Time for an Extra Promotion Place

Les Briley
Re: Time for an Extra Promotion Place

Post by Les Briley » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:28 am

Don't agree with that, being a league club should be a cherished thing, not something that some money man can achieve on a whim, league clubs should protect what they have

IanShots

Post by IanShots » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:57 am

I cant really see why the National isn't Division 3 now and run under the football league accordingly rather than under the amateurs that have been noted over recent times.

CH

Post by CH » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:03 am

2 up 2 down feels about right

IanShots

Post by IanShots » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:40 am

Should be 4 up 4 down

What is the reason for it to be different to other leagues?

HarryTom

Post by HarryTom » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:50 am

CH wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:03 am
2 up 2 down feels about right
Seems ok to me

DaveC

Post by DaveC » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:02 pm

Agree, leave it as it is.
Proud to be "non league", rather than "league 3"

Old Bob

Post by Old Bob » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:14 pm

Poor article. It commits the classic fallacy of selective evidence. Although it mentions Macclesfield as "an exception to the rule" that non-league clubs prosper in the EFL, it omits to mention Rushden & Diamonds or Scarborough or Boston United. Then there are what you might call traditional EFL clubs like Chester, Hereford and York currently plying their trade even lower than us. Or the likes of ourselves and Maidstone, with cameo appearances in the League in recent years.

It's also pretty unbalanced, putting only one side of the argument. There is an upside to stability, allowing clubs to plan long-term (OK, I know they aren't very good at this) and players to have some sort of decent contract that doesn't go TU with relegation. The author seems never to have heard the aphorism "more is less" either. The more clubs are promoted, the less of an achievement it is, cheapening what ought to be something special for a club and its fans.

In short, a bad idea :|

IanShots

Post by IanShots » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:24 pm

Being an Aldershot supporter you should want 4 up 4 down, to succeed in life you have to more single minded!

Although I'm not keen on that fact, it is true. With 2 up 2 down I'm not convinced we will get back in the league in my lifetime.
I'm certainly not "proud" that we are non league!!! :(

shotsboy66

Post by shotsboy66 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:49 pm

IanShots wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:24 pm
Being an Aldershot supporter you should want 4 up 4 down, to succeed in life you have to more single minded!

Although I'm not keen on that fact, it is true. With 2 up 2 down I'm not convinced we will get back in the league in my lifetime.
Feel very much th same Ian. It will need big investment to take us up into the old 4th Division as it were. I often wonder where the club would be had we not had a reprieve in 2019 when Gateshead fell ill financially.

Some would argue that another club ought to have been promoted- rather than a club spared relegation. It certainly looks like this season will be a case of staying in the National league as "drinks all round"

IanShots

Post by IanShots » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:04 pm

shotsboy66 wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:49 pm
IanShots wrote:

Feel very much th same Ian. It will need big investment to take us up into the old 4th Division as it were. I often wonder where the club would be had we not had a reprieve in 2019 when Gateshead fell ill financially.

Some would argue that another club ought to have been promoted- rather than a club spared relegation. It certainly looks like this season will be a case of staying in the National league as "drinks all round"
Just imagine if Borehamwood and Bromley went up this year and Oldham and Scunthorpe come down. Will pretty much have turned into the old division 4 :lol:

Old Bob

Post by Old Bob » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:20 pm

IanShots wrote:
By that logic, we should want 23 up (or 24 in a "normal" year) and 24 down.

Old Bob

Post by Old Bob » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:21 pm

shotsboy66 wrote:
IanShots wrote:

Are you buying, '66 :?: 8)

shotsboy66

Post by shotsboy66 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:17 pm

Old Bob wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:21 pm
shotsboy66 wrote:
IanShots wrote:

Yes Old Bob. Most likely I suspect. All my adult life I`ve had to put my hand in my pocket! By contrast I work with a few people who are so incredibly tight, it beggars belief.

Anyways here`s to a good run from now to seasons end. All the best Old Bob. Stay safe & enjoy your footy!

Old Bob

Post by Old Bob » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:16 pm

shotsboy66 wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:17 pm
Old Bob wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:21 pm
shotsboy66 wrote:

Yes Old Bob. Most likely I suspect. All my adult life I`ve had to put my hand in my pocket! By contrast I work with a few people who are so incredibly tight, it beggars belief.

Anyways here`s to a good run from now to seasons end. All the best Old Bob. Stay safe & enjoy your footy!
It's more blessed to give than to receive (Acts 20:35), ShotsBoy!

Thanks to your workmates, you are truly blessed :lol:

I once had a boss who was prone to say at the end of long week, "It's Friday, I'll buy you a beer". When we got to the bar, he would then say "Oh, I seem to have left my wallet behind, could you see your way to getting these, just this once?" He did it time and time and again. He was a very successful individual (ended up as a Vice-President of Microsoft). There must be a lesson there. Maybe the Bible isn't quite right on this point?