
So;
Have the restrictions worked and so leave them in place till the other 50% have been done; or
Given cases have not dropped, would this have happened anyway so relax some of the regulations?
And if so which ones? UK are saying shopping is the biggest cause, Germany is saying Hospitality, Belgians are saying home mixing, The Netherlands are saying higher education.
There is no answer, but a decision needs to be made. So, as far as I am concerned, so long as the person making the decision provides a sensible supporting strategy which, at the time, makes sense then I will to support it.

Fuggletim

Post by Fuggletim » Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:26 am

Chalkie wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:54 am
Totally agree with the first part of your post, how can Chester FC not be English?
Fuggletim wrote:
An English club, with an English postcode, with an English safety certificate, undoubtedly paying taxes to an English Government and policed by an English Police force.
The second part of your post though is slightly inaccurate and supports the case for the Welsh rules.
Fuggletim wrote:
It is a mere technicality that part of the ground is in Wales! What are they supposed to do? Have no-one in the Welsh part of the ground and 2000 + in the English part?
The stadium car park, main entrance, and some of the offices are in England but the stands and pitch are in Wales.
Once you enter the stadium through the main entrance from the English side, you then enter Wales.

It's very much like the border villages where the river running through the village is the border, two pubs 300m apart and one can be fully open for business, but the other not.

I'm also interested to see the evidence that Mark Drakeford and Queen Nicola of Jockland have to prove their policies were better than Boris's.

Anyway, isn't Wales just England's largest county and therefore all this is irrelevant? :)
Sorry Chalkie, I was of the understanding that part of the pitch and stands were also on the English side of the border.

Whatever the situation, it is ridiculous and brings to mind an unfunny version of the film "The Mouse that Roared!"

Richard Petty

Post by Richard Petty » Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:44 am

Reading the BBC article one thing stood out for me that I would have thought was the determining factor and its this quote:

"Land registry records confirm that the whole site is within the administrative area of Cheshire West & Chester Council"

Surely its the "Administrative" area that takes precedence over geographical location, especially as has also been pointed out responsibility for the safety certificate rests with Cheshire & Chester councils.

Charles Dickens

Post by Charles Dickens » Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:26 am

Not a new situation the ground has not moved or changed so why the sudden problem? This can be sorted out? Hold on I forget, we have the spikey Welsh Nats who have a political agenda.Got it!

Wakefield Shots

Post by Wakefield Shots » Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:39 am

Drakeford is Labour. Look at his record of running the NHS in Wales for years, and you realise the man is incompetent. Add to that the fact that the pandemic has given him and Sturgeon in Scotland power that they only previously could dream of, and you have a toxic mix.

England has the fewest restrictions of any of the UK nations, and the lowest case rate. More and more scientists are saying it is time to stop testing and just live with Covid.

Blair killed the UK with devolution. Time to admit defeat and let them go it alone. England would be better off.

Fuggletim

Post by Fuggletim » Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:50 pm

Wakefield Shots wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:39 am
Drakeford is Labour. Look at his record of running the NHS in Wales for years, and you realise the man is incompetent. Add to that the fact that the pandemic has given him and Sturgeon in Scotland power that they only previously could dream of, and you have a toxic mix.

England has the fewest restrictions of any of the UK nations, and the lowest case rate. More and more scientists are saying it is time to stop testing and just live with Covid.

Blair killed the UK with devolution. Time to admit defeat and let them go it alone. England would be better off.
Your first paragraph has hit the nail as accurately as it could possibly be. You would think that in a worldwide crisis that political agendas would be put aside but with both Drakeford, Sturgeon (and even Macron) just see it as an opportunity.

I just hope that when Ms Sturgeon tries to rally the Scottish Nationalists again for independence, it is drawn to their attention that the Scottish Government were asking for financial support from the UK Government to pay for their restrictions. Hypocrisy is what I call it.

Anyway, rant over and let's hope that sense is seen over Chester FC.

Wakefield Shots

Post by Wakefield Shots » Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:56 pm

Fuggletim wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:50 pm
Wakefield Shots wrote:

Your first paragraph has hit the nail as accurately as it could possibly be. You would think that in a worldwide crisis that political agendas would be put aside but with both Drakeford, Sturgeon (and even Macron) just see it as an opportunity.

I just hope that when Ms Sturgeon tries to rally the Scottish Nationalists again for independence, it is drawn to their attention that the Scottish Government were asking for financial support from the UK Government to pay for their restrictions. Hypocrisy is what I call it.

Absolutely Tim. Hope you're ok mate.

sugrues flying headbutt

Post by sugrues flying headbutt » Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:02 pm

For someone with family across the welsh and Scottish ‘borders’ the pandemic has been much worse as we try and keep track of ever changing restrictions in three ‘countries’. It has also limited on many occasions opportunities for us to meet up as we are effectively subject to the harshest set of restrictions in play at any one time. I doubt this scenario matters much to the nationalists, driven as they are by a jingoistic hatred of the English.

To be fair to Drakeford at least he admitted that Wales economy was not big enough to pay for another furlough scheme, you would not hear that from Queen Nicola.

In retrospect the decision to keep public health matters devolved during the biggest national crisis since WW2 was a poor one. It’s also led to a situation where Wales and Scotland have been quick to lock down and send the bill to Westminster.

I look forward to the public inquiry digging into how the money that has been sent to the devolved administrations has been spent. Me thinks north of the border at least quite a lot of this has been misappropriated.

Richard Petty

Post by Richard Petty » Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:37 pm

Fuggletim wrote:
Wakefield Shots wrote:

The point you make about the financial support that Scotland receives not just during Covid but generally highlights the biggest problem that I see with potential independence. I actually have some sympathy with those Scottish citizens who value their history and national heritage and dream of being independent again, however as far as I can see that is what it should stay just a dream. The harsh reality as I see it (happy to be corrected) is that they cannot afford to be Independent, the only financial asset they have is North Sea oil and not only does that have a limited life span but the demand will within a generation drop to a level that would make further oil field development on a large scale unviable.

bordon shot

Post by bordon shot » Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:55 pm

What a farce, you have to feel for Chester FC over this. The Welsh Government are using them as a political football for no good reason. Chester are affiliated to the English FA, so a small dose of common sense would advise them that this being the case, that they comply with English regulations.

Unfortunately, this is the problem with those that run our countries, common sense goes out of the window & the 2 finger sign goes up to us peasants until the time comes for wanting our vote.

IanShots

Post by IanShots » Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:04 pm

Richard Petty wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:37 pm
Fuggletim wrote:
Wakefield Shots wrote:

The point you make about the financial support that Scotland receives not just during Covid but generally highlights the biggest problem that I see with potential independence. I actually have some sympathy with those Scottish citizens who value their history and national heritage and dream of being independent again, however as far as I can see that is what it should stay just a dream. The harsh reality as I see it (happy to be corrected) is that they cannot afford to be Independent, the only financial asset they have is North Sea oil and not only does that have a limited life span but the demand will within a generation drop to a level that would make further oil field development on a large scale unviable.
Very true Richard!

It is worth noting though that you could say that about many parts of the country. If Cornwall, the North East, Yorkshire etc decided they wanted to be independent then it would be the same argument, which is in reality that they couldn’t survive (or would at least be much poorer) without the successful south or more specifically the power house of London! They are all subsidised by the south.

Fuggletim

Post by Fuggletim » Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:48 pm

Wakefield Shots wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:56 pm
Fuggletim wrote:
Wakefield Shots wrote:

Absolutely Tim. Hope you're ok mate.
Cheers Wakefield! Hope all is well with you too!